Injury question.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Has anyone reject the workmans comp settlement? They gave me a number to settle that I laughed at and I don’t agree with the % my doctor assigned to my mmi. But I rejected the offer and was curious do they counter or what? I rather have my medical benefits than that measly number.. also I know I know get a lawyer.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Has anyone reject the workmans comp settlement? They gave me a number to settle that I laughed at and I don’t agree with the % my doctor assigned to my mmi. But I rejected the offer and was curious do they counter or what? I rather have my medical benefits than that measly number.. also I know I know get a lawyer.
Sounds like your issue is with your doctor and not Liberty Mutual. Are they offering Permanent Partial Disability based on your doctors percentage or did they counter with a low ball? I have had Liberty Mutual offer more than my doctors percentage.
In Wisconsin we can appeal the percentage or seek another opinion. Taking a PPD payout does not end medical liability. Our claims are open for 12-1/2 years after last payment.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Sounds like your issue is with your doctor and not Liberty Mutual. Are they offering Permanent Partial Disability based on your doctors percentage or did they counter with a low ball? I have had Liberty Mutual offer more than my doctors percentage.
In Wisconsin we can appeal the percentage or seek another opinion. Taking a PPD payout does not end medical liability. Our claims are open for 12-1/2 years after last payment.
The doctor gave me a % for mmi.. lm sent me a dollar amount for settlement but I was under the impression that if I accept it they are not required to cover injury if it happens again or if I have issues down the road.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
The doctor gave me a % for mmi.. lm sent me a dollar amount for settlement but I was under the impression that if I accept it they are not required to cover injury if it happens again or if I have issues down the road.
State laws on workers compensation are all different. In Wisconsin you would still be covered for medical care for 12-1/2 years for the injury regardless if you your compensated for permanency or not.
Your union BA or their law firm should be able to inform you of the law in your state.

Definitely get a lawyer.
Workman's comp ain't going to offer you nothing, a lawyer will get you a lot more

Johney

Not necessarily. MMI disability rating is not a cash out settlement. I've received several MMI rating payments and still continued to go back to work and have my injury covered. To me it was free money. They are paying you for your disability. I wish I could remember the formula used to calculate it. One injury I received a 12% MMI/disability rating and got $20,000. Since retiring I did settle all my work comp cases and took a lump sum as well as a good chunk of change for any issues down the road.

Last edited:

Johney

Definitely get a lawyer.
Workman's comp ain't going to offer you nothing, a lawyer will get you a lot more
True to a point. Yes a lawyer will make sure you're not taken advantage of, but if and when you do settle you will owe them a %. I had my comp lawyer do the paperwork on my final settlement upon my retirement and he took 10% which to me was worth it so as I know I wasn't screwed over.

Johney

Just remember there is a difference between settling your case(they will ask you to resign) and getting a disability rating/mmi settlement.

True to a point. Yes a lawyer will make sure you're not taken advantage of, but if and when you do settle you will owe them a %. I had my comp lawyer do the paperwork on my final settlement upon my retirement and he took 10% which to me was worth it so as I know I wasn't screwed over.
The insurance company is going to give you any extra money unless you have someone to twist their arm

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Not necessarily. MMI disability rating is not a cash out settlement. I've received several MMI rating payments and still continued to go back to work and have my injury covered. To me it was free money. They are paying you for your disability. I wish I could remember the formula used to calculate it. One injury I received a 12% MMI/disability rating and got $20,000. Since retiring I did settle all my work comp cases and took a lump sum as well as a good chunk of change for any issues down the road.
So if you reject it what happens? They counter or they said that’s fine? Lol I still don’t see them just giving money to give it idk. I get the disability part but I just don’t trust them

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Go talk to a lawyer if there’s any money to be made they’ll take it on contingency

Thebrownblob

In almost every instance the work comp lawyer gets you more money anyway.
UPS has a cavalry of lawyers and companies working for them you would be foolish not to do the same.

Johney

So if you reject it what happens? They counter or they said that’s fine? Lol I still don’t see them just giving money to give it idk. I get the disability part but I just don’t trust them
If you reject it I suppose they just won't pay you. They will not counter it's based on what the Dr. rates your injury. MMI ratings are generally based on state regulated settings. In other words a Dr. is confined to rate your disability according to what the state allows. It's not really free money you are now a certain % disabled due to your injury. They will pay you for that disability. Again let me confirm that this is how they do it in my state of Florida, but I suspect MMI is likely the same everywhere.

Johney

In almost every instance the work comp lawyer gets you more money anyway.
UPS has a cavalry of lawyers and companies working for them you would be foolish not to do the same.
Yes in a settlement case, this does not sound like that to me. Sounds like a MMI rating payout.

Thebrownblob

Yes in a settlement case, this does not sound like that to me. Sounds like a MMI rating payout.
Every state has very complicated workman comp laws unless you understand them which most of us don’t always hire an attorney. Setting yourself up for failure because the company knows the rules and we don’t.