In the hot seat: UPS delivery drivers at risk of heat-related illnesses

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
In the hot seat: UPS delivery drivers at risk of heat-related illnesses - NBC News

Most of those familiar brown trucks used by UPS aren't air-conditioned, and as the delivery economy grows and temperatures rise, drivers can pay the price.

The day Jim Klenk's kidneys almost failed was hot and humid. After almost 15 years as a UPS driver, Klenk had developed a routine to deal with the heat. He carried frozen water bottles, wet towels for his neck, and spare shirts to replace those he'd sweat through.

After his 50th birthday, the summers had started to get to him. That August day in 2016 was forecast to hit 90 degrees. The cargo area of his brown delivery truck, which wasn't air-conditioned, could easily top 120.

A few days before, he'd worked through the heat until he started seeing stars, he said, then called his supervisor to pick him up. Not finishing a delivery route wasn't looked upon favorably, according to Klenk.

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
Drivers are subject to heat illness in the summer and frostbite in the winter. It's not rocket science but not everybody is able to handle the pressure a driver has to deal with.

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
fans should be in the cab by default just like they have in the South
The real question is how many of those fans actually work. When I was qualifying 6 of the 10 different PCs I was in didn't not work and where written up already. To much opening and closing for a AC to be effective imo

The real question is how many of those fans actually work. When I was qualifying 6 of the 10 different PCs I was in didn't not work and where written up already. To much opening and closing for a AC to be effective imo

They just need to figure out a way to recycle the air in back. Heat in the cab is not the problem, it’s when we’re digging for a got damn envelope for 9 minutes in a 150 degree oven that kills you. I’m in the Deep South (swampland) and was raised here so I’m used to it but they need to do something or somebody will die eventually.