If ?

Raw

Raw Member
If you got in 30 years next year as a driver before this contract is over would you retire before July 31 of 2018 or wait to see what the next contract offers if there is one or not?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I'm the wrong person to ask. I'm going to die with the steering wheel in my hand.
upload_2017-8-16_21-54-44.jpeg

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If you got in 30 years next year as a driver before this contract is over would you retire before July 31 of 2018 or wait to see what the next contract offers if there is one or not?
There might be a bump, usually is in my local.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Most everybody is waiting to see what the next contract will bring. Hang around. Package delivery is all most guys have in life. Missed their kids growing up, so nothing else to do.

35years

Gravy route
It used to be everyone close would wait because we would get sizable bumps. Not sure that is going to happen. However, after the new pension reform act was passed, pensions can be reduced AFTER you retire. What good is locking in a rate that could change?

If the management pension buy-outs are any indication, any contract proposal by management to phase out the pension will be laughable. But it would be in their long term best interest to offer an extremely generous buy out offer to those now working in exchange for phasing it out for the soon to be hired. So it might be a very smart move to hold on for the new contract offer.

PT Car Washer

Why not stick around and see if they sweeten the pot. I have 40 years PT in and thinking I just might stick around another year. Or not.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You can just wait to see what is being purposed and voted on before retiring. If the contract the members are voting to agree to consists of anti-pension language going forward, you might want to get the ball rolling on turning in yours.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'd say if your body is good for it, go a little longer.
At least you hold the cards, if at any point you decide to walk out... you can.

This is where I'm at, I can quit anytime I like. I don't think we will see any buyouts or pension improvements in the next contract. It will probably be another contract that sells out the retirees and screws over the new hires.