If You Had To Do It All Over Again....

A

Anon1

I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. I always liked my job at UPS (Admin)--didn't always like my supervisor. I would have never retired if not forced to for health reasons. I thank God everyday that I have a pension and health insurance. I know very few people outside of UPS that do. Financially, I did the right things. I started an IRA before UPS had their 401k. I bought stock with all my thrift plan monies. I converted to a Roth 401k when it became available. My brothers and sisters are all hard working people. It is comforting to know that if I do not beat this, that I will have contributed to their retirement.

island1fox

:sad-little:I spent 36 years at UPS. Overall a successful career Hourly and management ---rose through the ranks with hard work -People Skills ---Reached a very high level in the company ---but "politics" was never a strong suit with me. Looking back if I would have played the political angle better ----Management Committee or Board ?
But would I have been able to look into the mirror every day and like the person I see --as I can do now ?
Or could I have Impacted and stopped some of the negative road I now see the company traveling with "Partnership and treating People as a valuable and greatest Asset now being ignored in many areas. Also in the past EVERY thing was done to deliver every Christmas present ---BEFORE Christmas ----now that also has become part of the proud "Past"
With playing the political game --that I truly understand now ----not ego--but I truly believe I could have "contributed" to a better and stronger company.
"Knowledge that comes from long roads of experience is sometimes just wasted in retirement"

whiskey

Great job if your single. Lousy job if your married with children. Would tweak it towards more family time if I had another go at it.

BROWN430

I really loved it when it was just me being single. Now that I have a family it is extremely hard to plan anything outside of work. But if I had it to do all over again, yes I would. I have friends that have college degree and don't make nearly as much as I do. It has provided my wife and children with a very comfortable life. The co workers and friends I have made through my career at UPS I love. I just keep telling myself that when I retire I can spend all the time I want with my family and be very content.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
If You Had To Do It All Over Again.... NO WAY. When I was a part timer at UPS I applied for a job at Verizon to be a lineman, two weeks later Verizon accepts my application offers me a job, the same time Ups offered me a fulltime job as a driver, I had to choose between Verizon or Ups, I decided to stay with Ups based on the two years progression to full rate, Verizon was five years, what a mistake that was. I was young, dumb, and full of !@#.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
I would have used that college degree and gone to Justice. (US Dept Of Justice) I think being a Federal Marshall would have been a very interesting career. But there are worse things than UPS, although it's hard to think of them sometimes. But really, no serious regrets other than wishing I had started 5 years earlier.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
I would have stayed a preloader and never got involved with package car. I could have taken advantage of other opportunities and had the part time gig these 20+ years and worked another job also that would have been less aggravating. At least I did get rewarded all those years later when I became a feeder driver. So sometimes things do work out for the positive after hanging in there with the negative.

overallowed

I would have gone into feeders 10 years ago when I had a chance. There are 3 people back there that have less seniority than me. I have a bruise on my butt where I have been kicking myself ever since. The list hasn't gone up for over 5 years now, and I don't know if Ill ever have another chance.
Somebody earlier posted they would have left their first wife earlier. I wish I had never married my first one, and gone directly to my present one.
Life is a great teacher. I have 20/20 hindsight.

NHDRVR

No

Knowing what I know nowI would not do it again. As the pension age increases (it will) I have some decisions to make since I started so early. I was 19 on the local sort, driving at 21-22 and I feel like I'm 50 some days. 39 next week....

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I would do it all over again, believe it or not :happy2:.

I went to work for UPS at 19 the first time, 23 the second. I would not trade a minute of the time OR a single one of the experiences I had in 2 regions. I know a good organization when I see one and a lousy supervisor when I meet one because of the UPS I worked for the first time and the management I worked for both times. -Rocky

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I have questions as to letting my wife quit UPS after our second child was born.As it turns out I started in my early forties for the benefits and extra dollars to pay for the kids's college.
Still hadling packages @ 55 with no regrets, The 401K ,discount stock, and PT pension should help with the fishing expenses later in life.
All three of my children have worked for UPS at one time or another. The older two now have professional careers and the youngest is still employed and taking advantage of the earn and learn program while he attends college.
All in all a good place to work