I lost my job because a manager didnt like me

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I have been an employee at ups for over 15 years, I have never had a problem and always loved my job , up until last year that .
A new building manager was appointed to the cerritos hub mid year , I had heard rumers that he was there to clean house. I didnt pay to much attention to this as I am a hard worker and an honest empoyee , so what should I have to watch my back for ??
What I didnt count on was this guy just takeing an immediate dislikeing to me, I`m a well liked person and try my best to be respectful and polite to everyone, what i didnt realise was that it was not me , it was the tattoos I have on my arms . I was told I had to wear long sleeve shirts and must cover them at all times, I wasnt even alowed to order my own uniforms long sleeve shirts were ordered for me. Now I could understand if i had a naked women or vulgarities on my skin that could be offensive, but I have nothing like that at all , its mostly asian , a few cherry blossoms and some koi fish.
This guy was watching everything I did, he would call my center manager to see if I was late punching in , he would check my time everyday and even wrote me up for being 1 minute early takeing my lunch.
I was makeing my first bulk stop of the morning and dislocated my shoulder lifting an oversize package onto the dock, it was in agony , I called the center around 9 30 am and explained my situation to them and was told to wait for a supervisor to arrive . after what seemed like an eternity i was met by an on road sup. I was a little confused as to how he expected me to drive one of the trucks back to the hub , but he explained how I would actually be spending the rest of the day sitting in the jump seat navigating for him.
We returned to the hub around 8.00 pm , that is one of the worst days of my life , I felt sick to my stomach, I had hot chills and was running a fever,
I called in the injury and was told to take off the rest of the week if I wished (rather than go to the clinic ) It was late and i just wanted to get home to see the wife and kids, the thought of a 4 day weekend was very appealing , I had been trying to get a couple of days off for over a month with no luck so thats what i did .
I reported for work 8.30 monday morning feeling ok but I could tell there was something seriusly wrong with my shoulder . I informed my center manager of this and requested a visit to the clinic but he explained how they were very short staffed and if there would be any way I could possibly hold off a couple of days as the staffing should be better towards the middle of the week. Reluctently I agreed to work the Monday but i wasnt sure if I could make it through to Wed and I would play it by ear.
The day went quite well and i got a little help from my center team. On the way into the building i saw a taco truck parked and decided to eat, I called my center team to ask if anyone was hungry and ended up buying a dozen or so tacos for the dispatch and a few sup`s.
After I CLOCKED OUT for the evening I went into the center office to B S and eat a few tacos , I never imagened how a kind guesture could turn around and bite me so hard, i got some grissle out of the taco stck in my throat , not only was I choking but it was hot as hell, I couldnt breath or ask for help all i could do was point at my throat and wonder why no one was doing anything to help me, I could feel myself starting to pass out and was in full panic mode.
luckily for me one of my customers had given me a gift basket that day which included some cheese,crackers varius chips and some bottles of imported beer.
I grabbed one of the beers from the basket and took 2 or 3 huge gulps, dislodgeing the taco from my throat. Forgetting about the pain in my arm and feeling lucky to be alive I went home.
As I was walking towards the time clock tuesday morning around 8.15 I could see the building manager standing by the time clock with a big smile on his face , looking remarkably like the cheshire cat from alice in wonderland. He still had that grin on his face the whole time that I was at my fitness for duty test and also while he terminated my employment for drinking alcahol on company property. I dont know for a fact , but I bet he had a smile on his face when he canceled my health insurance knowing I have 3 children 1 with a heart condition. my insurance ran out 2 days later .
I tried for 3 weeks to get a hold of someone at UPS to take care of my shoulder injury in the end I gave up and hired lawyer .
I have been off work for 8 months now , I have had a major operation on my shoulder and am looking at at least 3 more months of theropy before I will be able to see what use of my arm i will get back. my house is going to for close any day I am eating vicadine like m @ m`s I ` ll be lucky if my family pulls through this one together , my poor wife is going through hell Thank God my children have not been sick and my daughter has not had any problems with her heart , The union has told me dont call us w`ell call you , they are sick of me calling everyday to find out whats going on . How long should this B S take , I just want an answer so I can get on with the rest of my life, .8 months waiting for an arbitration where they will probably can me anyway . Then what? , Ive worked for UPS since i was 18 they have ruined my shoulder and seem to want to ruin my life. there is going to be a lot of you who think this is B.S but please belive me it is not ! it is far from it , please spare me the sarchasm and ridicule , I need some good advice or info as to what I can do to either speed up the arbatration process or what my next move should be

