IF IM ALREADY A 22.4 CAN THEY PROMOTE A COVER DRIVER TO FULL TIME AND LET HIM PASS ME IN SENIORITY

Ronnie Joe

I'm a 22.4 at UPS and just recently they moved up 2 drivers from cover to 22.4, my union rep said that one of the drivers would be passing me in seniority when he moves up. I found it odd because he was supposedly already a 22.4 they even had him getting routes before me. Does anyone kno if this is legal or is my seniority being violated? Thanks in advance for feedback

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
I'm a 22.4 at UPS and just recently they moved up 2 drivers from cover to 22.4, my union rep said that one of the drivers would be passing me in seniority when he moves up. I found it odd because he was supposedly already a 22.4 they even had him getting routes before me. Does anyone kno if this is legal or is my seniority being violated? Thanks in advance for feedback
PT counts

542thruNthru

When you say union rep do you mean steward?

I would call your BA. The member that is moving ahead of you may be doing so because he won a grievance for being skipped over for the position and now his seniority is being adjusted.

Last edited:

Up In Smoke

In the Central, to move from 22.4 to RCPD, you would need a classification transfer. Did your rep explain how your seniority works in such matters?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Ronnie Joe up in this mutha:censored2:a

charm299

Does he have more company seniority? And was he in his 30;days before you started as a 22.4?

Ronnie Joe

When you say union rep do you mean steward?

I would call your BA. The member that is moving ahead of you may be doing so because he won a grievance for being skipped over for the position and now his seniority is being adjusted.
Yes I meant steward. Thanks for the feedback

preloader2driver

From my understanding yes because it’s based on building seniority. 22.4 is not a driving position. You’re supposed to do 4 hrs in the hub and 4 hrs driving meaning bailing guys out to cut down on the excessive OT at least that’s what the company was saying that’s how 22.4s we’re going to be used not like now that they’re pretty much full time driving positions.

JustDeliverIt

From my understanding yes because it’s based on building seniority. 22.4 is not a driving position. You’re supposed to do 4 hrs in the hub and 4 hrs driving meaning bailing guys out to cut down on the excessive OT at least that’s what the company was saying that’s how 22.4s we’re going to be used not like now that they’re pretty much full time driving positions.

It is based on building (PT) seniority when you initially go FT. If two people sign bid sheets and go at the same time, the one with more PT seniority will have the first FT seniority date (usually 1 day apart, at least that’s how they do it here). Then it is only your FT seniority date that matters, your PT years only count towards retirement and entitlements.

And 22.4’s are a driving position. They were meant to be a flex position to help staff the building or drive but the company has exploited it to just drive at a cheaper rate. You cannot become a RPCD without being a 22.4 first, at least here. And from what I’ve read here that seems to be the case everywhere.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
This is 100% false. 22.4 is a full time position so if OP had his seniority as a 22.4 before a part timer that made the jump even with more company seniority, then OP’s seniority would trump. We had 22.4’s bid into feeders that skipped seniority of a bunch of already established part time cover feeder drivers waiting on full time seniority. Pissed a lot of people off but that’s the game.

Like others have said, there’s gotta be more involved in this that OP isn’t privy to. If there is nothing else, then yes, his seniority is being violated.

Up In Smoke

This is 100% false. 22.4 is a full time position so if OP had his seniority as a 22.4 before a part timer that made the jump even with more company seniority, then OP’s seniority would trump. We had 22.4’s bid into feeders that skipped seniority of a bunch of already established part time cover feeder drivers waiting on full time seniority. Pissed a lot of people off but that’s the game.

Like others have said, there’s gotta be more involved in this that OP isn’t privy to. If there is nothing else, then yes, his seniority is being violated.
My understanding is you transfer into feeders. PT employees would not be allowed to transfer before any qualified full time employee.

Yeet

My understanding is you transfer into feeders. PT employees would not be allowed to transfer before any qualified full time employee.
The full time list went out first. Not enough interest from the full timers so the part time list went up. 10 months later, they put up another full time list and those guys skipped the part time guys that had been waiting on seniority for almost a year.

Up In Smoke

Sorry, but I'm trying to understand what happened. If there were openings to fill, why didn't they pull from the part time bid sheet when there was no interest from the full time ranks? Bid sheets are time stamped and should be exhausted prior to any further postings.

Yeet

Sorry, but I'm trying to understand what happened. If there were openings to fill, why didn't they pull from the part time bid sheet when there was no interest from the full time ranks? Bid sheets are time stamped and should be exhausted prior to any further postings.
They did. The position was for cover feeder drivers. A full time list went out first, barely anybody jumped. The part time list went out second, a lot of people jumped. About 50 made the cut. The part timers that made it were classified as part time cover drivers that had to win a feeder run to be considered full time. While they were waiting, another full time list was put out 10 months after the part timers qualified because there was still a need for more drivers. The full timers from that list were allowed to skip the part timers from the previous round.

I hope you get what I’m saying. It might be my poor explanation but I really don’t know how else I can word saying basically the same thing.