Intoxicated Helper

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
How do you get fired twice.... for proven theft ?

Once was using cable seals to secure the hitch on his vehicle. That was weak but it was a stupid move and I agree he should have returned.

The second time he was on TAW working the dock, and had been for a few months. Instead of logging in by IVIS and documenting his time, he decided to go on paper. He was ultimately terminated for saying he started work hours before the computer logged him entering the facility each day. I heard one week he fudged almost 15 hours. For this they made him a BA supposedly to allow him to get years for his pension.

These incidents we're about a year apart if I remember correctly.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Once was using cable seals to secure the hitch on his vehicle. That was weak but it was a stupid move and I agree he should have returned.

The second time he was on TAW working the dock, and had been for a few months. Instead of logging in by IVIS and documenting his time, he decided to go on paper. He was ultimately terminated for saying he started work hours before the computer logged him entering the facility each day. I heard one week he fudged almost 15 hours. For this they made him a BA supposedly to allow him to get years for his pension.

He was doing what with the cable seals????

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Those are bizarre circumstances.

How do you get "appointed" to the position of BA after that ?

john chesney

The Union has no culpability in this situation.

4x the legal limit.... driving a company vehicle.... with a helper ?

The best deal you can get is being allowed to resign, and with an

agreement with the company, they won't protest an unemployment claim.

That is the best (and only) scenario in this situation.

-Bug-
You know the union has a duty to represent. I agree if he was drunk he has no case but still have to represent him and I agree with your scenario. I had a bus driver arrested with a bus full of kids drunk and the breathalyzer would not print results.She was over the legal limit the first test but police had to take her somewhere else and she was under. She did end up resigning

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
He was doing what with the cable seals????

He didn't have a locking bolt to secure the ball hitch to the back of his truck so he put cable seals around it to secure it.

I guess one of the guards from the inbound gate realized what they were and passed it on.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You know the union has a duty to represent.

Absolutely.

But part of that "duty" is having the gut's to tell the member the truth.

You want to go to the Panel and plead your case ?

OK.

It's a simple presentation, on the Union's part.

"Joe-Bob was drunk off his ass.... and want's to explain why.... he'll never

do it again. Joe-Bob wants to speak, about his personal problems."

When the Panel is done, listening to the emotional plea....

They will apply the contact language.

-Bug-

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Those are bizarre circumstances.

How do you get "appointed" to the position of BA after that ?

No one has a clue, I assume they could hire at will. So you're saying he had to be appointed? This all happened in a matter of weeks.

By all accounts he is a knowledgeable person in regards to the union. But I've heard quite a few members who are worried about the favoritism.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
He didn't have a locking bolt to secure the ball hitch to the back of his truck so he put cable seals around it to secure it.

I guess one of the guards from the inbound gate realized what they were and passed it on.
Oh... surprised those guards even cared...

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
No one has a clue, I assume they could hire at will. So you're saying he had to be appointed? This all happened in a matter of weeks.

By all accounts he is a knowledgeable person in regards to the union. But I've heard quite a few members who are worried about the favoritism.

@Rick Ross

You realize, I can't definitively answer every question.

If I could.... (and will)

Be the next IBT President.

:biggrin:

-Bug-

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
@Rick Ross

You realize, I can't definitively answer every question.

If I could.... (and will)

Be the next IBT President.

:biggrin:

-Bug-

I'm looking for a new candidate. :)

The Local 25 money grab and their silence has taken Sean O. out of consideration for me...unless Hoffa or one of the current guys is the only other alternative.

john chesney

Absolutely.

But part of that "duty" is having the gut's to tell the member the truth.

You want to go to the Panel and plead your case ?

OK.

It's a simple presentation, on the Union's part.

"Joe-Bob was drunk off his ass.... and want's to explain why.... he'll never

do it again. Joe-Bob wants to speak, about his personal problems."

When the Panel is done, listening to the emotional plea....

They will apply the contact language.

-Bug-
Definitely, I always give an honest assessment of the case.

rod

Retired 22 years
Years ago had a driver that smelled like a gin mill every morning ...poor guy ended up dying ....guys that where hung over would stand next 2 him during the PCM cause no one would think it was anyone else

That sounds like our resident drunk Cliff. We all had keys to the building and he would use his to get in and sleep in the changing room after the bars closed. He smoked like a steam engine and closed the bars every night. He got his 30 in and the last I heard at 72 he is still the town drunk where he lives now.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Why is this even newsworthy? It's not like the company does not know it happens just like they know that drivers piss in bottles but claim they don't. The company might as well condone drinking on the job to alleviate some of the stress they cause. Guys come to work tripping balls or so high they can barely keep their eyes open. What's the problem with a driver having a little hooch in their system to get through the day...

Future

Victory Ride
That sounds like our resident drunk Cliff. We all had keys to the building and he would use his to get in and sleep in the changing room after the bars closed. He smoked like a steam engine and closed the bars every night. He got his 30 in and the last I heard at 72 he is still the town drunk where he lives now.
God bless him ... my guy never got 2 30 yrs ...I think 25 .... he had demons from his past ...ended up losing everything his wife his job and eventually his life