In your opinion..

I've currently been offered a p/t supervisor position and was told I would pretty much be answering phone calls all "day".. Then the same person said another position was opening sooner that would be answering calls all "night" but it's still considered a supervisory position. I admit that I know NOTHING about UPS, Nothing about job titles and what they do on a daily basis, nothing about pay or benefits, I honestly don't even know how unions work.

My main question is, what positions do those 2 descriptions sound like? What would the job title be and what is the work like?

I also would like to know if you were coming in as an entry level p/t OR friend/t supervisor what is the best job to have for career advancement. Also, what is the least amount of money you would take for an entry level p/t OR friend/t supervisor?

Last question, I have the chance to be a driver helper in my current area (not where I was offered the job).. should I take the opportunity to be a temporary helper through the holiday season? Would it give me any benefit to have worked as a driver helper if I applied in another area? Would that be a good time to pick the driver's brain for information about UPS and general knowledge?

Thanks in advance guys :)

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The only phone my PT sup answers is his own....to listen to the center manager scream at him.
Go to the upsjobs.com website...and read up on the job descriptions of driver helper and PT supervisor.

The only phone my PT sup answers is his own....to listen to the center manager scream at him.
Go to the website...and read up on the job descriptions of driver helper and PT supervisor.

Would you run me through what a part time supervisor's day would be? I don't really understand how you would fill up an entire shift of just "watching" people sling boxes around and hoping they meet certain numbers?

Thanks for the link btw.. there are so many departments she didn't tell me which one the opening was for.. Is there a top 3 BEST departments to be in as a p/t supervisor?

according to some people on here it's great and according to others it's hell.. I just don't know how it can be either extremely good or extremely bad? I'm willing to take butt chewins and ear fulls from my superiors.. you'll always get that everywhere you go.. you can either take it and move up or look like a hardass to your co-workers for a couple weeks and then never see any financial improvement..

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
according to some people on here it's great and according to others it's hell.. I just don't know how it can be either extremely good or extremely bad? I'm willing to take butt chewins and ear fulls from my superiors.. you'll always get that everywhere you go.. you can either take it and move up or look like a hardass to your co-workers for a couple weeks and then never see any financial improvement..
Oms is part time sup answering phones. Nothing great about it.

Think customer service rep. Everyone you talk to will be mad.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
A big part of a center clerks job is sending out endless messages and ignoring driver's response.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

What you will be doing is completely dependent on what sort you are working or if you are even on a sort. It sounds like you are going for OMS. Which is a sup position. In my center it's a gravy job. You sit and answer the phone when it goes off (which is generally never.), process observations, call people who have requested their packages held for will call, and send messages to drivers. Depending on the size of the building you may or may not have people working for you.

The benefits are for sure better for union. If you go into management you have to pay for part of your health benefits. The only thing that is nice about PT Sup pay/benefits is you get a pay guarantee. If you work the full 27 and 1/2 hours or 22, it is the same.

If you go into management though make sure you have a thick skin.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Only the ladies in the center office place and take calls from the angry customers. I think its one of the better supervisor jobs.
Watching people sling boxes is pure hell. You are responsible for their unobtainable production numbers.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I've currently been offered a p/t supervisor position and was told I would pretty much be answering phone calls all "day".. Then the same person said another position was opening sooner that would be answering calls all "night" but it's still considered a supervisory position. I admit that I know NOTHING about UPS, Nothing about job titles and what they do on a daily basis, nothing about pay or benefits, I honestly don't even know how unions work.

My main question is, what positions do those 2 descriptions sound like? What would the job title be and what is the work like?

I also would like to know if you were coming in as an entry level p/t OR friend/t supervisor what is the best job to have for career advancement. Also, what is the least amount of money you would take for an entry level p/t OR friend/t supervisor?

Last question, I have the chance to be a driver helper in my current area (not where I was offered the job).. should I take the opportunity to be a temporary helper through the holiday season? Would it give me any benefit to have worked as a driver helper if I applied in another area? Would that be a good time to pick the driver's brain for information about UPS and general knowledge?

