Indiana license plates

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't understand why menotyou found this so funny. It is cheaper to dock a boat in RI than it is in MA.

I doubt the Kerrys are really concerned about how much it cost to dock a boat. I don't think the Heinz money (reported at a cool Billion dollars) will dry up anytime soon.

texan

Guess not, got fresh Heinz catsup, pickels, and relish in my fridge.
Not a political thing, just taste good.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've heard they register in Indiana for the logo plate, the registration for the tractor shows the GVW the tractor is registered in for different states. Not sure what that's all about. There's a way the spread the fuel tax out also, it used to be every state you went into with a tractor you had to buy a fuel tax stamp, now it's "apportioned" to each state you operate in. The feeder trailers are also registered in different states. Some have logo plates from IN, some have Tennessee registration, some Oklahoma, Maine is also a big trailer registration state. I think it mainly because the registration is permanent. A lot of our CPU trailers are registered locally and the registration is only good for 3 years if IRC. It's probably a logistical nightmare just to keep track of the tractor registrations let alone trailers that are on the east coast one week and on a train going to California the next.

It use to be that just about all OTR trailers were registered in Utah.
I remember talking to someone in Automotive about this and it was something like $10 to register a trailer back then.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'll have to look at the set of doubles that is parked across 8 stalls in the driver parking lot tomorrow and see where it's registered. No problem, I'll park on the grass.

JonFrum

I doubt the Kerrys are really concerned about how much it cost to dock a boat. I don't think the Heinz money (reported at a cool Billion dollars) will dry up anytime soon.
Click on this link to see the boat, and learn a bit about my Liberal Democratic Senator. A true man of the people. Friend of the little guy.

Sen. John Kerry docks new boat in Rhode Island, saving taxes | masslive.com

"BOSTON — Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry is docking his family's new $7 million yacht in neighboring Rhode Island, allowing him to avoid paying roughly $500,000 in taxes to the cash-strapped Bay State.

If the "Isabel" were kept at the 2008 Democratic presidential nominee's summer vacation home on Nantucket, or in Boston Harbor near his city residence, he would be liable for $437,500 in one-time sales tax. He would also have to pay $70,000 in annual excise taxes. Rhode Island repealed those taxes in 1993. That has made the state something of a nautical tax haven. . .

The 76-foot sloop has two cabins, a pilot house fitted with a wet bar and cold wine storage . . ."

moreluck

golden ticket member
Click on this link to see the boat, and learn a bit about my Liberal Democratic Senator. A true man of the people. Friend of the little guy.

Sen. John Kerry docks new boat in Rhode Island, saving taxes | masslive.com

"BOSTON — Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry is docking his family's new $7 million yacht in neighboring Rhode Island, allowing him to avoid paying roughly $500,000 in taxes to the cash-strapped Bay State.

If the "Isabel" were kept at the 2008 Democratic presidential nominee's summer vacation home on Nantucket, or in Boston Harbor near his city residence, he would be liable for $437,500 in one-time sales tax. He would also have to pay $70,000 in annual excise taxes. Rhode Island repealed those taxes in 1993. That has made the state something of a nautical tax haven. . .

The 76-foot sloop has two cabins, a pilot house fitted with a wet bar and cold wine storage . . ."

It looks old to me !!!