Intelligent Discussions

DS

Fenderbender
DS,
What is the purpose of moving the Curiosity 3 metres? I think space exploration is great, just not at this time. I'd rather they put the money for this project into the space station for more experiments.
Mr Doe,fair question.
I'm no scientist,but the fact that this vehicle weighs about a ton,and it's sitting on a planet a long way away,they are testing it slowly,to insure that they have all the kinks out.They want it to last a long time.Going full tilt ahead without considering everything would kinda like buying a new car and blowing off the oil changes.
Mars is a good choice for a travel destination. When it is at its closest to the Earth, called favorable opposition by astronomers, it is only about 35 million miles away. At its greatest distance from the Earth the trip would be about 250 million miles, so travel dates should be considered carefully.

JDoe123

ad astra per aspera
Mr Doe,fair question.
I'm no scientist,but the fact that this vehicle weighs about a ton,and it's sitting on a planet a long way away,they are testing it slowly,to insure that they have all the kinks out.They want it to last a long time.Going full tilt ahead without considering everything would kinda like buying a new car and blowing off the oil changes.
Mars is a good choice for a travel destination. When it is at its closest to the Earth, called favorable opposition by astronomers, it is only about 35 million miles away. At its greatest distance from the Earth the trip would be about 250 million miles, so travel dates should be considered carefully.

Well a big fat DUH on my part.  Didn't realize they hadn't moved it yet.

wkmac

DS,

Not Mars related but it is on the topic of space and in this case, deep space. The Sloan Digital Sky Survey and complete fly through animation with over 400k galaxies and 100 bil to 400 bil stars. It truly is amazing and thought provoking as to the potential of what else really might be out there. Enjoy.

[video=youtube;tFXEg-3MBv8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFXEg-3MBv8&feature=g-all-u[/video]

JDoe123

ad astra per aspera
DS,

Not Mars related but it is on the topic of space and in this case, deep space. The Sloan Digital Sky Survey and complete fly through animation with over 400k galaxies and 100 bil to 400 bil stars. It truly is amazing and thought provoking as to the potential of what else really might be out there. Enjoy.

[video=youtube;tFXEg-3MBv8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFXEg-3MBv8&feature=g-all-u[/video]

I'd like to see money going to more things like this than a Mars expedition.  How about another Hubble telescope?.   How do you wrap your brain around multiple universes?  The beginning of the universe?  Dark matter?  Higgs Boson?  I was watching a You Tube video on the Higgs Boson and the whole time was thinking, huh?  

DS

Fenderbender
I don't drive a pickup,but I got thinking today when I heard an add on the radio for "up to"
$13,000 off on a 2012 nissan Titan.Now if I was going to buy a pickup,I would tend to go the chevy,ford,dodge route.
Dont get me wrong,nissan makes good cars as does honda,but a honda ridgeline is relatively new as a pickup truck.
I've always liked chevys,but I'd probably go for a ford friend 150,just because I see so many of them beat to crap and still running.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I don't drive a pickup,but I got thinking today when I heard an add on the radio for "up to"
$13,000 off on a 2012 nissan Titan.Now if I was going to buy a pickup,I would tend to go the chevy,ford,dodge route.
Dont get me wrong,nissan makes good cars as does honda,but a honda ridgeline is relatively new as a pickup truck.
I've always liked chevys,but I'd probably go for a ford friend 150,just because I see so many of them beat to crap and still running.
I got almost $15,000 off my Volvo. I was a Subaru Outback girl. But, I knew if I bought another one, I'd let the dogs in it eventually. So, I was looking for something different but, had no clue what I wanted. This brand new s80 dropped into my lap and considering the warranty and the discount and the 0% vs 1.9%, the deal was way better than the Outback. I am soooooooo happy I bought it, too.
didn't even think about the free oil changes, as well.

kingOFchester

1,000's of years from now, they will be teaching the rise and fall of our present civilization. They will be scratching their heads in wonderment on how we spent so much money on space exploration, but yet we had such monumental problems here on earth that caused our demise.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
1,000's of years from now, they will be teaching the rise and fall of our present civilization. They will be scratching their heads in wonderment on how we spent so much money on space exploration, but yet we had such monumental problems here on earth that caused our demise.

Do you have thoughts on what those "monumental problems" are?

Nothing comes to mind now other than the ...

Well, maybe energy dependency?

Maybe the obsession with creating major population centers on the seashore?

Maybe the creation of a large population dependent on government for their existence?

moreluck

golden ticket member
1000 yrs. from now......gee, they had so many natural resources, why did they depend on others for fuel?

kingOFchester

Do you have thoughts on what those "monumental problems" are?

Nothing comes to mind now other than the ...

Well, maybe energy dependency?

Maybe the obsession with creating major population centers on the seashore?

Maybe the creation of a large population dependent on government for their existence?

#1) Weapons of mass destruction.
#2) Biological weapons.
#3) Dependency on fossil fuels.
#4) Global pandemic.
#5) Climate change, (regardless of reasons.)
#6) Global economical collapse.

To name a few.