Insubordination!!!!!

New Englander

Don't let your desire to rebut everything I say cause you to give bad advice to someone. There is no first or second offense when you blatantly refuse to follow a sups instructions. Your on very thin ice as many here from different walks of ups have also told the man.

Do you read Tie? I said to work as instructed. This isn't the military, we can talk back if we choose and we can question management as well.

I'm not following you - I tend to read them all, I post when the topic interests me enough or when someone is posting partial truths.

Lol.....thanks for the negative feedback though! How did you know I was trying to get it as high has possible? Man - that really hurt!

New Englander

I would be interested in what part of the policy book or contract you found the language above?

d

Human nature, this isn't the military. Open door policy, no?

I can honestly say that I have spoken back about stuff I have not agreed with and I'm still an employee of UPS.

Just the other day I was assigned 2 NDA stops in my EDD, completely out of my area. In an area I don't even go through. 3 other drivers do drive through said area.
I was instructed by the dispatch supervisor to deliver them when I questioned it. I didn't buy it. Then spoke with my on road supervisor who completely agreed that the dispatch supervisor had made an error. They were given to the correct driver for delivery.

Now if I had been like most of you here, afraid to speak up I would have added 30 minutes to my AM and made my own air commits questionable, let alone getting a lunch in and making commercials by 1700.

Now if you follow Tie's reasoning and he was the dispatch supervisor I would have been fired on the spot. No?

There are times when you absolutely need to speak up. If it fails you work as directed and don't worry about the problems that incur. You can always say "I told you so."

We are told daily that UPS wants us doing what is right out there. Yet some seem to scared to voice what they think is right.

atatbl

I would be interested in what part of the policy book or contract you found the language above?

d

I think he meant as a person of free will. Of course, that does mean a person of free will that will never have a career, but nonetheless.

If he actually did mean that as in "I have the right to question my boss and will have a leg to stand on when he/she fires me," well....... then I question how someone with that mental capacity remembers to breathe.

The only exception would be if it was unsafe. But again, that wouldn't be questioning that would be using common sense and saying "no, I'm not hurting myself for you," and would guarantee the boss seeing negative repercussions instead of the employee.

New Englander

I think he meant as a person of free will. Of course, that does mean a person of free will that will never have a career, but nonetheless.

If he actually did mean that as in "I have the right to question my boss and will have a leg to stand on when he/she fires me," well....... then I question how someone with that mental capacity remembers to breathe.

The only exception would be if it was unsafe. But again, that wouldn't be questioning that would be using common sense and saying "no, I'm not hurting myself for you," and would guarantee the boss seeing negative repercussions instead of the employee.

Are you that afraid?

atatbl

Human nature, this isn't the military. Open door policy, no?

I can honestly say that I have spoken back about stuff I have not agreed with and I'm still an employee of UPS.

Just the other day I was assigned 2 NDA stops in my EDD, completely out of my area. In an area I don't even go through. 3 other drivers do drive through said area.
I was instructed by the dispatch supervisor to deliver them when I questioned it. I didn't buy it. Then spoke with my on road supervisor who completely agreed that the dispatch supervisor had made an error. They were given to the correct driver for delivery.

Now if I had been like most of you here, afraid to speak up I would have added 30 minutes to my AM and made my own air commits questionable, let alone getting a lunch in and making commercials by 1700.

Now if you follow Tie's reasoning and he was the dispatch supervisor I would have been fired on the spot. No?

There are times when you absolutely need to speak up. If it fails you work as directed and don't worry about the problems that incur. You can always say "I told you so."

We are told daily that UPS wants us doing what is right out there. Yet some seem to scared to voice what they think is right.

LOL! You didn't "shove it to the man." All you did was MAYBE (and I doubt you have the cojones) tell a dispatch sup "no". Again, you didn't really do this, but we can pretend. Then you went further up the chain of command to someone that knew what the consequences of you delivering those letters would really be. That person then told the dispatch sup no with his/her actions.

Understand, what you said earlier and the situation you describe are two entirely different things. Mainly, a dispatch sup is a sup, but not your boss.

Here's a real world example that happened to me to show you what I mean. When I was a PT preload sup there was a day when two drivers were verbally going at it. It was pretty clear things might very well get physical.

