I wonder how many drivers have never used a clipboard

Johney

:laugh: Don't you remember having to tear off AOD's, Nda,2Day,Cod's labels and turning them in at night. It was a good time at night in the breakroom talking with the other drivers while you did all your paperwork.
If you were doing paperwork in the break room then you did not do a "PROGRESSIVE TURN-IN":lol: anyone remember that OJS term??

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
323-999 all must remember that one.(hint) J.C ??????:tongue_sm

If you are thinking JC Penney, then I thought it was 322-758, although its been a while. My Hub was built down the street from one of their largest Distribution Centers, they used to be the biggest shipper in my state. They shut it down a few years ago and moved to Columbus, Ohio. I do remember 320-000, that is Avon. The DIAD 1 came out in 1991, so if you were hired then, you didn't do paper records.

Sammie

Wasn't it "fun" using paper in the good old days? Sheeting while you walk; sheeting in the rain; changing pages and carbon paper-oh yes! Draw a line and circle the number of packages under it. Circle duplicate stops and uncollected CODs. And then they threw a monkey wrench into the whole thing and brought out the new delivery record pads.It's all coming back to me now. I think that I'll have myself committed. ARRRGH

Not only that, but how many folks here have never stuck their arm out of the car window to signal, used a rotary phone, listened to an 8 track tape or used the words "groovy" or "foxy". Or know who Mr. Bill is...:lol:

old levi's

blank space
Not only that, but how many folks here have never stuck their arm out of the car window to signal, used a rotary phone, listened to an 8 track tape or used the words "groovy" or "foxy". Or know who Mr. Bill is...:lol:

Had a 4 track tape player prior to the 8 track. The tape was placed on top of the player and the idler wheel mounted on an offset arm pivoted up out of the player deck through a hole in the back of the tape cartridge. Back in the day.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
If we go back to paper can I get my time allowance back?

NO! You also have to start paying for your own pens.

I used the same clipboard for years. I still use it everyday to carry some maps and ASD labels. Anybody ever sharpen the side of your clip to cut COD tags off? I would go back to paper in a heartbeat if all we had was the shipper number and an ID. NO more handing the DIAD to someone and having them turning it around or looking like a deer caught in headlights trying to figure out which end of the stylus to use.

rod

Retired 22 years
Put many thousands of miles on a P400. Loading about 10 stops on the big shelf up front sure made it easier to remember your next stop. I remember when UPS finally put seat belts in my 400. At that time the drivers seat was made to tilt forward so you could walk behind it to deliver out of the drivers door. It took them almost a year to weld the seat bracket down so in otherwords if you had a head on crash you were strapped into the seat but the seat itself would tilt forward. Nice! :)

BigBrownSanta

NO more handing the DIAD to someone and having them turning it around or looking like a deer caught in headlights trying to figure out which end of the stylus to use.

Or hitting the signature button and flipping the screen after they've starting writing. I wonder who the brainchild was behind that one...

DS

Fenderbender
Let's not forget the receivers first initial and last name on all those tear-off air labels!

I remember one business that got 50 a day. I'd line them up and sheet them while the receiver was right behind me filling in his name.

Big Babooa...great thread,my sup said I was a good sheetwriter... and over9 you wont believe it,but I had a 3 pc shipment a month ago with the old peel off NDA labels...the diad had no problem with it.
How about the old yellow pickup books,with the rubber stamp that
had to go on each pkg.I miss one time pickups too.God I'm old.

Big Babooba

Big Babooa...great thread,my sup said I was a good sheetwriter... and over9 you wont believe it,but I had a 3 pc shipment a month ago with the old peel off NDA labels...the diad had no problem with it.
How about the old yellow pickup books,with the rubber stamp that
had to go on each pkg.I miss one time pickups too.God I'm old.

No , your not old - just less young.

HazMatMan

Ah yes, air walking was fun in the days before the diad, where you could deliver at 3 different stops in the matter of 2 or 3 minutes, first stop- 10:27, 2nd stop- 10:28, third stop- 10:29... all within a 12 block radius, amazing how fast we were back then, lol...... Anybody remember the 10:30 next day air committment???? No early am's either, no next day savers... just next day, second day..

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
Remember the old P400s. Flat nosed little Grummans (I think). Had a tray in the cab for your next several stops. If you were over 5'5" tall, (I am 6'3") you bumped your head about 30 times a day. Most of them had about 18" play in the steering. Always an adventure.

You forgot to mention the 4 wheel disk brake system...I loved pumping the brakes before driving down a big hill.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
I had a couple record companies on my training route who would get 100+ piece bulk stops of single albums and 45s(remember vinyl LPs an 45s). I would "sheet" the shipper number for the first pkg only and just the id numbers for the rest. Would fill in the shipper number for the other 99 pkgs at the end of day.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
speaking of losing things out the passenger door while driving, I was driving a P10 and the engine cover rubber snaps (in front of gear stick, where the DVIR is kept) gave way, and immediately I was hit with hot engine wind that startled me, and before I could react, The whole plastic assembly went out the passenger door while doing 60. I was in the middle lane, and I did not dare look in my mirror to see what happened. I just kept driving. When I got back and told my manager what happened, they told to write it up in the dvir, and I told them, that book was gone too. THey didnt seem too concerned about it.
you fault that should have been pre/tripped AVOIDABLE see me when you get in ha ha ha

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
how about all those shipping books the big places had the srm book the blue one the pink one the green one ,that sucked,that was 100 wght:w00t: