I screwed up and I don’t know if I can fix this :( :(

I’m 90% certain I’m going to get fired next week.

I’ve been at my location a little over a year. My boyfriend and I used to have a friend who worked at the same spot and he got canned for bad attendance. I also made the same mistakes, in large part because my boyfriend would demand I not waste the gas money to go in when management kept asking me to go in for one hour. When I pointed out what happened to our friend, my boyfriend’s response was that “you’re union they can’t fire you for poor attendance”.

Unfortunately I have that many write-ups because I was an idiot and believed him. I shouldn’t have, but it’s difficult because I live with him. If I didn’t I probably wouldn’t have listened to him as much as I did. Despite the efforts I made to attempt to get better at this, I was late twice in a row this week and got written up again. The supervisor who did so did not have a union rep present so I don’t know if it will stick, or what I should do.

If I lose this job I will be unable to afford to go to nursing school. I am in tears right now.

Worst case scenario, if I do get fired how many months/years will I have to wait until I can get rehired? I literally can’t afford classes or health insurance without this job.

EDIT: My boyfriend is aware that I’m on thin ice. Despite this, we got into a fight Sunday night because I had to go in. They sent me home 90 minutes later and he got mad at me for wasting gas. :(

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

I’ve been at my location a little over a year. My boyfriend and I used to have a friend who worked at the same spot and he got canned for bad attendance. I also made the same mistakes, in large part because my boyfriend would demand I not waste the gas money to go in when management kept asking me to go in for one hour. When I pointed out what happened to our friend, my boyfriend’s response was that “you’re union they can’t fire you for poor attendance”.

Unfortunately I have that many write-ups because I was an idiot and believed him. I shouldn’t have, but it’s difficult because I live with him. If I didn’t I probably wouldn’t have listened to him as much as I did. Despite the efforts I made to attempt to get better at this, I was late twice in a row this week and got written up again. The supervisor who did so did not have a union rep present so I don’t know if it will stick, or what I should do.

If I lose this job I will be unable to afford to go to nursing school. I am in tears right now.

Worst case scenario, if I do get fired how many months/years will I have to wait until I can get rehired? I literally can’t afford classes or health insurance without this job.

EDIT: My boyfriend is aware that I’m on thin ice. Despite this, we got into a fight Sunday night because I had to go in. They sent me home 90 minutes later and he got mad at me for wasting gas. :(
Better start looking for a job you gone
Tell boyfriend he’s a :censored2: bag

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Why aren't you getting paid your guaranteed hours?

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
A) Demand your 3.5 hour guarantee every time you punch in.

B) Tell your boyfriend to pound sand. He doesn’t own you.

C) When they try to write you up or discipline you in any way, it is *your* responsibility to make sure you have a union rep present. Certain managers will try to do this stuff without a steward around in order to put pressure on you. Stand your ground and don’t talk to them about anything related to this issue without a steward.

Good luck. Everywhere is short staffed right now. If this doesn’t work out you will find something else. Keep your head up.

Rack em

Made the Podium
If the company hasn't followed progressive discipline, then she can't be fired. And if she was disciplined without a steward present then that will be thrown out as well.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
If the company hasn't followed progressive discipline, then she can't be fired. And if she was disciplined without a steward present then that will be thrown out as well.

She's got at least a couple suspensions before getting canned.

@FutureNurse, just keep going in, you're most likely going to be ok. Make sure you're getting your guaranteed pay, and tell your bf you get paid a minimum amount no matter how many hours you actually work.

Talk to a steward, they can help you figure out if you've been shorted any pay. If so they can help you get any back pay you might be owed. Also have them explain to you where you stand as far as discipline is concerned.

Poop Head

Judge me.

Sounds like you need a new man.

Are you going to change your screen name if you get let go?

On topic.

I'd like to help.
I probably will since being a CNA doesn’t pay enough to cover the basics much less tuition. The tuition reimbursement through UPS was my only option because I have a previous bachelor’s degree, and the US government doesn’t allocate grant money for students with previous bachelor’s degrees.

I was already written up 3 times with a steward present. Steward was also present when I was told they would be skipping the suspension and going straight to termination.

She's got at least a couple suspensions before getting canned.

@FutureNurse, just keep going in, you're most likely going to be ok. Make sure you're getting your guaranteed pay, and tell your bf you get paid a minimum amount no matter how many hours you actually work.

Talk to a steward, they can help you figure out if you've been shorted any pay. If so they can help you get any back pay you might be owed. Also have them explain to you where you stand as far as discipline is concerned.
I believe I was shorted a few times by one of the managers, but he switched sorts so he’s someone else’s problem now. But that was what set my boyfriend off. I hate myself right now for listening to him. I possibly ruined my entire future because I believed someone I thought had my best interests at heart.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I was already written up 3 times with a steward present. Steward was also present when I was told they would be skipping the suspension and going straight to termination.
Yeah they can't skip steps in the disciplinary procedure. You cannot be fired so don't worry, and try to fix your attendance issues!

Yeah they can't skip steps in the disciplinary procedure. You cannot be fired so don't worry, and try to fix your attendance issues!
Yeah I basically can’t go home between my day job and UPS anymore because rush hour is killing me, which was what screwed me tonight. The night before I left my apartment to go to work and forgot my keys, managing to lock myself out due to the lock on the doorknob. Despite calling ahead and letting them know I was calling maintenance to let me back into my apartment, I think they counted that one against me too. And yes I did call when I was on my way as well.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Yeah I basically can’t go home between my day job and UPS anymore because rush hour is killing me, which was what screwed me tonight. The night before I left my apartment to go to work and forgot my keys, managing to lock myself out due to the lock on the doorknob. Despite calling ahead and letting them know I was calling maintenance to let me back into my apartment, I think they counted that one against me too. And yes I did call when I was on my way as well.
You seem to have a lot of excuses
Get to work on time and your problems will go away