Thanks in advance guys :)
Don't go into management. It is the worst position at UPS.

Oms is part time sup answering phones. Nothing great about it.

Think customer service rep. Everyone you talk to will be mad.

Fortunately I'm a natural mediator and have always been that way since I was young and I like making people feel better and I have really good people skills and I've worked in past customer service jobs.. this might be an awesome gig for me! lol

It sounds like you are going for OMS. Which is a sup position. In my center it's a gravy job. You sit and answer the phone when it goes off (which is generally never.), process observations, call people who have requested their packages held for will call, and send messages to drivers. Depending on the size of the building you may or may not have people working for you.

Thank you for the information that's exactly what I was looking for! If it gives you any insight my county has around 30,000 people total so I'm sure it's small in comparison to most.

Only the ladies in the center office place and take calls from the angry customers. I think its one of the better supervisor jobs.
Watching people sling boxes is pure hell. You are responsible for their unobtainable production numbers.

if it's a laid back job then I could care less! I'll save more energy for the gym after work! haha

Don't go into management. It is the worst position at UPS.

It seems like the majority of people here don't like any management roles. Maybe things will be different for me :/ Not many jobs in my area hire with anything less than a 2 year degree other than fast food of course..

How many supervisory roles per department are there? and what shifts do supervisors work? Is there a chance I could be working overnights in OMS?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

If it gives you any insight my county has around 30,000 people total so I'm sure it's small in comparison to most.
It sounds like you are in a small center then.
How many supervisory roles per department are there? and what shifts do supervisors work? Is there a chance I could be working overnights in OMS?
What do you mean by department?

At my center, which is only 30 routes there are 5 PT Sups.
Dispatch Sup, who is responsible for the dispatch plan
Preload Sup, Who is responsible for the preload operation.
Two OMS, who are responsible for contacting customers, assigning on demand pickups with drivers, and dealing with misloads. It's mostly just standard office work.
Local Sort Supervisor, responsible for the local sort, making sure trucks get washed, address corrections are done, timecards, and building is set up and ready to go for preload.

The only sups in my building with people working for them is Preload and Local. Preload is for sure the hardest sup job, with OMS being the easiest. The amount of sups will vary big time based on volume and how many sorts you have.

It sounds like you are in a small center then.

What do you mean by department?

At my center, which is only 30 routes there are 5 PT Sups.
Dispatch Sup, who is responsible for the dispatch plan
Preload Sup, Who is responsible for the preload operation.
Two OMS, who are responsible for contacting customers, assigning on demand pickups with drivers, and dealing with misloads. It's mostly just standard office work.
Local Sort Supervisor, responsible for the local sort, making sure trucks get washed, address corrections are done, timecards, and building is set up and ready to go for preload.

The only sups in my building with people working for them is Preload and Local. Preload is for sure the hardest sup job, with OMS being the easiest. The amount of sups will vary big time based on volume and how many sorts you have.

Ok thank you, VERY insightful. This type of info is what I'm after, just the general knowledge stuff. I didn't know what "departments" there were I just keep seeing some people say different things like small package, fleet, and random other stuff. I just don't know the terms or what the titles mean really.

CHALLY9TX

Our Oms also deal with ordering uniforms, DFUs, printing call tags, calling helpers during peak. It seems easy but I bet the ladies in our center would tell you different. They earn their pay for sure. It's not a hard job but it definitely isn't easy. They fix a lot of the sups and drivers screw ups.

Bottom rung

Our oms's do all the standard stuff. Answering phones, ordering uniforms, mouth off to drivers, try to pm dispatch eight hours that were approved. Then re dispatch to get all the outbound in before trailers pull. Couldn't pay me enough to fix the dispatch/preload supes never ending mistakes then take heat from both sides when something doesn't work out. And if you're any good at it. There's no chance to move up. Your center manager won't allow it because then the dm would see how messed up the rest are.