Inflation

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Moreluck,
If they were caught doing this, this person's benefits should immediately be terminated and the person giving the cash for groceries should be fined, HEAVILY.
The problem is no one is watching. And those of us that do just have to eat it, as the office is so busy handing out more, they don't monitor it as they should. And people should learn to cook, and use the stamps wisely. Not for fast foods, to fill them up.

john346

No more Brown!
Another Band-Aid or fix the foundation?
We, our country, system, is so broken that we tend to put the quick temporary fix on it again & again. Stop over taxing corporations for employing Americans, that's why they take the factories away.
Stop giving other countries money when we have to borrow it to give. Implace a working welfare system, where the only places you can use your stamps / cards are stores that have a workable system of checks that eventually make it incerasingly difficult to merely get a hand-out without some form of work. Even if it means mopping & waxing the floors at the same facility.
Make prison a crappy place to go again. Close our borders to importing. Make pollsters & PAC's (political action commities), illegal, let's see a politician say what they think for a change instead of following what the polls feel they need to be strong on, or worry about pissing off the PAC that has 25k in voting members. Do away with the archaic political parties, we have a news web that can reach world-wide in merely minutes. There exists no need for anyone to know nothing about a candidate, but if they are a Democrat, then that's the one for me, mentality is way out of date.
Let's face it, at least for me every four years we rarely get to choose who's best for the job, I generally try to vote for who I feel will screw things up the least during their term, Democrat or Republician. We need to return to a strong America, for the sake of America.
Oh yea, one more thing, let's take the hog tie's off of our troops. We have the ability to have the strongest, toughest military in the world, yet we won't let them do the job they have been trained to do. Make it a scary thing to anger us enough to open the kennel doors & unleash these bad dogs. Maybe, just maybe, we could make someone else the joke that we have become.

ImpactedTSG

We, our country, system, is so broken that we tend to put the quick temporary fix on it again & again. Stop over taxing corporations for employing Americans, that's why they take the factories away.
Stop giving other countries money when we have to borrow it to give. Implace a working welfare system, where the only places you can use your stamps / cards are stores that have a workable system of checks that eventually make it incerasingly difficult to merely get a hand-out without some form of work. Even if it means mopping & waxing the floors at the same facility.
Make prison a crappy place to go again. Close our borders to importing. Make pollsters & PAC's (political action commities), illegal, let's see a politician say what they think for a change instead of following what the polls feel they need to be strong on, or worry about pissing off the PAC that has 25k in voting members. Do away with the archaic political parties, we have a news web that can reach world-wide in merely minutes. There exists no need for anyone to know nothing about a candidate, but if they are a Democrat, then that's the one for me, mentality is way out of date.
Let's face it, at least for me every four years we rarely get to choose who's best for the job, I generally try to vote for who I feel will screw things up the least during their term, Democrat or Republician. We need to return to a strong America, for the sake of America.
Oh yea, one more thing, let's take the hog tie's off of our troops. We have the ability to have the strongest, toughest military in the world, yet we won't let them do the job they have been trained to do. Make it a scary thing to anger us enough to open the kennel doors & unleash these bad dogs. Maybe, just maybe, we could make someone else the joke that we have become.
100% agree with everything in that post.

mrvngrdns

Good thoughtful post, and I agree with most of what you have to say. Especially, the mind-set that goes into political voting, what I believe is that although there are differences in the two parties, they inherently are the same, they both want to get reelected, and prefer to make things better temporarily in order to get the votes, rather than suffer some temporary pain to make things better.

What I disagree with is closing our borders to trade. We simply live in a different (global) world now, and to refuse to participate, I'm convinced, would ultimately result in our demise. Refusing to trade with other countries would reduce our nation to "second class" status. We're already in debt up to our necks, the dollar would no longer be the worlds reserve currency, and hyper-inflation would result. Then, we no longer could fund our military, and we know how that would end up.

As for our military, I agree, we should support our troops, but fighting terrorists, who blend in with a largely supporting population, is more like a police action, than a military one. And it's tough, and nobody, including the US, has come up with a good answer.

browniehound

The problem is no one is watching. And those of us that do just have to eat it, as the office is so busy handing out more, they don't monitor it as they should. And people should learn to cook, and use the stamps wisely. Not for fast foods, to fill them up.

