If I am punched out?????

TJC

Got a question for I hope some union savy people. If I am punched out and my supervisor says hey I need you to take missloads I am off the clock do I have to take them? I am not on there time anymore.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Got a question for I hope some union savy people. If I am punched out and my supervisor says hey I need you to take missloads I am off the clock do I have to take them? I am not on there time anymore.

They can tell you to clock back in. You have to work as instructed. If you want to go home and there is a qualified employee with less seniority than you who is available to do the work, you should have the right to bump the unwanted work down to that person.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Maybe you should wait for an answer from TOS....the self-proclaimed best steward in the world and the only champion of all Teamsters ever to come along!! (you're suppose to bow now)

menotyou

bella amicizia
They can tell you to clock back in. You have to work as instructed. If you want to go home and there is a qualified employee with less seniority than you who is available to do the work, you should have the right to bump the unwanted work down to that person.
I have always disagreed with this argument. If you are clocked out, they can't order you to do anything. If you are ON the clock, then I agree with working as directed. Not off the clock.

QKRSTKR

I have always disagreed with this argument. If you are clocked out, they can't order you to do anything. If you are ON the clock, then I agree with working as directed. Not off the clock.

Right, but we are contracted to do their work. If there is no one else available, don't you want a teamster doing it instead of management? If they are only one available they should do it.

ocstreetracer

This is what i do

At my ups facility if management ask me to do something after I'm clocked out then I tell them to friend-Off and keep walking to my car. You should do the same. Know your rights!

Re: This is what i do

At my ups facility if management ask me to do something after I'm clocked out then I tell them to friend-Off and keep walking to my car. You should do the same. Know your rights!

Rights are what you`ll be doing. Rights on down to unemployment.

UPSGUY72

I would say ok. But I first need to punch back in.

DON'T DO ANY WORK OFF THE CLOCK no matter how trivial, if you got hurt for some reason you would be SOL.

CYA

talkwith

We've run into this several times. Our union rep told us that if we are punched out we cannot be disciplined for failure to follow instructions. It is the same as being asked to start earlier than the scheduled start time. You do not have too start early. I've refused too clock back in several times. When pushed, I invoked the union and said that when I was punched out I did not work for UPS and therefore could not be instructed. It is just like refusing or accepting extra work. They can offer it but they can't order you to do it.

TJC

Good points from both sides of it. I know if I ask my weak reps they will say the company is always right like they always do.

bigblu 2 you

when they ask here is what you do.tell them you have completed your shift{if so}and you would be glad to clock in and finish any work as directed at time and one half pay rate.only twice in my career have they needed my services enough to accept this offer.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
It depends on if you want the work. If you want the work, get back on the clock and take it. If not, simply tell them no thanks, I am off the clock and walk out the door. As some of the others have stated, you cannot be instructed to do work once off the clock, unless you were told not to clock out and did it anyway. Then you will be in big trouble.

M

MenInBrown

are yall retarded? maybe they should call you at 3 am to come work...why do you punch in if you are always to do as instructed???

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

There isnt enough information in this post to determine the circumstances involved.

peace.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I will have to find it, sorry for not having it on hand, but somewere in our contract there is something in the lines of when a driver has returned to building they cant forces him back out. My book is worn and falling apart so I have to google it and c if I can find it.

I know there are some well versed stewards on here that might know of this.

I have a hard time saying no. My mind gets ticked but my mouth says, yes sir. I make sure they have my extra time entered and mumble that it will mess up my #'s and I know u like only good #'s.

I'm not perm full time either so I guess get the hours while they r there to take cause summer's all but gone anyway.

gostillerz

If you're punched out, they can't force you to work. Someone else brought up "work as directed". That only applies when you are on the clock. That's what caharrell5 was eluding to.

My advice. If it's something quick like helping to bulk out a car or helping another guy with something heavy, just punch back in and help out. If it's going to make you late with another job/school tell them why. There are more important battles.