I need help! 2 bids occured with senority being followed

local804

Thanks all for weighing in. 804's response was rather not helpful. I guess she/he must be immune from making mistakes. I am one of 6 Stewards who does try to protect the rights of 160 or so full and part-time employees. That is why the ask for help from you all.
I feel bad for all 4 employees caught up in this quagmire. 804 you are right as far as the blame laying goes. I don't say BA's and Stewards are blameless in this. 18 months ago I was having my 2nd lumbar surgery an was out for 6 months recovering. Our previous Manager was burnt out and slowly quitting for two years leaving a few messes in his wake. But do I approach an aggrieved employee and fellow Brother Teamster and say "sorry.. you are stupid." ? That sort of violates Article 37 (a) last sentence.

The procedure for routes on the board really doesnt take rocket science 101. It has nothing to do with Local 804 making mistakes or not. When the route is taken off the board(usually 2 weeks) the steward runs down the list and asks in seniority order if the person wants the route. The alternate steward also should know this, along with the other 5 or so steward in your building. Your other scenerio looked like the person had the route, didnt know it was a freshie up for bid. I dont think I said to call the employee stupid, but you have to wonder where his head has been for the last 18 months since putting his name up on that board. There is no language in my locals contract about a 10 day period for a route to be filled or anything on this subject. Article 44 deals with over 70 service and package handling in our master and ends on 39 in our local.

All of our bid sheets have 3 things highlighted when posted.
1.Bid start date
2.bid finsh date
3.date employee starts assigned route.
might want to look into changing your sheets.

ol'browneye

In case#1 I would have to agree with Cementups that the driver should have checked on the winners seniority sooner!
In case#2 I think you have to be available and able to take the route at the time of bidding. We can't bid on routes if we are out on comp and if on vacation it is up to us to find out what comes up for bid while we are gone. I had a co-worker who was out on disablity for colon operation(obviously not work related). I route came up for bid in a center that was closer to his home that he had been looking for. Ended up someone with higher seniority got it anyway, but he would not have won it if he was the high bidder! At least that's the way it is here in the Midwest.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I am a Steward in Santa Cruz, Ca where we have a bit of a dilemma brewing.
In brief: Case #1 involves a 12-year employee just now claiming he was not awarded a bid from September of '06. (18 Months past). A copy of the bid sheet backs his claim. The Manager in charge has since left the company.
The Driver with the claim states he had no knowledge the route was awarded to someone with less seniority. Does he have a case?
Case #2 involves a driver who has just returned from comp after a 1 year absence. A route was bid and awarded 6 months ago without the driver out on comp being notified of the bid. She would like the route. What is the remedy in this case?

The new Manager has basically asked us to resolve this issue as we the union reps.

Any and all help is very much appreciated.
case # 2: We have a comp driver thats been out for 2 yrs. The case is still being arbitrated. The route absolutely has not been put up for bid and can't be until the case is settled.

upsmanckp

Many thanks to all who took the time to weigh-in on these issues. I appreciate having a forum where we can interact and solicit advice from each other.

Johney

the winning answer
Maybe where you are but things are differant everywhere. Can't really help with problem 1 but like stated above probably not filed timely.

Problem 2: Here you have to be told(by a fellow driver) when a bid is posted while out on comp. We had a greivance filed by some drivers who didn't want guys/gals on comp to be able to bid while out. They lost. I bid my current rte on a center rebid and got it while on comp. Called center manager everyday checking to see when my turn came up(also told by freinds how far down the list they were).

Big Babooba

thats wrong when you are comp you still have seniority someone from your center should call you when route is put up for bid
Out here, a person on comp at bid time is not allowed to bid. Upon returning to work, that person is allowed to bid any job provided they have the seniority an qualifications. The displaced employee gets to bump somebody lower and that third person works as directed.

upsmanckp

Our Nor-cal rider states"A driver on leave of absence, Vacation, disability,etc., shall not be deprived the opportunity .......The company will notify the above defined drivers of any openings within the defined bidding period.

In case #2 this did not happen.

One thing I have learned and am sad about is that our union does not protect all of us equally throughout the country.
A lot of responses tell me Comp drivers have no rights in their geographic region. Do not sit back and allow that status quo to continue. Advice given a little late since we just passed the :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:tiest contract ever IMO.

D

driver x

Do you have any language that speaks to a time limit on the bid being filled after it has been up fot the time limit? Here the bid must stay up for 5 days and must be filled within 10 days after that.

Isn`t there a thirty day time limit for a seniority violation in 705? Or at least there used to be.

pkg-king

Maybe where you are but things are differant everywhere. Can't really help with problem 1 but like stated above probably not filed timely.

Problem 2: Here you have to be told(by a fellow driver) when a bid is posted while out on comp. We had a greivance filed by some drivers who didn't want guys/gals on comp to be able to bid while out. They lost. I bid my current rte on a center rebid and got it while on comp. Called center manager everyday checking to see when my turn came up(also told by freinds how far down the list they were).

Around here, if you're out on comp. you don't get to bid, you have to be available to work to be able to bid.

upsmanckp

The unofficial Verdict of our meeting this am: Case #1 has no case, he waited too long.

Case #2 has just cause to get the route she was never given the opportunity to bid on in direct violation of or Nor Cal rider.

I will post more when it becomes official.

We have learned a lot from this and will apply what we have learned in the future. You all have helped me to that end and I again thank you.
Chris

705red

Browncafe Steward
Isn`t there a thirty day time limit for a seniority violation in 705? Or at least there used to be.
If there is no language to how long before a bid must be filled (as in 705 were you have 10 days) than he should have won the bid. He was the highest bidder and just because he has not done the route he should not be penalized, unless the language has a time limit.