I need help with a driver release procedure

Dustyroads

I consider an on car sup, a pretty low level supervisor in the grander scheme of authority. Over,I'm beginning to think you are a supervisor.

In the situation I mentioned above I have had managers threaten me for not getting the trl there on time. I ask the to put it in writing or give me the order in front of another driver-witness or a steward and they always back down,why is that?

Work as directed unless it is illegal,immoral,or unsafe. As far as the original subject,if you were out swinging a route and had no idea your customer was elderly/disabled then deliver the way you feel is best. But on my route I had elderly/disabled customers and I went out of the way to take care of them. The sup can talk all he wants but it would never go anywhere to try and discipline the driver on that subject.

Dustyroads

No, it's simply that you insist on defending a supervisor's position, regardless of how unreasonable it is, under the guise of "work as directed".

That sounds a lot like a management line.

over9five

Staff member
We'll have to agree to disagree. It has been a fun thread, tho!

Gotta go to work!

(Hope my drivers don't give me any problems, and work as directed!)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree we need to work as directed.
I dont always think a sup knows the methods.
I think many of us have more yrs and experience on road than them. If any sup I have would tell me to do it, I would have questioned him, by that time they would have been at the door. Ive had ride alongs tell me to get my air off with ground to eliminate the stop later. Which I love to do, I also know the clock keeps ticking. If I have time I will, If I dont air is priority. I calmly tell them, Ill do what you want but we will have late air. There are many times I can learn from them, sometimes they have to learn from US.
That isnt anti management, that is common sense.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I had two ojs rides with this sup and I have one more to go this week but once this it is over I will wait for the elderly customer . My question is do I have do this with the regular costumer 'Wave and leave pkg" and if there a set polices or is it just the polices of whoever is my on car sup at the time . I know all sup have different polices I had on tell me its ok to cross in front of the pkg car as long as it’s a rural rd and ok to dr at apts in plain sight . I also know that I will be ask to produce the same numbers as my ojs rides.

Dustyroads

supervisor's policies really aren't ups policies. For example, you say you've been told it's "ok to dr at apts in plain sight". That policy and others are spelled out in the training you should have received, we all had to complete a dr training in the diad recently. Regardless of what your sup says, if you dr a package at an apt in plain sight, you have violated ups policy and training, and that trumps your supervisor, hands down.

As for regular customers, if they are a distance away, you can set the pkg down and wave. Remember, just because you see them, you need to make sure they see you, and know their package is there, particularly if you aren't placing it in a dr location that is out of sight and out of the weather.

Most of the training stuff is now through the diad, and that's what the real policy is.

I had two ojs rides with this sup and I have one more to go this week but once this it is over I will wait for the elderly customer . My question is do I have do this with the regular costumer 'Wave and leave pkg" and if there a set polices or is it just the polices of whoever is my on car sup at the time . I know all sup have different polices I had on tell me its ok to cross in front of the pkg car as long as it’s a rural rd and ok to dr at apts in plain sight . I also know that I will be ask to produce the same numbers as my ojs rides.

Your sup may tell you to do something but he will also be the first one to admonish you when the complaints or missing package claims come in. You need to do what is correct and sometimes thats not what a sup tells you.

OVERBOARD

supervisor's policies really aren't ups policies. For example, you say you've been told it's "ok to dr at apts in plain sight". That policy and others are spelled out in the training you should have received, we all had to complete a dr training in the diad recently. Regardless of what your sup says, if you dr a package at an apt in plain sight, you have violated ups policy and training, and that trumps your supervisor, hands down.

As for regular customers, if they are a distance away, you can set the pkg down and wave. Remember, just because you see them, you need to make sure they see you, and know their package is there, particularly if you aren't placing it in a dr location that is out of sight and out of the weather.

