Injured on the job, need advice

Scuderia

I'm a part time hub person, and I injured my lower back sorting for the small sort. Yeah, it even happens where the sissies work. I don't know how badly I'm injured, or what exactly is injured, but I have trouble doing anything that doesn't involve laying down. It's not extremely painful, but it is a nagging constant pain. UPS is willing to send me to the doctor, but they say that if the doctor puts me on light duty, I'll be taking safety test on a computer for no more than 3.5 hours a day (17.5 hours a week). Usually I get 25-26 hours a week. How can they, basically, ask me to take a pay cut because of a work injury? Doesn't seem fair. I'm not trying to get a big "settlement" or anything. I just want to get well, and get paid what I would normally earn.

Any advice will be appreciated.

JonFrum

I hope you filled out an Injury Report.

Now read Contract Article 14 on Workers Compensation, and visit your State's Workers Compensation website to learn as much as you can.

If your injury persists, be careful of "Light Duty." It's a great way to make your injury worse and slow the healing.

dillweed

Sorry to hear you got hurt. It can happen to any of us at any time.

It sounds as if they are offering you TAW at 3.5 hours per day which is all they have to do besides pay your doctor bills. Safety stuff on the computer, boring as it is, will at least keep you within your light duty requirements.

The safety stuff seems a method of torture and it would be more satisfying to do something productive while staying inside those limits but they just might not have anything else.

I'd sit on the darned computer and wait for the bod to heal.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Do the taw and be aware that yes even light duty, especially sitting, can make it worse. Find a great chiropractor! Way better for back injuries than the company dr. Where I am, most of the crew goes to a chiro for maintenance. Insurance pays for most of it if you are covered yet. Good luck !

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
In my local, they have to offer us our 52 week average on TAW or light duty work. Have had guys sitting in the office for 10-11 hours a day collecting their light duty pay. Ask your steward or BA. UPS management doesn't advertise our rights, you have to ask for it!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In my local, they have to offer us our 52 week average on TAW or light duty work. Have had guys sitting in the office for 10-11 hours a day collecting their light duty pay. Ask your steward or BA. UPS management doesn't advertise our rights, you have to ask for it!

Are you sure you're not in the UAW?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I'm a part time hub person, and I injured my lower back sorting for the small sort. Yeah, it even happens where the sissies work. I don't know how badly I'm injured, or what exactly is injured, but I have trouble doing anything that doesn't involve laying down. It's not extremely painful, but it is a nagging constant pain. UPS is willing to send me to the doctor, but they say that if the doctor puts me on light duty, I'll be taking safety test on a computer for no more than 3.5 hours a day (17.5 hours a week). Usually I get 25-26 hours a week. How can they, basically, ask me to take a pay cut because of a work injury? Doesn't seem fair. I'm not trying to get a big "settlement" or anything. I just want to get well, and get paid what I would normally earn.

It doesnt matter where you work, as UPS says " no one plans on being hurt ", yet they do seem to blame people, as if it was their intentions on getting hurt. Go to the doctor, get their opinion and ask if you can get disability. Then file for comp in first actions of knowing you can get some aid. Try to get everything you can out of it. Dont take a buy out. Try to get back to work asap.

packageguy

Take my advice, go out on comp, get better, then take light duty.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
In Kansas if you are injured on the job and refuse the TAW you could, (& most likely will) be denied work comp benefits. Report every injury no matter how slight immediately and take what ever light duty they offer as long as it is within your restrictions. Sounds like you probably have a slight muscle strain, some Ibuprofen and a muscle relaxant should help and that will be prescribed by the Co. doctor.

Be careful of over use of a chiropractor as the excessive manipulation can loosen the muscles and ligaments surrounding the spine and can lead to herniated disks.

menotyou

bella amicizia

File the injury report and do your TAW. You are a part-time employee. Your entitled to 3.5 hours and no more. You are starting to expect this extra money. That is your problem. You are in gravyland. Enjoy it. Don't expect it.

menotyou

bella amicizia
In Kansas if you are injured on the job and refuse the TAW you could, (& most likely will) be denied work comp benefits. Report every injury no matter how slight immediately and take what ever light duty they offer as long as it is within your restrictions. Sounds like you probably have a slight muscle strain, some Ibuprofen and a muscle relaxant should help and that will be prescribed by the Co. doctor.

Be careful of over use of a chiropractor as the excessive manipulation can loosen the muscles and ligaments surrounding the spine and can lead to herniated disks.

Please listen to this advice. Too many people believe the chiropractor is God. They are not. Had I gone to one, I would probably be paralyzed.