705red

Browncafe Steward
We don`t like drunks at UPS, especially limey drunks! Good riddance!:tongue_sm
Who the friend#$k is we? If you work at ups and dont drink your friend#$ked in the head! Nice response to a fellow upser whos down on his luck and is looking for support, you JAG.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes I thought that was a little RAW, RAW. Some of the things he said sound awful familiar.
First I would draw down anything I could on any moneys you have in UPS to keep your house. Then I would hire a lawyer. 15 yrs is nothing to sneeze at, you should have went for medical care, but I understand the reluctance, hopefully you know better now, (and thats a bridge already crossed) but Ive done the same thing just hoping it would get better. I once almost finsihed a day after a fall, only to find out I broke and ankle and a tailbone. The vicodin thing is that if you take one when you dont need it, it will knock you on your butt, when you need it, it goes to the pain and is used up. I had a condition once where I took 6-750s a day, for 2 weeks and was still in pain, took one for a headache later on left from my stash, and it knocked me out for 12 hrs, which only proves you are in pain, not that you are addicted.
Are you on comp? If so your insurance shouldnt have been canceled? There is alot to your story we may not know. I probaly wouldnt have drunk a beer in the building, as I wouldnt want to ruin a good buzz, and I dont drive home having had any beer in my system. I used to, no more. I wouldnt do that just because of the law, and even tho no one I know could not drive with a beer in their system, it is a law,, and one I cannot afford to break. Lawyer, integrity hotline, letter to the CEO of how you were coereced to work, and prayers. Hope all works out. Good luck.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Boy, I just don't know if I can believe the part about having to drain a couple of gulps because a taco got lodged in your throat. So, a customer gave you a gift basket out of the blue with liquor in it?? Come on, company policy states if a customer gives you liquor you do NOT carry in a UPS package car, you can advise the customer that you will return in your personal auto to retrieve this gift.

You caused this hardship on your family when you grabbed for that bottle of suds and got caught, not because your ctr manager didn't like you...

705red

Browncafe Steward
Boy, I just don't know if I can believe the part about having to drain a couple of gulps because a taco got lodged in your throat. So, a customer gave you a gift basket out of the blue with liquor in it?? Come on, company policy states if a customer gives you liquor you do NOT carry in a UPS package car, you can advise the customer that you will return in your personal auto to retrieve this gift.

You caused this hardship on your family when you grabbed for that bottle of suds and got caught, not because your ctr manager didn't like you...
Where in the company policy does it say that? 20% of my deliveries are booze.

Raw

Raw Member
i got some grissle out of the taco stck in my throat , not only was I choking but it was hot as hell, I couldnt breath or ask for help all i could do was point at my throat and wonder why no one was doing anything to help me, I could feel myself starting to pass out and was in full panic mode.
luckily for me one of my customers had given me a gift basket that day which included some cheese,crackers varius chips and some bottles of imported beer.
I grabbed one of the beers from the basket and took 2 or 3 huge gulps, dislodgeing the taco from my throat.
UK Guy, one does not or can not stop choking by drinking a liquid, your " story " has more holes in it than swiss cheese ( was swiss cheese in your gift basket? ) . :lol:

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
wether you belive it or not, thats what happened I wasnt trying to hide drinking from anyone I was in a room full of sup`s and had already got a property pass off one of them so I could take it home. ing stateing you cant have a closed container of alcahol in your truck, how do you pick up a bottle from a customer when they close at 4 and you dont get off till 7 or 8
drivers get bottles of booze all the time off customers especialy around X mas please tell me on what page of the UPS rule book is that stated. You are right about one thing though , I did cause the hardship on my family , by letting my superviser bully me into working that day with a hurt arm

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I lost my job because I was bullyed into working that day by my stupivisor, I should have been sent to the clinic for my arm and then mone of this would have happened . I wasnt trying to sneek a beer in either, to start with it was hot from being in the truck all afternoon and I didnt care if anyone saw me I was chokeing. your reply to this post is just so typical of what I have come to expect from Management. You have been of no help to me at all .
Thankyou and god bless

over9five

Staff member
15 years in, (so not a kid), and a sup "bullied" you into working injured?

A 15 year UPS veteran was bullied by a sup?

That just doesn't happen...

Anyone with 2 years in knows that!

brownman15

15 years in, (so not a kid), and a sup "bullied" you into working injured?

A 15 year UPS veteran was bullied by a sup?

That just doesn't happen...

Anyone with 2 years in knows that!
yes it ups does it every day especially with injuries do taw or get fired have guys with broken hands and wrist shuttling pkgs and del pks guys with broken ankles to come and sit in office even though it is unsafe for him 2 drive 2 work

brownman15

well i guess we cannot deliver the many boxes of wine and beer to customers if liquor cannot be in package car

hoser

Industrial Slob
i didn't even bother reading this. but all i can say is that you were fired for just cause but you're trying to blame it on a manager's random dislike for you.

but if it was actually harassment like you claim in the thread title, you have streams that you can take through a lawyer or the union.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
well i guess we cannot deliver the many boxes of wine and beer to customers if liquor cannot be in package car

I don't have the policy here in front of me but this pertains to personal gifts of liquor from customers. We are told this before every peak season. Of course commercial beer and wine can be transported if your state allows it..duh!