intercept

worldwide

Delivery Change Options

On July 13, 2009, important changes will be implemented to the request process and pricing structure for both UPS Delivery Intercept® and specific types of Delivery Change Requests. These changes are being made to allow UPS to continue to provide these value-added service options to our shippers and their customers.

UPS provides the most extensive portfolio of Delivery Change Options for both shippers (UPS Delivery Intercept) and receivers (Delivery Change Requests). Shippers and receivers can take advantage of these services to make changes to the planned delivery of a package. Options include Deliver to Another Address, Reschedule Delivery, Will Call, and Return to Sender.

UPS Delivery Intercept allows shippers to intercept a package before the first delivery attempt and up to when the package is delivered. For packages that cannot be delivered during the first delivery attempt, the receiver of the package can contact UPS for a Delivery Change Request.

The changes are outlined below.

UPS Delivery Intercept:

There is no fee for requesting a Will Call, including Same Day Will Call.

The current fee of $10 still applies for Deliver to Another Address (including a request by a shipper to correct an address), Reschedule Delivery and Return to Sender requests.

An additional transportation charge will apply for Deliver to Another Address requests to addresses outside the local area.

Shippers can request a UPS Delivery Intercept using their UPS shipping system, Quantum View® Manage, ups.com® or by calling 1-800-PICK-UPS®*.

(* Does not apply to phone requests for the Deliver to Another Address option. However, shippers can request from their Account Executive the ability to make these requests via the phone.)

Delivery Change Requests:

There is a new fee for two of the Delivery Change Request options: Deliver to Another Address and Reschedule Delivery.

Online requests made at ups.com will be $4.

Phone requests to 1-800-PICK-UPS will be $6.

There is no fee for requesting a Will Call, including Same Day Will Call, or a Return to Sender.

The receiver must now provide a UPS InfoNotice® number when making a Delivery Change Request to deliver the package to an alternate address.

An additional transportation charge will apply for Deliver to Another Address requests to addresses outside the local area.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I received a message today about an intercept package that had the wrong address and I needed to bring it in for an address correction. Here's the part that I don't understand; the package was addressed to 5512 Main, but needed to go to 5513 Main. Why aren't we allowed to just deliver this type of intercept package on the same day rather that have the customer wait an extra day for it?

The shipper paid 10$ for the intercept.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You are not supposed to deliver the intercept package. That is correct. As far as I know, its not counted as a service failure either way.

Again, the real failure happened when the preload didn't intercept the package before you went on road.

Your center team is probably talking about the % successful intercepts. Every so often they track how successful we are at intercepting a package and re-directing it or returning it.

In the case mentioned here, the customer would have been much better off just calling in an address correction instead of executing an intercept.

P-Man

The package was most probably already on the vehicle when the shipper called it in, no? I doubt the clerks missed the dcr. Plus it would probably would have been missed on at least two shifts also, which is almost improbable.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
They have been used for address correction from the very start of the intercept program. the ones i really hate are the intercepts for a future delivery and the delivery date is the next day.

Yes I know what you mean. You get the future control tag for nothing and end up taking it off hold and del reschedule. brilliant :dead:

pretzel_man

The package was most probably already on the vehicle when the shipper called it in, no? I doubt the clerks missed the dcr. Plus it would probably would have been missed on at least two shifts also, which is almost improbable.

I thought it was mentioned that the intercept was in the DIAD? The DIAD then would not allow the package to be delivered. This can only happen if the intercept came in before the driver left the building.

A report prints in the center telling the preload of all the intercepts that have been sent. If its a PAS site, it also tells which car its on.

The preload is supposed to find these packages before the driver leaves. They go to an ECS station and are scanned. A new label would print with the updated information.

If this happened in the preload, the package could have been delivered the same day.

Again, this was not meant for an address correction. An address correction would have been cheaper for the shipper.

P-Man

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I thought it was mentioned that the intercept was in the DIAD? The DIAD then would not allow the package to be delivered. This can only happen if the intercept came in before the driver left the building.

A report prints in the center telling the preload of all the intercepts that have been sent. If its a PAS site, it also tells which car its on.

The preload is supposed to find these packages before the driver leaves. They go to an ECS station and are scanned. A new label would print with the updated information.

If this happened in the preload, the package could have been delivered the same day.

Again, this was not meant for an address correction. An address correction would have been cheaper for the shipper.

P-Man

Well, that is what Scratch said. The thread author said "they recieved a message", which lead me to believe the center sent a message FOR the package ( bring in main st to the office) rather than an auto one making the pkg undeliverable.

Didn't mean to confuse things anymore and it isn't like the original author gave us an update. :knockedout:

brownrodster

That's only if your building has all this new technology crap such as PAS and EDD and maybe telematics. We get messages to intercept because we keep it oldschool here.

The preload oftentimes does not remove these packages. They will leave notes in the truck for the driver to find. Once a package is thrown on the truck who knows where it is at now. preload is not going to waste time digging. We're lucky if more than half our packages are loaded on the proper shelf.

A few weeks ago I got a crazy message with too many words I barely read about an intercept. Later in the day I got another message that I had to go back and retrieve that intercept that I delivered. So I went and undelivered it and brought it to the clerk.

Last edited:

brownrodster

If we are directed to Intercept a package, then why would that be considered a service failure? The shipper is paying us now to not deliver the package, it shouldn't be considered a missed piece at that point.

If a package is an intercept but the driver delivers it or something then that is a service failure (words of management here) and shows up on a report. If we have an intercept we get a message to bring the package to a clerk.