I guess I'm going to have to start running

TheOnlyMidnight

I'm in the process of qualifying and the route I have is easy but I keep getting back to the hub at 8pm. I have one mall plaza with a few businesses maybe 7-8; businesses at most along with a few businesses on the main road and also some residential neighborhoods. There's not a lot of traffic in the neighborhoods and it's a suburban area so some of the houses have long driveways but not a whole lot. When I ran it with the supervisor (and also another driver; unpaid hop on so we met at the mall) they both altered the route in a way where they could hit the houses in a better order to save a lot of time. Now I'm new to the route of course so I don't know the area well and I follow the diad the whole time aside from when I see the black box is an area and it's the only house so I just do it so I don't have to go back. I come in an hour early to organize the spa labels so I can just grab and go and even when I feel like I'm making good progress, I still end up getting done at 8. Mind you, I've only done the route twice by myself since I got done with supervisor ride alongs and have been an extra for my other days. I think I'm going to have to run each and every package off because I can't do the route in the order the supervisor and the other guys that have the route do it that saves them time due to lack of knowledge of the area but I just wanted to ask, am I doing something wrong or is there something I'm missing?

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
orion is *, don't follow it until you've qualified and want to slow down. as you familiarize yourself with your route, you'll see that orion is taking you past houses on your right just to deliver to a house on your left so you can turn around and deliver those previous houses now on your left. don't do that. it will also have you wasting a lot of time trying to find packages from the middle of your shelves at 10am. huge waste of time. scroll through your board until it has you getting rid of a bunch of 1's 2's 3's or 4's. you need room on your shelves to make up for pre load screwing you over.

rather than run every package, spend your lunch hour sorting your shelves and setting up your next 20 or so stops on your 1&2 shelves (and the floor below for bigger packages) so that you can just grab the package and split. since you're also paying ups for that hour before you clock in, you may as well get your first several stops ready. check the addresses of the biggest/heaviest packages blocking your aisle before you leave to see if they are close to any addresses you have NDA so you can clear the middle asap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
You’re not expected to scratch from the get go. Use your time in the beginning to gain area knowledge. The more you run it the more you’ll understand it and it will be second nature to you. If your center allows it then come in and sort off the clock.

TheOnlyMidnight

orion is *, don't follow it until you've qualified and want to slow down. as you familiarize yourself with your route, you'll see that orion is taking you past houses on your right just to deliver to a house on your left so you can turn around and deliver those previous houses now on your left. don't do that. it will also have you wasting a lot of time trying to find packages from the middle of your shelves at 10am. huge waste of time. scroll through your board until it has you getting rid of a bunch of 1's 2's 3's or 4's. you need room on your shelves to make up for pre load screwing you over.

rather than run every package, spend your lunch hour sorting your shelves and setting up your next 20 or so stops on your 1&2 shelves (and the floor below for bigger packages) so that you can just grab the package and split. since you're also paying ups for that hour before you clock in, you may as well get your first several stops ready. check the addresses of the biggest/heaviest packages blocking your aisle before you leave to see if they are close to any addresses you have NDA so you can clear the middle asap.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for this information and the advice

Last edited by a moderator:

TheOnlyMidnight

You’re not expected to scratch from the get go. Use your time in the beginning to gain area knowledge. The more you run it the more you’ll understand it and it will be second nature to you. If your center allows it then come in and sort off the clock.
Okay thanks. They do allow it and I think that helps a lot

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Different guys will have different opinions on your scenario depending on their own building, and what your local’s supplement and or rider says.
In my building, it’s basically known and encouraged for guys to cut corners in training to make it.
THEN, once you make it, you become a professional union brother and start playing the game the right way.
But even typing that out makes me sick to my stomach. Really, a UPS driver should NEVER cut corners, like ever, at all.

TheOnlyMidnight

Different guys will have different opinions on your scenario depending on their own building, and what your local’s supplement and or rider says.
In my building, it’s basically known and encouraged for guys to cut corners in training to make it.
THEN, once you make it, you become a professional union brother and start playing the game the right way.
But even typing that out makes me sick to my stomach. Really, a UPS driver should NEVER cut corners, like ever, at all.
I feel you, I'm more than willing to cut corners just to qualify though and then play the game the right way afterwards

Est.1998

I'm in the process of qualifying and the route I have is easy but I keep getting back to the hub at 8pm. I have one mall plaza with a few businesses maybe 7-8; businesses at most along with a few businesses on the main road and also some residential neighborhoods. There's not a lot of traffic in the neighborhoods and it's a suburban area so some of the houses have long driveways but not a whole lot. When I ran it with the supervisor (and also another driver; unpaid hop on so we met at the mall) they both altered the route in a way where they could hit the houses in a better order to save a lot of time. Now I'm new to the route of course so I don't know the area well and I follow the diad the whole time aside from when I see the black box is an area and it's the only house so I just do it so I don't have to go back. I come in an hour early to organize the spa labels so I can just grab and go and even when I feel like I'm making good progress, I still end up getting done at 8. Mind you, I've only done the route twice by myself since I got done with supervisor ride alongs and have been an extra for my other days. I think I'm going to have to run each and every package off because I can't do the route in the order the supervisor and the other guys that have the route do it that saves them time due to lack of knowledge of the area but I just wanted to ask, am I doing something wrong or is there something I'm missing?
Have you obtained a copy of the driver manifest and did a mock run on the weekend?
Also, get the manifest for that day and go over it when you get off work using google maps when you get home.
The key for me was area knowledge and going over the game tape every day helped a lot.

Fido

It’s extremely hard to not cut corners and scratch. I had to but my corner cuts were only sort off the clock. I sorted in the mornings only my 1,2,3,4000 shelves and during lunch which was when I finished the first sort and moved everything to the front with 5,6,7,8000s. I saw no point in sorting the entire truck and if I had ground with an air that was associated with the back shelves I just found it and put it with the air and that was only if it was a residential stop.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
It’s extremely hard to not cut corners and scratch. I had to but my corner cuts were only sort off the clock. I sorted in the mornings only my 1,2,3,4000 shelves and during lunch which was when I finished there first sort and moved everything to the front with 5,6,7,8000s. I saw no point in sorting the entire truck and if I had ground with an air that was associated with the back shelves I just found it and put it with the air and that was only if it was a residential stop.
I galloped like a gazelle in my packet
Stop complete 1 pkg at a time for Amazon locker 😳
I wish I could go back and beat myself up teamster thug style

Fido

I galloped like a gazelle in my packet
Stop complete 1 pkg at a time for Amazon locker 😳
I wish I could go back and beat myself up teamster thug style
If you have multiple packages for 1 apartment for an amazon locker and don’t put them all in 1 you deserve the dunce cap

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Definitely skip your breaks, but only in your 30 days.

nWo

If you have air and ground for the same stop. Scan them as 2 separate stops. I think that trick still works.