As I walked up to the "scene" one of them said something that infuriated the other driver. I don't know what it was or what it meant, but it involved the name of a female. I don't know who he was talking about and I don't care. The driver that made that remark was facing me and the (now extremely pissed) driver was between us with his back to me. He threw his diad behind him. It hit my thigh. If these weren't two grown men about to attack each other, I would have laughed because it was like a movie scene. Unfortunately, this was real and in the work place. When the driver took one step towards the driver that had said something mean, he must have saw his face. The driver facing me had his jaw dropped and was just staring at me (I think he was thinking "oh friend**, Mark just hit a sup with a diad, this is not how I wanted this to end)

The driver that threw it turned around to face me. I could see all of his built up machismo leave his body immediately. I just said "you're fired" and he said "I didn't know you were there." I said verbatim "I understand that and I whole-heartedly believe it, now lets go talk to Tom," (center mgr).

I guess it was lucky for the on roads that this was early enough that there were still driver's there that hadn't gone home. One of the extras must have taken Mark's route because neither of the on roads had to go driving that day.

When the center manager, me, Mark, and steward (from another center, same building) went into the office I had no idea what to expect. This was work place violence. Everyone knew it. Well, the center manager gave his spiel. It was pretty clear this was not the center manager's or the steward's first time doing this. It was like pre-rehearsed clockwork on both their parts. No arguing, just the normal responses on both ends. The center manager and I left the office so they could talk after the center manager was done.

I can only paraphrase what he said because I don't remember everything that he said to me. Basically, he said that he had to fire him now because he hit an employee with a thrown item. He then explained that me telling him he was fired was not "official" because I was not in (and certainly not above) his chain of command. All that mattered, was that I got hit. I could have been a porter, OMS, or preloader and it wouldn't have changed anything. My being a sup did not play into this situation at all.

After asking him specifics for future reference, he basically told me that all firings have to come from mgnt level. Not FT or PT sups. The only way you can "fire" someone from those positions is to create a paper trail on an employee so long that if forces the mngr's hand. One of the best lessons I ever learned at UPS.

*The obvious exceptions are workplace violence, insubordination, theft, and sometimes harassment (depending on witnesses)* But even with these, at the end of the day, all that matters is that a mgr or higher got involved and actually signed the sheets.

To this day, I am still glad he threw that diad. I have to believe that two people getting physically aggressive on a boxline would lead to both of them being injured much more severely than a normal fight. That driver lost some money in the deal. But had he not hit me with that, at least one of those driver's would have been pretty hurt and one would have certainly lost his career for good. There would have been no coming back.

Last edited:

New Englander

Yeah.....I didn't say no. Freaken please.

I've received a warning letter for "failure to work as instructed" for not taking lunches. I told the DM and center manager to there faces that I was not taking my lunch if they were going to let drivers take their lunches at the end of the day back in the building. To me thats the same as me running all day and then going home. It's just to appease their numbers on a report.

So....point is that I challenged both the DM and center manager to fix a problem prior to me complying. I received a warning letter, that is now being contested via the union. As other drivers not taking lunches did not get one as well. I'm sure the letter will get removed from my file and management will be forced to correctly enforce the contract on this matter.

Now...I'm not an ass about it but I am going to stand up for what is right.

So tell me....why am I still here?

atatbl

Yeah.....I didn't say no. Freaken please.

I've received a warning letter for "failure to work as instructed" for not taking lunches. I told the DM and center manager to there faces that I was not taking my lunch if they were going to let drivers take their lunches at the end of the day back in the building. To me thats the same as me running all day and then going home. It's just to appease their numbers on a report.

So....point is that I challenged both the DM and center manager to fix a problem prior to me complying. I received a warning letter, that is now being contested via the union. As other drivers not taking lunches did not get one as well. I'm sure the letter will get removed from my file and management will be forced to correctly enforce the contract on this matter.

Now...I'm not an ass about it but I am going to stand up for what is right.

So tell me....why am I still here?

Short answer, because you are not an ass about it. Also, if they really wanted you gone that would be about the most poorly chosen way to go about it possible. Simply for this reason "As other drivers not taking lunches did not get one as well." If that is the case, they are not doing it to get rid of you. I am not sure what the details of the "problem" you say exists. But if this is their course of action, they do not currently have a solution.

New Englander

Short answer, because you are not an ass about it. Also, if they really wanted you gone that would be about the most poorly chosen way to go about possible. Simply for this reason "As other drivers not taking lunches did not get one as well." If that is the case, they are not doing it to get rid of you. I am not sure what the details of the "problem" you say exists. But if this is their course of action, they do not currently have a solution.

My point is that you can speak back and challenge a managers decision. This isn't the military. It in itself is not going to get you fired. I understand you as managers like to hold the "your going to get fired" trump card but let's be real.

I have not once said there is a right or wrong way of doing it. Obviously there is.

