I'm just wondering if the UPS bothers with rookies my age?

tenten

I'm starting phase 2 of my life with the challenge of finding a new career. I was in the media field but I have driven a commercial truck for 1 year and have a clean record in every way but...I'm 46 years old.

I would like to try to get a package delivery driver job. I'm physically able and could do the job well...I'm just wondering if UPS bothers hiring rookies my age?

tia,

mr

brownrodster

I would like to try to get a package delivery driver job. I'm physically able and could do the job well...I'm just wondering if UPS bothers hiring rookies my age?

mr

It is extremely difficult to get hired for a UPS driver job. UPS promotes from within. Almost all drivers come from the part time ranks where they worked many years before getting the opportunity.

However, there does exist 1 outside hire for every 6 inside hires. The outside hires don't happen very often (at least around here, I've only seen a couple in my entire career). It's not uncommon for part timers to wait 5+ years to become drivers!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Go for it dude. What do you have to lose. I started at UPS as a part time preloader in may 05. I was 43.

Last edited:

New Englander

It is extremely difficult to get hired for a UPS driver job. UPS promotes from within. Almost all drivers come from the part time ranks where they worked many years before getting the opportunity.

However, there does exist 1 outside hire for every 6 inside hires. The outside hires don't happen very often (at least around here, I've only seen a couple in my entire career). It's not uncommon for part timers to wait 5+ years to become drivers!

Most outside hires are seasonal drivers on their second go round or so.

I've never heard of one being a straight walk in of the street hire.

LKLND3380

I'm starting phase 2 of my life with the challenge of finding a new career. I was in the media field but I have driven a commercial truck for 1 year and have a clean record in every way but...I'm 46 years old.

tia,

mr

You could get hired on but it might be part time first and after five years you could be driving...

helenofcalifornia

Re: I'm just wondering if the UPS bothers with ro ies my age?

The bigger the center, the better your chances would be. Try and hook up with a big "hub" in your area. Talk to the drivers in your area about your chances. Like most of the previous posters have said, most drivers come from the part time UPS work force. Most of us have put in at least five years of part time work to get up in seniority to go driving. Not saying it couldn't happen for you, just saying it hasn't happened on a regular basis lately. How about Fedex? Good luck.

My building had 5 off the street hires in last 2 years...Nobody on the inside wanted to drive. In larger buildings it's rare...The 80's was a different animal. Today it's a 6/1 ratio.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Number 5 here

I was a PT sup for 3 years and before that I was a PT sorter for three. I had a good relationship with all the FT managers including the District Manager. I told him my desire to leave the management ranks and I wanted to move to another center so I can deliver to my hometown (the center manager there was gonna hire me)
The DM wanted to do this on his terms and said I can go drive but only in this center. He wanted myself to find someone to replace me as a PT sup. I ended up getting 2 of my 5 preloaders. So that was 8 years ago and one of my best moves.

Over all, the practice of hiring from off the street (no inside previous employment) pretty much came to a halt with the contract that started allowing PTCDs and became even more rare when the hire ratio increased. Yeah, it still happens, but is rare.

on a side note, when Texas first attained the intrastate rights, there were many off the street hires in Texas centers and hubs.

Hedley_Lamarr

tia,

mr
I'm 43 and am in the same situation. I worked as a manager in the trucking/transportation business since my early twenties, and after dealing with one bad situation after another I decided enough was enough. I applied last October to UPS for holiday help (casual driver.) I worked my ass off during the Christmas season. My on car sup took a liking to me because I had a positive can do attitude. I got laid off for about two weeks after New Years, then I got a call from my sup asking if I'd like to come on full time. I've been working as a fill in driver, and I've also been doing split car. I've never worked harder in my entire life. That being said, I've never had a job I actually enjoyed going to in the morning like I do this. It's kinda funny being the rookie at my age, in my center only a few casuals got hired after freeze. They call me the old white guy with glasses that just made book.

Hedley_Lamarr

In our center I was one of two guys that I know of that got hired off the street after freeze.

helenofcalifornia

Props to any of you that start this job at an "older" age. I can't even imagine trying to train this body to start doing this type of physical work at an older age. Maybe being a guy has something to do with it. Damn that testosterone!

iowa boy

Props to any of you that start this job at an "older" age. I can't even imagine trying to train this body to start doing this type of physical work at an older age. Maybe being a guy has something to do with it. Damn that testosterone!
Testosterone is good but it still doesn't take away the aches and pains that we have from working and it always ends up getting us into trouble in one way or another:devil3:

M

Mr. Food

Hey I was a street hire FT. driving few years ago I was 32 then. Go to ups.com employment click on driving possibilities in your state and fill out the application and walla!! Continue to live and answer the phone when they call and ask ......is this seasonal or full time??? The rest of the conversation is up to you!!