I agree Tonner. I can get by on about 50-70 bucks a week in groceries (for myself). If I really needed to, I could get it close to 50 every week. I have oatmeal for breakfast, I can 2 for $4 and the 20 packets will last 4 weeks. I have tuna sandwich for lunch at 99 cents a can with an apple and yo-crunch yogart. Then I spend the rest on dinners for the week. Usually pasta and some meats to go with it. I get chips and pretzels for snacks also.

I'm sorry I just discussed my entire grocery list with the forum:yawn2:, but I was actually trying to make a point. The point being with a little planning you can eat on short money, with the thought that people on food stamps eating filet mignon making me sick.

Average at Best

Let's face it, at least for me every four years we rarely get to choose who's best for the job, I generally try to vote for who I feel will screw things up the least during their term, Democrat or Republician.

This is sad, but true. Every election that I have voted in has been this type of rhetoric - I'll vote for the lesser of two evils because no one has stood up and inspired me to do differently.

The election system is broken. You have two parties that are polarized in one direction or the other. Conservative or liberal. Pro-life or pro-choice. Handouts for the lazy destitute or handouts for billion dollar corporations. Unfortunately, the majority of Americans don't fall in such extreme catagories. I know I don't.

The other problem I have is how the politicians and the media (ALL media, not just Fox News or CNN) treat me like a drooling maroon. The media gets hung up on insignificant points and blows them out of proportion. The politicians mince words but never tell me EXACTLY WHAT THEY PLAN TO DO. They give general feel-good crap - are you going to pull us out of Iraq? How are you going to do it without further destabilitizing the region? Are you going to keep us in Iraq? If so, how are you going to measure progress and what is your timetable? What about health care? If you are going to give universal health care, how is it going to be funded? Etc. etc.

I want real answers, and I'd like to think that my fellow Americans do too. The sad fact is, however, that I know far too many people who can tell you absolutely nothing about the current state of affairs in our country aside from what is going on with Britney Spears and the latest updates on Brad Pitts baby.

BURMDPsupe

I've seen that one too many times around here..pathetic

Years ago, a scene like that would have made my blood boil. I too would ask the question "what am I doing wrong?" But I just look at the quality of life that these folks have, both present and future. I know that working hard and saving for my retirement will reward me latter in life; and not a day goes by that I don't thank my father for teaching me the value of the dollar.

To me, there are 2 types of people in our society: savers and spenders. Savers learn how to budget their income and live a "comfortable" life--they do not live beyond their means. Savers do spend money on luxury items, usually as some sort of reward after careful planning. Savers live for tomorrow.

Spenders are the type of people that have never learned the fine art of budgeting. These are the people that live paycheck to paycheck; impulse buyers that have racked up their credit cards because they "need" the latest laptop, mp3 player, cell phone, etc. Spenders tend to live with a lot of stress--always worried about finances, bill collectors, etc. Spenders live for today.

Now before I get slammed, I used to be a spender when I was in my early twenties. I had to learn by my mistakes. These two types, savers and spenders, are ingrained into every socio-economic class in our society...so I'm not pointing any fingers towards any groups of people. Saving and spending money is a skill that you need to develop throughout your life.

M-

mountaingoat

What will happen in the future?

What do you think will happen with those of us who have saved for years and years and done without become the new "rich" later in life. And then the spenders will be the vast majority in this country and the largest voting block which the politicians use to obtain an elected office in the "let's punish the rich" paradigm. Do you think that those of us who have done without will be punished by crippling taxes and those who have spent will be rewarded by getting more and more of a share from the savers?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Those of us who work hard and strive for better are always the target of higher taxes to take care of those who are flippant about money. It stinks! The better you do, the more you are punished.

Obama says he wants to raise the cap. gains tax........so any time I want to sell some stock (for living expenses) I will be taxed to the point where I will have to sell more to pay the taxes. It's a vicious cycle.

:sad-little:

Average at Best

These two types, savers and spenders, are ingrained into every socio-economic class in our society...so I'm not pointing any fingers towards any groups of people. Saving and spending money is a skill that you need to develop throughout your life.

I think that the saver method should be taught in high school. Honestly, when I went to high school I learned vector calculus and the pythagorean theorem. Do you know how many times I used those in the real world? You can guess. They should teach how to balance a checkbook, how to set up a monthly budget, how interest is calculated on credit cards (i.e. the REAL cost of credit card debt), etc. That would be useful. Consider, you set an 18 year old loose on the world with no practical financial knowledge, they are only being set up for ruin (or years of debt).