IBT on the cameras

Whither

Scofflaw
UPS would not know how to operate on a even and level playing field.
We've gotta hold Teamsters United to their word and, I think, swing for the fences. For example, I'll be happy to concisely and passionately defend the removal of all "no strike clauses" from our contracts. I don't care that it's not a "realistic" goal. Obviously there were serious problems with the Teamsters back in the early 70s (*ahem* the mafia's control of the union), but I was just talking with a fiery retiree who remembers what it was like for the union to hold its own trump card. He told me his BA would remind the center manager, "We can settle this right now or I'll go grab the picket signs."

The more I learn about the grievance procedure, the more I loathe it. We have gotten bogged down in a bureaucratic process that, no surprise, has largely benefited the company. The cameras are case in point. They refused to bargain, we should've hit the street.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
We've gotta hold Teamsters United to their word and, I think, swing for the fences. For example, I'll be happy to concisely and passionately defend the removal of all "no strike clauses" from our contracts. I don't care that it's not a "realistic" goal. Obviously there were serious problems with the Teamsters back in the early 70s (*ahem* the mafia's control of the union), but I was just talking with a fiery retiree who remembers what it was like for the union to hold its own trump card. He told me his BA would remind the center manager, "We can settle this right now or I'll go grab the picket signs."

The more I learn about the grievance procedure, the more I loathe it. We have gotten bogged down in a bureaucratic process that, no surprise, has largely benefited the company. The cameras are case in point. They refused to bargain, we should've hit the street.
We all walked out of the building when they sprung the over 70s on us.

We all walked out of the building when they sprung the over 70s on us.

When was the last time someone in your building asked for help with an over 70? And did they send a sup to help?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The union lets the company do what it wants until the pensions are stabilized. As much as I hate government bail outs of any sort, bailing our pensions out will at least unhobble the union in that regard.

Whither

Scofflaw
It's been years since anyone in my building asked for help. Usually leave them for an air driver to deliver.
Plenty of us ask for and receive help from fellow hourlies at my building. Not enough, true, but dealing with nasty over-70s goes hand in hand with our efforts to try and give drivers a firm basis of contractual knowledge and to encourage them to follow the methods, so they're not afraid to enforce the contract.

Plenty of us ask for and receive help from fellow hourlies at my building. Not enough, true, but dealing with nasty over-70s goes hand in hand with our efforts to try and give drivers a firm basis of contractual knowledge and to encourage them to follow the methods, so they're not afraid to enforce the contract.
Or are you afraid you'll break a nail?