The problem all boiled down from Cali - if you enter no lunch in your diad. No lunch is deducted anymore. I don't agree that they can enforce the contractual lunch on us if they don't enforce the time it is written to be taken as well.

Obviously there is State Laws that govern lunch breaks that trump our contract but all things aside - most states do not require an hour as we get.

atatbl

My point is that you can speak back and challenge a managers decision. This isn't the military. It in itself is not going to get you fired. I understand you as managers like to hold the "your going to get fired" trump card but let's be real.

I have not once said there is a right or wrong way of doing it. Obviously there is.

The problem all boiled down from Cali - if you enter no lunch in your diad. No lunch is deducted anymore. I don't agree that they can enforce the contractual lunch on us if they don't enforce the time it is written to be taken as well.

Obviously there is State Laws that govern lunch breaks that trump our contract but all things aside - most states do not require an hour as we get.

What did the union tell you to do? Take your lunch until they can prove their case and get the warning removed? Or do you get a leisure most driver's would kill to have the option of?

New Englander

What did the union tell you to do? Take your lunch until they can prove their case and get the warning removed? Or do you get a leisure most driver's would kill to have the option of?

I still do as I please most times. On routes I "can" get my lunch in I take it. On routes that I'm over dispatched or the dispatch supervisor has screwed up like an add/cut to the PM section that has commercials in it. I take what I can. Usually 10 minutes in combination to my paid breaks.

The Union agrees on my point of view. As I said, I have the letter on file. Yet I still choose to do what is right over what I've been told to do. I obviously can't blow a route up and get in at 1630 with no lunch taken anymore but......

atatbl

I still do as I please most times. On routes I "can" get my lunch in I take it. On routes that I'm over dispatched or the dispatch supervisor has screwed up like an add/cut to the PM section that has commercials in it. I take what I can. Usually 10 minutes in combination to my paid breaks.

The Union agrees on my point of view. As I said, I have the letter on file. Yet I still choose to do what is right over what I've been told to do. I obviously can't blow a route up and get in at 1630 with no lunch taken anymore but......

Are other's following suit? I guess I just don't understand how you are able to do (to at least some degree) what a lot of drivers would prefer to do, without more immediate action being taken. Are you being quiet about it? Or telling all the drivers in your center that you think they should do the same? Before everyone gets up-in-arms, I know not ALL drivers want to go through the day with no lunch. But a lot of them would love that 40 extra minutes with their family or doing something else if it meant eating granola bars while walking/running rather that stopping at a buffet to eat.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
My point is that you can speak back and challenge a managers decision

You say one thing, then post another. First you say you question, now challenge.

There is a big difference.

If you question the sup (as in the case of the NDA) that is one thing. you are getting clarification on a decision that they made that is not in the best interests of UPS or yourself.

Now when you challenge (your balls are getting in the way of your better judgement) you leave yourself wide open to disiplinary action.

As for your lunch, when the hammer comes down on you, dont come crying to us for support. And the union has no right to "agree" with your point of view, so I doubt that statement can be true.

The company has every obligation to structure your day to where you have the time to take your lunch. And the union is a tool to accomplish that. They do not have the right to agree with your view, and if you are terminated for 1, not following instructions, 2, falsifying records about it, then where will you be.

d

New Englander

You say one thing, then post another. First you say you question, now challenge.

There is a big difference.

If you question the sup (as in the case of the NDA) that is one thing. you are getting clarification on a decision that they made that is not in the best interests of UPS or yourself.

Now when you challenge (your balls are getting in the way of your better judgement) you leave yourself wide open to disiplinary action.

As for your lunch, when the hammer comes down on you, dont come crying to us for support. And the union has no right to "agree" with your point of view, so I doubt that statement can be true.

The company has every obligation to structure your day to where you have the time to take your lunch. And the union is a tool to accomplish that. They do not have the right to agree with your view, and if you are terminated for 1, not following instructions, 2, falsifying records about it, then where will you be.

d

Where are you coming from? I questioned the air, challenged the lunch. Are you still following me? Did that clear that up?

My local Union reps have every right agree with my view. You can not arbitrarily enforce the contract on one employee and not others. You also can not enforce under threat of reprimand or termination just one part of an article while completely disregarding other parts directly related to it.

If they did not agree with my view there would be nothing to file, still following?

Where on earth am I falsifying records?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Well then lets see the paper that you claim has the union agreeing with your point of view instead of the contract. You know, the one you claim is your get out of jail free card for not taking lunch, in spite of management telling you that you must.

