I'm trying so freaking hard.....

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm pretty close to seeing if I can't get on the preload and get back the benefits we once had. But I'm 50 and not sure I could handle my fulltime career and parttime UPS.
A buddy of mine passed away from ALS about 5 years ago, his two kids were still in HS and his widow got a job on the preload just to get health insurance for the three of them. He had to quit working which qualified him for a disability pension even though he didn't have the years for a regular service pension and she continued to collect her portion of that after he passed so I would definitely call the union hall and ask about that for yourself, you may not have to wait til he would have been 65. Wishing you the best and I'm very sorry for your loss.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Couple options.

Military. 2 of my grandchildren were in the Air Force. Now their college education is paid for. The positive is they are older and know what they want to do. Granddaughter is going to become a veternarian and grandson is going into law enforcement.

Community or State college for a couple years. Cheap and they can live at home and get part time jobs before declaring a major.

Trades. Construction trades are hurting for people. Many contractors around here are offering good apprentice wages of about 20-25 dollars and hour. Carpenters, plumbers, roofers etc. Most make $40-50 or more an hour after training. Union tradesmen can make more.

It seems like you need some professional help thru the Teamster/UPS minefield. Not sure who you can turn to with that. Maybe your husband's BA to start and UPS HR dept.

RLStan

A buddy of mine passed away from ALS about 5 years ago, his two kids were still in HS and his widow got a job on the preload just to get health insurance for the three of them. He had to quit working which qualified him for a disability pension even though he didn't have the years for a regular service pension and she continued to collect her portion of that after he passed so I would definitely call the union hall and ask about that for yourself, you may not have to wait til he would have been 65. Wishing you the best and I'm very sorry for your loss.
Thank you. I will inquire.