Indiana-Is a great place to be a bigot....

BrownArmy

“The law reestablished a balancing test for courts to apply in religious liberty cases (a standard had been used by the Supreme Court for decades).
Religious Freedom Restoration Act allows a person’s free exercise of religion to be ‘substantially burdened’ by a law only if the law furthers a ‘compelling governmental interest’ in the least restrictive means of furthering that compelling governmental interest.’”

Indiana is not alone in enacting protective legislation. Thirty-one states already have heightened protection for the exercise of religion.
Eighteen of those states have laws based in the 1993 RFRA, and the protections in an additional 13 states came through court rulings.

University of Virginia law professor Douglas Laycock explained, “There were cases about Amish buggies, hunting moose for native Alaskan funeral rituals, an attempt to take a church building by eminent domain, landmark laws that prohibited churches from modifying their buildings – all sorts of diverse conflicts between religious practice and pervasive regulation.”

http://www.wnd.com/2015/03/indiana-law-has-homosexuals-foaming-at-the-mouth/?cat_orig=politics

OK, ctrl-c ctrl-v,

Explain this law to me in your own words.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm confused--what happened to a private businesses right to refuse service to anyone. Back when just about every business had a sign like that hanging up the sign never specifically said anything about race, religion, sexual preferance or anything. It just said they had the right to not serve you if they so desired. If I own my own business why can't I decide if I don't want to serve you because maybe your obnoxious, drunk, load mouth, a know-it- all or any one of a hundred different reasons. Just like UPS has the right to run their business into the ground making bad decisions so should the little bar on the corner or the hardware store.

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't know about that.

So *Patel or *Singh can refuse to sell me a slurpee because I'm not a Hindu/Zoastrian?

Why not---in that case go someplace they will sell you a slurpee because the one who won't sell to you won't be around for long and even if they are you can do better than support them. Let Patel and his other brother Patel rot in their own little world.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Protection of religion from the over reach of the gov't .
How does this law protect religion? Give me one example that doesn't involve cake, flowers, or photographs.
If baking a cake violates your religious beliefs, you have bigger problems than can be addressed with legislation.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
It is the protection of religion from the over reaching laws from the government .

If cake , flowers and photographs are part of your religious activities and some form of government ( town , city , county , state or federal ) passes laws against your practices then you will have protection .
As the 1993 federal law was designed to .

BrownArmy

Why not---in that case go someplace they will sell you a slurpee because the one who won't sell to you won't be around for long and even if they are you can do better than support them. Let Patel and his other brother Patel rot in their own little world.

Is that what this law is about?

I'm not sure that's correct.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
It is the protection of religion from the over reaching laws from the government .

If cake , flowers and photographs are part of your religious activities and some form of government ( town , city , county , state or federal ) passes laws against your practices then you will have protection .
As the 1993 federal law was designed to .
So no examples that don't involve a wedding....
So this whole law, and all the controversy surrounding it, is really all about protecting people who rip off newlyweds. FML, can we just ban weddings all together and call it a freaking day.

BrownArmy

On a side note, your making a very good case as to why this law is a bad idea!

BrownArmy

If I own my own business why can't I decide if I don't want to serve you because maybe your obnoxious, drunk, load mouth, a know-it- all ...

You could.

But you can't not-serve me simply because I'm irish/black/muslim/protestant/gay/catholic/morman/scientologist/zoroastrian, etc.

There's a limit somewhere, and I'm not sure this law even approaches that limit.

------

No one yet has satisfactorily explained to me why this law is necessary.

I'm dense, I admit.

Why is this law necessary?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
So no examples that don't involve a wedding....
So this whole law, and all the controversy surrounding it, is really all about protecting people who rip off newlyweds. FML, can we just ban weddings all together and call it a freaking day.

“Government shall not substantially burden a person’s exercise of religion even if the burden results from a rule of general applicability.”
Groups that support this law's passing ;
ACLU ,Christian Legal Society, the American Jewish Congress, the Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty, and the National Association of Evangelicals .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_Freedom_Restoration_Act

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
“Government shall not substantially burden a person’s exercise of religion even if the burden results from a rule of general applicability.”
Groups that support this law's passing ;
ACLU ,Christian Legal Society, the American Jewish Congress, the Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty, and the National Association of Evangelicals .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_Freedom_Restoration_Act
And I'll ask you AGAIN. How does baking a cake for a gay couple to eat after their wedding "substantially burden a person's exercise of religion".

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Just read an article where a bunch of tech companies are pulling out of a conference in Indianapolis. I get the feeling that Pence really didn't realize how far the rest of the country has moved on the issue of gay rights. 10 years ago he and his boys would have been able to push this through with very little opposition. Different story now.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Aren't you the least bit concerned that every issue is turned into a "gay" issue ?

Why are you allowing gays to have more rights than average citizens ?

BrownArmy

Just read an article where a bunch of tech companies are pulling out of a conference in Indianapolis. I get the feeling that Pence really didn't realize how far the rest of the country has moved on the issue of gay rights. 10 years ago he and his boys would have been able to push this through with very little opposition. Different story now.

New CEO of Apple (who happens to be gay) wrote an op-ed saying that this law wasn't cool...

Indiana Chamber of Commerce said, 'not cool'.

Other big $$ Indiana investors are basically saying, 'not cool'.

Can anyone who is in favor of this legislation explain to me what it's purpose is, and why it's a good idea?

I apologize, I'm daft.

It's just that no one has explained to me in plain language the purpose of this bill, why it's necessary, and why it's a good idea.

On the $$ front, it seems like a loser proposition.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
New CEO of Apple (who happens to be gay) wrote an op-ed saying that this law wasn't cool...

Indiana Chamber of Commerce said, 'not cool'.

Other big $$ Indiana investors are basically saying, 'not cool'.

Can anyone who is in favor of this legislation explain to me what it's purpose is, and why it's a good idea?

I apologize, I'm daft.

It's just that no one has explained to me in plain language the purpose of this bill, why it's necessary, and why it's a good idea.

On the $$ front, it seems like a loser proposition.
Pence was considering running for president, maybe he thought this would give him some street cred with the base? Who knows.

BrownArmy

Aren't you the least bit concerned that every issue is turned into a "gay" issue ?

Why are you allowing gays to have more rights than average citizens ?

It seems to me the proponents of this law are the only ones turning this into a 'gay' issue.

By the way, no one is advocating that gay citizens should have more rights than 'average' citizens.

Rather, gay citizens should have the exact same rights as every other citizen.

(No one has been able to tell me why this law is correct/necessary...anyone?)

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I don't know about that.

So *Patel or *Singh can refuse to sell me a slurpee because I'm not a Hindu/Zoastrian?

Wow. And I'm the racist sob on the board.....are you implying that all Indians come to this country and open a 7-11 or other convenience store?

Sterotypes are VERY offensive to me.