All we have from you so far is your claims of superiority to every one else around you.

You can file on anything you want. Really stupid stuff even.

But that that mean your filing has any merit? Just because you filled out some paperwork, does not mean anything. Its winning that matters. So lets see where you won with your point of view, and the company is agreeing with your point of view.

Otherwise, you fall into the catagory of someone that blows a lot of hot air, and gives very bad advice, advice that easily could get someone that actually follows you in a lot of trouble.

I still do as I please most times
That says volumes about your whole post. You do as you please instead of what you were instructed to do. And everyone else around you that works as instructed is a bunch of whipped dogs licking the heels of the master.

So either you are full of bull (lets see the papers) and just running your mouth (thinking your postings make you the tough guy) or you are less than the ones you claim are spineless around you.

Follow me on this yet? :)

d

New Englander

Blah blah blah blah......

Honestly dude. It's the internet. I really don't care if you believe me or not. I will still get up every morning and go into UPS, finish my day and come home.

I have been instructed to take my full lunch via a warning letter. Yet we still routinely have drivers NOT taking their full lunches and not recording a full lunch in their boards. With no reprimand or letter. Still happening today.

Why wouldn't the local BA agree with me? Duh...I was the vocal leader of a group of us at our center on this lunch issue. I was singled out and the only one to get the letter. Even the center manager told myself and the steward (when I questioned the letter) that other drivers would be getting it as well. In 2 months no one else did. I was told by the center manager that they were sick of hearing about it last time I questioned that.

So here we are today. Drivers still not taking their lunch or recording the full lunch on any given day. No warnings given to them - yet I'm still being forced to comply.

Either it's a case of extreme laziness or a case of unfair treatment to me. The answer will come as soon as the process is finished.

So yeah....it's a pretty well thought out story to be making it up on the fly, no?

You do realize every time some on files for a manager working it's a direct challenge to them. Most of the time you go up to a supervisor and ask to get paid for them working they say no. So you challenge them and file.

Well, geez, it's a challenge to management anytime you file a grievance. But it still isn't the same as standing flat footed and refusing to work as directed.
I challenge management decisions also, but I don't refuse to do as I am told. When doing as I'm told creates a problem, I am first in line to say, " I told ya so, when are you gonna start listenin?"

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Honestly dude. It's the internet. I really don't care if you believe me or not. I will still get up every morning and go into UPS, finish my day and come home.

OMG!! I have to tell you and I mean no disrespect nor am I trying to interrupt the family fued, but the above made me laugh. Here's why...

I remember way back in basic training we had this soldier that (pretended) to try to commit suicide as to get out (pressure was too much) and everyday the Drill SGT made that soldier carry his bunk from the 3rd floor to the 1st floor and set it up outside the CO's office, they then proceeded to wake the soldier up every hour to make sure that he wasn't dead.

Anyway, the part that made me laugh was that after that the Drill SGT told us... "Listen PVT's, you can try to commit suicide as much as ya want, you can even go out to the water tower and jump off... here is the one thing I promise you PVT's, the rest of us are still going to wake up, march past ya, and do PT"

Anyway....had to laugh!! Sorry to interrupt....:happy-very:

New Englander

OMG!! I have to tell you and I mean no disrespect nor am I trying to interrupt the family fued, but the above made me laugh. Here's why...

I remember way back in basic training we had this soldier that (pretended) to try to commit suicide as to get out (pressure was too much) and everyday the Drill SGT made that soldier carry his bunk from the 3rd floor to the 1st floor and set it up outside the CO's office, they then proceeded to wake the soldier up every hour to make sure that he wasn't dead.

Anyway, the part that made me laugh was that after that the Drill SGT told us... "Listen PVT's, you can try to commit suicide as much as ya want, you can even go out to the water tower and jump off... here is the one thing I promise you PVT's, the rest of us are still going to wake up, march past ya, and do PT"

Anyway....had to laugh!! Sorry to interrupt....:happy-very:

I also remember the movie Full Metal Jacket, it could go both ways :)

New Englander

Well, geez, it's a challenge to management anytime you file a grievance. But it still isn't the same as standing flat footed and refusing to work as directed.
I challenge management decisions also, but I don't refuse to do as I am told. When doing as I'm told creates a problem, I am first in line to say, " I told ya so, when are you gonna start listenin?"

It's not directly the same but it is a challenge. I stood flat footed to both the center manager and DM up in the center manager's office.

I was not fired I was given a warning letter. As it is.....in my 5 going on 6 years I have not even heard of one driver getting fired for any reason in any center near to me.