I really want to be hired as a package handler but my application is just "On File"

Nimnim

The Nim
On file means just that, you're on file. When you move from that depends on turnover and how many other applicants there are. I'm assuming you haven't done a tour or interview yet, but do you know anyone who works for the location you're applying to? If so I'd suggest you ask them to talk to their shift manager about how great you'd be. Then the shift manager might get in touch with HR to push you forward in line.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
attitude is everything. go in with a good attitude and you'll be fine.

good luck and post back after you get hired and work a couple weeks.

AlliSeeisBrown

Hah, I work a labor job at a house remodeling or construction. I lift 100 pounds frequently, I am not going to get exhausted at all, I view this job as less than my job, 4-6 hours short than my job, with benefits. Ever carry a barrel of asphalt roof? No? It ways a ton. So this job to me is like a step down in the pain, especially after 2 years, yea I was that dedicated. Soon as I went through a surgery though, they cut me off fast, knew i was useless for about a month and up to 3 more because I didnt want medical prooblems still needing to heal. That aside though, I will apply to fedex, if they ever hire in my damn area.
I love when people compare this job to their other physical job and have never actually done this job.
2dceh6

a>

2dceh6.jpg

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Hah, I work a labor job at a house remodeling or construction. I lift 100 pounds frequently, I am not going to get exhausted at all, I view this job as less than my job, 4-6 hours short than my job, with benefits. Ever carry a barrel of asphalt roof? No? It ways a ton. So this job to me is like a step down in the pain, especially after 2 years, yea I was that dedicated. Soon as I went through a surgery though, they cut me off fast, knew i was useless for about a month and up to 3 more because I didnt want medical prooblems still needing to heal. That aside though, I will apply to fedex, if they ever hire in my damn area.
You are in for a rude awakening. I did construction during the day and ups at night until I became a driver. FedEx pays more for part time. But the health benefits are garbage and so is the full time driver pay. If you plan on making this your career. Do yourself a favor and don't bother with FedEx.

MDX91

It's not how much you can lift until the end of the night with the irregs, and being able to lift those doesn't matter much because there's usually help if you need it. It's how long you can lift 50 pound boxes at a fast pace. Probably an average of 1600 a night. No, not all of them are 50-70 but my point is that they're not light and the light :censored2: is usually bagged and those can get pretty heavy too. You're doing it for 3.5-6 hours with no breaks. When I started I knew it wasn't going to be a cake walk, but I thought I was pretty fit and could manage. And you can at first, you just notice that the boxes are a bit heavier than you thought but not so heavy that you can't do them. And then you get an hour into the night you start to feel it. And halfway through the night you are spent. Repeat for a few weeks slowly improving a little every day. And during those first few weeks you will question why you are doing this. And even after you've been there a while some nights will still beat the :censored2: out of you. That said, I really like my job. It's just brutal adjusting to it no matter how fit you are. And I agree with sandwich, FedEx doesn't have the opportunities that UPS does. Pays more up front but that's it.

CoolStoryBro

Anyone know what on file means? Am I just waiting for someone to quit their job so I can take theirs? I really want to be hired, its the most ideal job to me. Feels depressing just being On File and not knowing. Almost like I'll be scrubbed away.

A lot of time they interview people in anticipation of employees quitting. When I was interviewed they were straight up honest about that. They had no positions but expected college students to quit for summer.

In your case they might be anticipating a strike. And you would be a replacement for a striking UPSer. Don't do it if that happens. you will be gotten rid of when the strike ends.

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?

It’s a step up in pain. Given your background you may enjoy the work and won’t be a problem, but you’re underestimating your role at UPS.

KoennenTiger

It’s a step up in pain. Given your background you may enjoy the work and won’t be a problem, but you’re underestimating your role at UPS.

Man I could be back building walls in a 150 degree trailer again.

It's just like playing Tetris. Durh don't you like video games dude here's some minimum wage

Zowert

At my center they can't hire enough handlers, the turn over rate here is ridiculous. Every day I see two or three people standing in the guard shack on my way into work, they're waiting on interviews. I've only been here a few months and already seen loaders come and go. I was hired off the street as a driver so I can't give you any advice on package handling work, but I know if your local center is anything like mine you'll be hired before you know it. Apply online routinely and keep yourself occupied in the mean time. It took me over two years and at least a dozen apps to get an interview.