I'm in driving school and wondering what's the hardest about your first day on the road?

jkd3dawg

Life's Tough so Suck it up
I'm on my third day of driving school and so far it's a lot of information they're cramming us with. I feel like the first day is going to be very difficult and a lot of questions are going to arise that I don't have the answer for. I feel like picking up packages and using the correct type of paperwork is going to be the most difficult for me. Does anyone have good insight on what to expect on your first day of driving and the weeks to follow? What will be the most difficult part of it and if any tips or information that can help?

Travwise

I second that, you WILL want to quit. But if you stick with it it gets easier. As far paperwork blah blah that comes through time and repition. I can tell you they cover every possible scenario during training when in reality some situations you just will NOT encounter in the real world. Remember other drivers are your friend get phone numbers so you can call/text if you do have a question.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
:panicsmiley: Realizing that is 2pm ,you haven't had lunch yet, your truck is still jam packed with deliveries, and pick ups start in 30 minutes..........that about sums it up I think. :overreactsmiley::notalone::noobiesmiley:

Pooter

1st day usually your On road Sup drives.

Pay attention to the stop and where he parks during businesses. Don't zone out and chit chat about the weather. (Trust me, there will be time for that later)

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Some places have a new driver hire ride with a driver 1 day before they head off to class. I guess they do that to see if they are going to want to drive or not before they waste the time and money to put them through class. Since im a nice guy and have a little compassion for rookies, what I would do is bring a notebook pad and a pen and give it to the rookie to take notes all day as I tell him what to write down. Think of it as a crash course sorta speak. We all know that a driver teaching another driver is going to be more complete and thorough anyway. That way he had a lot of info going into the class and it probably wouldn't be as hard except for that gayazz 5 n 10 mumbo jumbo bullschiznittee that these nerdballs think is so stinking important which surprise is not lmfao.

10 point

Just retain what you learn.
If you are fortunate enough to have an on car supe that actually knows how to drive and use a diad completely you'll learn a lot of info you can apply.

Learn how to drive and park defensively. The rest will come. Don't freak out. You'll make it.

That may be the first day of the rest of your life....sentence.

Last edited:

nicksixx

I just completed my first day & I was three hours in & wanted to quit or DQ myself. I took a deep breath & got it done, I'm now ready for day 2. Don't give up & keep yourself calm.

Sent using BrownCafe App

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The hardest part of day one is not falling out of the jump seat.
Your first day alone is the issue. Now with EDD you at least know what to look for. Us old guys had a paper clipboard and a pile of packages. Thankfully if you were good you could be done at 2:30 and sit at Country Kitchen until it was time to come in.

nicksixx

With a sup, he kept pushing me to have a super fast pace. At the end of the day he was really cool & calm unlike he was on the route but I appreciate the push, he said he wants me to succeed as a driver. The drivers were really cool during PM they said the first day is crazy & a new level of work

Sent using BrownCafe App

jkd3dawg

About three hours into your first day, you're gonna want to quit.

Suck it up and get done.
Oh boy. That's a dose of brutal reality lol. A lot of people have the total wrong impression of ups drivers thinking it's a cake job and drivers are overpaid.

jkd3dawg

Some places have a new driver hire ride with a driver 1 day before they head off to class. I guess they do that to see if they are going to want to drive or not before they waste the time and money to put them through class. Since im a nice guy and have a little compassion for rookies, what I would do is bring a notebook pad and a pen and give it to the rookie to take notes all day as I tell him what to write down. Think of it as a crash course sorta speak. We all know that a driver teaching another driver is going to be more complete and thorough anyway. That way he had a lot of info going into the class and it probably wouldn't be as hard except for that gayazz 5 n 10 mumbo jumbo bullschiznittee that these nerdballs think is so stinking important which surprise is not lmfao.
I couldn't agree more with you brother. I'll be with another driver next week so I will definitely take a notepad and pen with me. thank you