Inbound "pull key" procedure

quad decade guy

So, given the Fed Ex protester set death, every hub that I visit doesn't pull keys to cut seals on trailers. You have folks walking all around, in between trailers. What happens when it's raining, dark and you can't keep up with who's where? The Fed Ex fatality is exactly what will happen at UPS(under ideal conditions not even emergency). The tragic thing about these kinds of accidents is that they are 100% preventable. While it may seem amusing to many(I personally think the protester got what he deserved), you don't want to be any part of it. Virus or not( I understand sleeper differences)(that case you get out and watch) making sure the feeder cannot move until all clear is the ONLY way to insure safety. And that's really what it's all about. Remember, procedures like this were implemented because of fatalities. It's going to happen.

9.5er

I frequently go to two larger hubs. One of them cuts seals on the door. The other has a guard cut seals but he walks around to drivers door to get keys 1st. So it should not be an issue. If a person is in front, between, or under a trailer they should be on guard and ready to get the heck out of the way.

quad decade guy

I frequently go to two larger hubs. One of them cuts seals on the door. The other has a guard cut seals but he walks around to drivers door to get keys 1st. So it should not be an issue. If a person is in front, between, or under a trailer they should be on guard and ready to get the heck out of the way.

Really? With all respect: This is so wrong in so many respects. You just illustrated why there should be a standard, no deviation policy. How do you know who is where and when? And it's up to a guard to "get the heck out of the way"? Stupidly dangerous.

9.5er

Really? With all respect: This is so wrong in so many respects. You just illustrated why there should be a standard, no deviation policy. How do you know who is where and when? And it's up to a guard to "get the heck out of the way"? Stupidly dangerous.
Did you read the part where they have the keys? And the “get out of the way” part was more of a stay on their guard to be prepared to move if need be. (Pun intended) You know we are told to expect the unexpected.

quad decade guy

Did you read the part where they have the keys? And the “get out of the way” part was more of a stay on their guard to be prepared to move if need be. (Pun intended) You know we are told to expect the unexpected.

Ok at one hub. But I go to MANY hubs and that ain't happening. There should NEVER be a reason for someone to "be prepared to move". This deadly serious. Yeah, pun intended too.

9.5er

Ok at one hub. But I go to MANY hubs and that ain't happening. There should NEVER be a reason for someone to "be prepared to move". This deadly serious. Yeah, pun intended too.
Apparently we don’t go to the same hubs. I told you “my” experience at the couple I visit. My experience must not be up to par for you or something, I’m not sure. But I’ve wasted too much of my time with this already so I’m moving on.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
They stopped taking keys after the covid thing took off. I’ll pop my brakes and kill the engine and I won’t turn it on until he gives me a thumbs up. If I don’t see him give me a signal I will physically walk back there and check before I pull off. I don’t really see the problem.

quad decade guy

They stopped taking keys after the covid thing took off. I’ll pop my brakes and kill the engine and I won’t turn it on until he gives me a thumbs up. If I don’t see him give me a signal I will physically walk back there and check before I pull off. I don’t really see the problem.

Cool. Best of luck. As always, lot's of cavalier attitudes about safety on BC. Oddly. Generally, understood. Generally, it won't be you that is killed, mostly. When it does happen(happened before)(that's why you have the procedure), you won't want to be ANY part of it. It's NOT a problem until there is a fatality ie Fed Ex protester. Again, just because there is a virus, doesn't mean(for some reason) it's less dangerous. Believe it or not, I say this with all due respect.

quad decade guy

Apparently we don’t go to the same hubs. I told you “my” experience at the couple I visit. My experience must not be up to par for you or something, I’m not sure. But I’ve wasted too much of my time with this already so I’m moving on.

Ok. I told you about my experiences. This isn't a contest. It will be a "waste" of life when someone is killed. I think you are moving on because in the end, it's really hard to justify stupidly dangerous practices. As I've said, this is nationwide(as I go nationwide).

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Cool. Best of luck. As always, lot's of cavalier attitudes about safety on BC. Oddly. Generally, understood. Generally, it won't be you that is killed, mostly. When it does happen(happened before)(that's why you have the procedure), you won't want to be ANY part of it. It's NOT a problem until there is a fatality ie Fed Ex protester. Again, just because there is a virus, doesn't mean(for some reason) it's less dangerous. Believe it or not, I say this with all due respect.
The FedEx thing doesn’t really apply here. He didn’t run a guard over at the gate, he ran a maroon over trying to rob him.

I also don’t get how I’m being “cavalier about safety.” I wait until I see the guy walk away from the trailer before I pull off and if I don’t see him I get out and look.
Edit: Are we really editing out m oron??

quad decade guy

The FedEx thing doesn’t really apply here. He didn’t run a guard over at the gate, he ran a maroon over trying to rob him.

I also don’t get how I’m being “cavalier about safety.” I wait until I see the guy walk away from the trailer before I pull off and if I don’t see him I get out and look.
Edit: Are we really editing out m oron??

Yes, they are editing. Didn't say you were. How do you know there is only one? I encounter "teams of guards". I've seen them cut a seal before the truck can be shut off. No bs. Can feel the trailer shake with the cutting, having never talked with anyone. The FED EX thing is to emphasize someone standing in between a set, unknown to the driver. See? Different scenario with identical results.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I'm in no hurry. If i wait 5 minutes for the guard to come out of the shack i can wait 5 minutes for them to cut a seal

specter208

Why are the security guards doing seal cuttings? On preload here, the feeder drops and leaves, then a SUP cuts the seal after shifter parks the trailer.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Why are the security guards doing seal cuttings? On preload here, the feeder drops and leaves, then a SUP cuts the seal after shifter parks the trailer.
Larger hubs cut seals, take paperwork, all info is logged including trailer and tractor numbers at the inbound gates onto the property. They are usually staffed by some outside security company.

Indecisi0n

This is why I always pull off slowly. I pull of doors slowly in case someone is opening the door and I pull off slowly after my seal gets cut. I pull off so slow that I'd you were between my set you would have time to get out of the way. It's just something I've always done. I see guys rip trailers off doors like they get a priZe who can do it the fastest.

quad decade guy

This is why I always pull off slowly. I pull of doors slowly in case someone is opening the door and I pull off slowly after my seal gets cut. I pull off so slow that I'd you were between my set you would have time to get out of the way. It's just something I've always done. I see guys rip trailers off doors like they get a priZe who can do it the fastest.

Great ideas. However, ALL the guesswork is eliminated if EVERYONE knows where everyone is at the same time. No slow driving wondering and say that guard slips and falls on his face while you slowly drag him along. SEE?