Immigration

floridays

Many overstayed their visas. Those people entered legally. Do some learnin.
And overstaying the visa made them illegal immigrants at that time. Initial documentation, the visa granted them legal status as an immigrant. Overstaying the visa (without renewing, or re- applying) made them illegal immigrants. @MAKAVELI

moreluck

golden ticket member
And overstaying the visa made them illegal immigrants at that time. Initial documentation, the visa granted them legal status as an immigrant. Overstaying the visa (without renewing, or re- applying) made them illegal immigrants. @MAKAVELI
I look at not checking in when your visa expires the same as not checking in with your PO when you are scheduled to on parole.

vantexan

As a general rule, it is not a crime for a removable alien to remain present in the United States. See INS v. Lopez-Mendoza, 468 U. S. 1032, 1038 (1984) .
Arizona v. United States, 567 U.S. ___ (2012)
Actually crossing the border illegally is a civil penalty, not a criminal one. The criminal part is when they use fake documents to obtain work, etc. Or commit criminal acts. But doesn't mean they have a right to be here.

floridays

Thx for basically repeating what I posted.:happy2:
No you basically didn't. You said some came in with visa's which is documentation. Dido said all undocumented immigrants didn't enter illegally. You added the overstay of visa which wasn't at issue. Got you smh= San Fransisco :censored2:, sell your smugness elsewhere.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Actually crossing the border illegally is a civil penalty, not a criminal one. The criminal part is when they use fake documents to obtain work, etc. Or commit criminal acts. But doesn't mean they have a right to be here.
Uh, I'm pretty sure crossing the border illegally is a federal misdemeanor, and a felony subsequent times. Of course they use fake documents lol, what else are they going to do? Our entire immigration policy is a joke. We need to regulate and tax it properly by fast-tracking the process and getting current residents documented properly.

vantexan

Uh, I'm pretty sure crossing the border illegally is a federal misdemeanor, and a felony subsequent times. Of course they use fake documents lol, what else are they going to do? Our entire immigration policy is a joke. We need to regulate and tax it properly.
No, look it up. It's considered a civil infraction. Not criminal.

MAKAVELI

No you basically didn't. You said some came in with visa's which is documentation. Dido said all undocumented immigrants didn't enter illegally. You added the overstay of visa which wasn't at issue. Got you smh= San Fransisco :censored2:, sell your smugness elsewhere.
I know you like to argue semantics but the term undocumented refers to all non us citizens residing in the US without authorization.

floridays

Uh, I'm pretty sure crossing the border illegally is a federal misdemeanor, and a felony subsequent times. Of course they use fake documents lol, what else are they going to do? Our entire immigration policy is a joke. We need to regulate and tax it properly by fast-tracking the process and getting current residents documented properly.
I like when you post, red x's are easier but I actually enjoy your thoughts. Thanks Dido.

floridays

I know you like to argue semantics but the term undocumented refers to all non us citizens residing in the US without authorization.
Understood. As I previously said, undocumented=illegal documented=legal I already said that.
but will add this an overstay on a documented legal visa = illegal status. You're correct, I do like to argue, semantics included.

newfie

if you cross the border to enter the country that is a crime.

if you overstay your visa and are here illegally that is a civil penalty.

Is being in the United States unlawfully a 'crime'?

"For instance, an undocumented immigrant who entered the United States improperly would have committed a crime. However, once that person is here, the simple act of being in the United States unlawfully is not by itself a crime."

vantexan

if you cross the border to enter the country that is a crime.

if you overstay your visa and are here illegally that is a civil penalty.

Is being in the United States unlawfully a 'crime'?

"For instance, an undocumented immigrant who entered the United States improperly would have committed a crime. However, once that person is here, the simple act of being in the United States unlawfully is not by itself a crime."
You're right, looked it up, got bad info. Crossing is a misdemeanor, continuing to stay is a civil infraction. Being deported and coming back ratchets it up to a felony.