Inbound "pull key" procedure

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Cool. Best of luck. As always, lot's of cavalier attitudes about safety on BC. Oddly. Generally, understood. Generally, it won't be you that is killed, mostly. When it does happen(happened before)(that's why you have the procedure), you won't want to be ANY part of it. It's NOT a problem until there is a fatality ie Fed Ex protester. Again, just because there is a virus, doesn't mean(for some reason) it's less dangerous. Believe it or not, I say this with all due respect.

Would you hand them your spare set of keys as well? Pretty much every sleeper driver I've ridden with hands the guards the spare set and leaves the ignition key in so the AC fan stays on.

Also, most security guards at UPS facilities are black. Won't Trump recind your membership to the Republican party for caring about them?:ninja3:

over9five

Staff member
Would you hand them your spare set of keys as well? Pretty much every sleeper driver I've ridden with hands the guards the spare set and leaves the ignition key in so the AC fan stays on.
Happened here a couple years back. Driver hands the guard his spare key, calls dispatch. Hangs up, starts his truck, and drives off while the guard is unsealing his lead. Luckily, the guard jumps out of the way.
IMHO, the driver should have lost his job.

PT Car Washer

Also, most security guards at UPS facilities are black. Won't Trump recind your membership to the Republican party for caring about them?:ninja3:
We had a security guard killed his first day on the job. Caught between the two trailers when the Feeder driver took off. After that Feeders shuts off the engine and the guard take the keys. I don't remember ever having a black security guard at my building. Must be a regional thing.

Johney

Seriously? I'm the first to say that feeder drivers are premadonna's, but that takes it to a new level. Seriously can't sit there for what 2 minutes with the air off?

quad decade guy

Seriously? I'm the first to say that feeder drivers are premadonna's, but that takes it to a new level. Seriously can't sit there for what 2 minutes with the air off?

Fair enough. It's about waking up a sleeping co-driver. We need sleep. You can only get it in that TRUCK. Lot's of things wake you up, the truck turning off SURE does! We need all the help we can get. Please don't just dismiss this out of hand.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

I think it's more for self preservation. Most drivers do everything possible to let the person in berth get sleep. By not shutting of the AC it makes it more likely the person in back stays asleep. Getting sleep hopefully keeps them alert because some days you drive 730+ miles in 11.5 hours.

If you've never tried to sleep in a berth, it can be very difficult. On smooth roads it's not bad but when you have rough roads and mix in a TA where you uncouple, fuel and couple all while changing your sleeping pattern throughout the week it can be tough.

Quad decade posted at the same time as me and he is not being overly dramatic about it. Feeders is dangerous but sleepers is much more dangerous, IMO.

quad decade guy

We had a security guard killed his first day on the job. Caught between the two trailers when the Feeder driver took off. After that Feeders shuts off the engine and the guard take the keys. I don't remember ever having a black security guard at my building. Must be a regional thing.

What does pull key have to do with race and politics? Ok. I'll play. NOTHING. Now, yes, pull key procedures were implemented because of the above reasons. A death will happen again because they have been forgotten. It will happen. We have "mixed" crews of guards, all black and all white. Chicks and all. From 18 to ancient. Even had a feeder driver marry one....

The mix of procedures tells a future of injury/death. Lot's on BC and throughout the company routinely dismiss and flout ANY of these procedures....until a fatality. I promise, you don't want ANYTHING to do with it.

quad decade guy

I think it's more for self preservation. Most drivers do everything possible to let the person in berth get sleep. By not shutting of the AC it makes it more likely the person in back stays asleep. Getting sleep hopefully keeps them alert because some days you drive 730+ miles in 11.5 hours.

If you've never tried to sleep in a berth, it can be very difficult. On smooth roads it's not bad but when you have rough roads and mix in a TA where you uncouple, fuel and couple all while changing your sleeping pattern throughout the week it can be tough.

Quad decade posted at the same time as me and he is not being overly dramatic about it. Feeders is dangerous but sleepers is much more dangerous, IMO.

Thanks Bro.

Johney

Ok that makes sense I get it, hell I have a hard enough time sleeping in a quiet house during the day so I could only imagine trying in a sleeper. Don’t know how you do it. I wouldn’t want it or do it for double the hourly rate or mileage rate.