Most of the training stuff is now through the diad, and that's what the real policy is.
I was wondering in all your years of training did a sup ever told you to wave and leave the pkg its UPS policy. Its the first time i've heard it in all my years

I was wondering in all your years of training did a sup ever told you to wave and leave the pkg its UPS policy. Its the first time i've heard it in all my years

It`s something along the lines of "making contact with the customer". Honking as you arrive at the house,ringing the doorbell,calling out UPS,seeing the customer and giving a wave. It also allows you to put "met customer (man or woman)" etc,instead of putting "dr (location)" which can help reduce claims. I may be a tad rusty since being out of pkg car for 15 years but it`s still how I would do it today.

Dustyroads

I delivered packages for several years before we began driver releasing packages. And, when we were first trained on driver release, and a few times since, they said, if we see the customer coming to the door, or see them in the yard...we leave the package, wave, make eye contact, point to the package, etc. Where this applies, say your customer is mowing in the back yard. You see them, smile, hold the package up where they can see it, place it on the porch, turn, smile, wave. Or, if you go to the door, and knock, and someone says, just a minute, who is it, etc., you say, UPS, your package is by the door. That is a very different situation from going to a residence where you see an elderly woman with a walker through the window.

And just for sake of the conversation just how many years do you have since you are buying something this sup says that you are coming across as feeling as not being the correct thing to do?

OVERBOARD

I've been driving for 13 years and when I was trained its was beep the horn, yell ups and knock on the door and if no answer dr pkg in safe area and if the customer is in the same room of the door I'm knocking on to hand them the pkg. Now that’s its summer and everyones door is open my sup as directed me to leave pkg at the door when I see the customer even if there 2 feet away and in which I replied I thought that was rude and not never good customer service that’s what fed ex ground does. Then I got really piss off when he yell to me to leave the pkg when I was at the house of the elderly lady. I told him she old and cannot lift the pkg He inform me that he does not care and to leave the pkg.

OVERBOARD

I know what he is trying to do improve my numbers at all cost so when i get to the office then can say see what you did when the sup was with you. Then they will hold me to those numbers even if it only 10 mins . They just dont care as long as they get the numbers they want.

I've been driving for 13 years and when I was trained its was beep the horn, yell ups and knock on the door and if no answer dr pkg in safe area and if the customer is in the same room of the door I'm knocking on to hand them the pkg. Now that’s its summer and everyones door is open my sup as directed me to leave pkg at the door when I see the customer even if there 2 feet away and in which I replied I thought that was rude and not never good customer service that’s what fed ex ground does. Then I got really piss off when he yell to me to leave the pkg when I was at the house of the elderly lady. I told him she old and cannot lift the pkg He inform me that he does not care and to leave the pkg.

Then he`s a tool. You are doing the correct thing by showing courtesy to the customer. Short of him riding with you again he`ll never know that you do it and your stop times will average out.

wannabeups

Want to have some fun with it?

Leave the package with a note on it next time. "Supervisor requests I laeve the package on the ground and not hand it to you in person. If I do not follow this procedure I will lose my job. If you have a problem, I encourage you to call this phone number **corporate number**. Leave supervisors name and name of center on said piece of paper. :)

That is a good idea.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I know what he is trying to do improve my numbers at all cost so when i get to the office then can say see what you did when the sup was with you. Then they will hold me to those numbers even if it only 10 mins . They just dont care as long as they get the numbers they want.

waiting a sec or two isnt going to make your day automatically better. what would happen if this elderly person fell and broke a hip, considering you have always made an effort to hand it to her, now you dont and she falls....could be a touchy situation for ups legally, considering you KNOW she is elderly and might have an issue with bending over.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Correct!

Your sup doesnt care about service or safety. He just wants a number.

If I were in your situation I would remind the sup that, ultimately, it is your responsibility to follow "safe" DR methods and that if there is any doubt in your mind you will simply start getting signatures for every delivery that you feel "might" be a potential claim.

Using this logic a driver can theoretically refuse to DR just about anywhere.... you saw a dog half a block away, didnt want the package to get chewed. You could still see the outline of the package under the door mat. You didnt want the package to get wet. You didnt want to go to the back yard because you didnt "feel" it was safe, etc etc etc. Everything is a judgement call.

Stand up for yourself and do the right thing, and your sup will find someone else to harass. The fact that he would actually instruct you not to help an elderly person shows just how fearful, petty and desperate he really is.