In the history of useless things this is the most useless thing

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
E202F2A8-FAA3-42EA-ACAA-A3167E49B384.jpeg
AEAEDBB6-5A08-42C1-9C34-E040900E9E68.jpeg
...I am speaking of the little flap that covers the hitch receiver on the new Freightliners.
As far as I can tell, it serves utterly no purpose other than to
(A) Scrape the flesh off of the drivers knuckles as he tries to insert the hitch pin and connect the safety chains, and
(B) Block his view of the hitch pin so that he is forced to get down on both knees, tilt his head sideways, and fellate a flashlight in order to see the cotter pin hole and get it inserted.
To make matters worse, the damn thing is riveted to the hinges. Because if it were attached with screws I would have already removed it.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
View attachment 232573 View attachment 232574 ...I am speaking of the little flap that covers the hitch receiver on the new Freightliners.
As far as I can tell, it serves utterly no purpose other than to
(A) Scrape the flesh off of the drivers knuckles as he tries to insert the hitch pin and connect the safety chains, and
(B) Block his view of the hitch pin so that he is forced to get down on both knees, tilt his head sideways, and fellate a flashlight in order to see the cotter pin hole and get it inserted.
To make matters worse, the damn thing is riveted to the hinges. Because if it were attached with screws I would have already removed it.

Hammer, chisel, punch. Done.

soberups

Why would one be using it sometimes and other times not?

Here you either pull a trailer or you don’t.
The stinger goes over the top of the bumper and sticks out behind the car so you would only put it in the receiver when you are ready to tow. Otherwise you would be walking on it and punching holes into every dock you backed up to.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The stinger goes over the top of the bumper and sticks out behind the car so you would only put it in the receiver when you are ready to tow. Otherwise you would be walking on it and punching holes into every dock you backed up to.
God forbid you park a couple inches off the dock or don’t step in that 3 inch wide section.

Johney

Without seeing it in person and being far to lazy to look at one at my building,can't you just wedge a piece of wood between that flap and the top of the hitch hole wouldn't that keep it open all the time?

soberups

Without seeing it in person and being far to lazy to look at one at my building,can't you just wedge a piece of wood between that flap and the top of the hitch hole wouldn't that keep it open all the time?
Yes but there still is barely enough room to get your hands in there to put the hitch and cotter pins in. Plus the flap acts as a shade so after dark you cant even see in there without holding a flashlight in your mouth.