I wonder how many drivers have never used a clipboard

DorkHead

Oh boy, I had a bulk stop first in the A.M. with 400 return hair perm kits. 6x9x2" Had to sheet every one and print the receivers name above the shipper number. Started at 8:30 and left there at 11:15, one stop completed. punched out 9:30 that night.

reydluap

Back in the late 70's /early 80's, I had a route that was all Rural Routes in 5 different area numbered regions. I was parked outside the building with the furnace just inside the loading door. In the winter, I would pre-sheet ALL my packages/stops on 5 different clipboards before I would leave the building with the back doors open to the dock. I kept warm and dry and my records were neat. It would take about 45 minutes to pre sheet a load and away I went. I'd see people on the street and would "peddle" stops all day on the route.

Another trick, all year long I would do "favors" for the Amish farmers on my route. Delivering parts to farm fields,barns or were ever. In return their "favor" to me was, on Christmas Eve day, I could leave ALL the Amish stops at the Elder's Amish house (since the Amish have Church on Christmas at the Elder's home) and I could be off work by 2pm and home with my family.

Aaaah the good ol' days. Man do I miss 'em!

I'd just like to find the S.O.B. that has never delivered a package for UPS and Shove his Shift Key were the sun don't shine. You know,the Alpha/Numerical mode up his :censored2:..........

Done with my rant......LOL!!

rod

Retired 22 years
Anyone remember the sheet writing audits? You'd come in and there would be 10 suits sitting at tables waiting for your clipboards. There'd always be one or two drivers that had bulk stops that hadn't put in all the shipper numbers. We had one driver that always got 100% on his audits, his writing was so bad no one could read what he wrote.
How about the Sheet Writing Tests. They would spring that on us a couple of times a year. Always in the morning so you were an additional half hour late getting out of the building (if you actually answered every question like you were suppose to) . One year I copied all the correct answers and saved them with carbon copies. From then on I would just turn in a carbon copy and spend a half hour bull****ting with the guys. They knew but didn't care. Just as long as everyone had "passed" the test.:wink:

Griff

Started driving with Diad2 or 3, I can't remember which. Count me out for clipboards, collecting cash, etc.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
i remember the first few yrs we had diad we called em electronic clipboards and taking the inf likr stop count by area and p/up cods all info total and writing it all down on the white time card

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Anyone remember the sheet writing audits?

Just threw away a jacket of my wifes today during our move. It was a SWAT (sheet writing accuracy test) jacket she won while driving years ago. Pretty garish in UPS brown with SWAT in white letters down the sleeves. I believe it was for hitting 100% for like a year straight.

Also uncovered her first UPS coat. I'll have to take a picture of it and post. It was a little short midriff coat that is scratchy as hell. We are complete opposites with this stuff. I keep nothing and she saves everything.

DIAD one came out in 1991 in my center. Only used paper a few times. Mostly when I was a pt sup.

Leftinbuilding

Just threw away a jacket of my wifes today during our move. It was a SWAT (sheet writing accuracy test) jacket she won while driving years ago. Pretty garish in UPS brown with SWAT in white letters down the sleeves. I believe it was for hitting 100% for like a year straight.

Also uncovered her first UPS coat. I'll have to take a picture of it and post. It was a little short midriff coat that is scratchy as hell. We are complete opposites with this stuff. I keep nothing and she saves everything.

My first UPS coat was called the "Ike". Made like a Levi jacket and (I thought) very nice looking.

dammor

I started in 1980 so I remember the clipboards, collecting too much cash, and when the weight limit here in Texas was 50#.

I think the hardest change to get use to (before PAS of course) was when we started delivering NDA. It didn't affect me much in the mornings because I was on an extended run. The problem was getting it back to the center. We didn't seem to have a good plan for that. Shocking, I know. We had a driver here that drove 90 miles to get his NDA in and then drove back 90 miles to finish his run. Got in at 11:30 that night. After that they decided we needed a plan.

We also had no way to communicate with the center or anyone else if we broke down in
the middle of nowhere. No cell phones. I must say I liked it better when we didn't get 20 messages a day reminding us to do the most basic things though. Yes, I am old...

retired2000

how about the pagers they gave us to use. would get beeped, had to fine a phone to use. found out it was a wrong number. lost alot of time doing that every day.