Increase Teamster Membership

meritocracy

I'm fine with the 9 month wait, tbh.
Decrease that, and we'll start getting more pregnant chicks looking for UPS to pay birthing costs.

I think strengthening and making the tuition reimbursement program more nationally available, that would start bringing in better people.

We can't create good new drivers when we are picking from a bunch of burnouts with no work ethic.

Respectfully disagree. If the company wants to offer tuition reimbursement they can offer it. We don't represent workers that need a college degree to do their job. I've seen a lot of people at my hub take the job for the tuition reimbursement only to stick around until they graduate college and that's it. Those kinds of people have no interest in union membership or making a career out of UPS. As for the health insurance, I think offering it and sick days on day one will help reduce the insane turnover we're experiencing right now. That's also good for the IBT because it means more dues revenue in right to work states and more active union members across the country.

freehoodies

Respectfully disagree. If the company wants to offer tuition reimbursement they can offer it. We don't represent workers that need a college degree to do their job. I've seen a lot of people at my hub take the job for the tuition reimbursement only to stick around until they graduate college and that's it. Those kinds of people have no interest in union membership or making a career out of UPS. As for the health insurance, I think offering it and sick days on day one will help reduce the insane turnover we're experiencing right now. That's also good for the IBT because it means more dues revenue in right to work states and more active union members across the country.
There needs to be a “welcoming committee” kind of team for the union. Separate from the steward, they usually have enough on their plate.

Most of the new guys/girls around here just get thrown to the wolves with no guidance after their packet and they just say :censored2: this. Im pretty used to it from all my other jobs so I just took it in stride but thats not the norm.

We have new guys just quit out of the blue sometimes and it just blows my mind. Like, they never used any sick days? Wtf you are on the verge of quitting and you never thought to just call in sick for a mental health day?

Or just take an hour long dump on the clock and catch up on netflix? If someones ready to quit its just crazy how they still act scared of getting fired

badpal

What time are your local meetings? I use 8 hour requeststo make mine.

Every local is different as long as stewards but saying the teamsters are not trying to organize is BS.
In our area they might be a meeting one a year or so. I do believe in my 40 plus years as a Teamster i have attended one meeting. Pretty much swore i would never attend one again.

PT Car Washer

In our area they might be a meeting one a year or so. I do believe in my 40 plus years as a Teamster i have attended one meeting. Pretty much swore i would never attend one again.
The Local Union leadership would just hope that not too many members be involved so they don't ask a lot questions and rock the boat.

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
well unionizing fedex is difficult. see there are 2 separate sets of labor laws in america, the NLRA and the railway labor act. there's alot of little differences but the gist is that the NLRA is friendly to labor and the RLA is friendly to management. for instance unions in the RLA aren't locals, it's just one big national union. and striking is illegal without the permission of the feds. fedex plays by the RLA. UPS plays by the NLRA. that's the major reason why fedex isn't unionized. it also represents a potential threat, in that if UPS were to buy fedex, the most valuable thing they'd be buying is the option to call themselves fedex and thus get rid of the union and the NLRB.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
well unionizing fedex is difficult. see there are 2 separate sets of labor laws in america, the NLRA and the railway labor act. there's alot of little differences but the gist is that the NLRA is friendly to labor and the RLA is friendly to management. for instance unions in the RLA aren't locals, it's just one big national union. and striking is illegal without the permission of the feds. fedex plays by the RLA. UPS plays by the NLRA. that's the major reason why fedex isn't unionized. it also represents a potential threat, in that if UPS were to buy fedex, the most valuable thing they'd be buying is the option to call themselves fedex and thus get rid of the union and the NLRB.
I also heard that fed ex is more airline than UPS and that affects unionizing

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
I also heard that fed ex is more airline than UPS and that affects unionizing
it's baloney, but yea that's what it is exactly. the aviation industry fell under the RLA because it was "analogous to the railroads." and so ages ago fed ex said "we're an airline, not a trucking company", and the feds let them get away with it. but it's baloney to begin with because the airlines aren't analogous to the railroads. the reason that the feds made the RLA so restrictive was because a local in charge of a single railyard could snarl up whole system by just shutting down all lanes into them effectively holding the whole countries transport economy hostage. but that's just not logistically possible with an airport. unlike a train a plane can just re route on their own and fly to an alternate airfield if one shuts down.

Kekkats