iPods/Music While Loading? (package handler)

livin the dream

our sort manager recently had multiple signs hung up saying there is no cell phone or ipod use allowed, period. it used to be that you just couldn't be ****ing around on your phone during a shift, which is completely understandable. but i guess some people ( a lot of people) had a hard time getting that, so now there's dudes hiding phones in their damn pants. personally, i have my phone available all day except for the twilight sort, why the hell is it that essential for me to have it for the 4-5 hours during the shift, which everyone i know, knows i'm working?

anonymous4

Both ear-buds in all shift with music so loud I will be deaf in due time. I figure, there are already deaf people who work there, if they can escape from daily disaster I can too. As far as phones, our hub/shift reminds me of the classroom environment in "Clueless". If you don't like how you're being treated, maybe you should work harder.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Both ear-buds in all shift with music so loud I will be deaf in due time. I figure, there are already deaf people who work there, if they can escape from daily disaster I can too. As far as phones, our hub/shift reminds me of the classroom environment in "Clueless". If you don't like how you're being treated, maybe you should work harder.
Deaf at work might not be so bad....hard to work as directed when I can't hear you.....lol

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Our District safety said NO EARPHONES at all... It prevents you from hearing (directional) over the machine noise...
I suggest someone wears hearing protection to test this theory. It's surely still valid in hubs and centers around UPS.

This could result in a messy situation since they surely cannot forbid the act of protecting one's hearing.

Personally, either earbuds or hearing protection, my ears are always covered. The machine noises are brutally fatiguing (along with the jammed belt screeching)

nothing more serene than quiet work environment.

RockinRobin

We are ALL being WATCHED!
I tried hearing protection for a few days, but felt isolated. And, listening to your own breathing is a bit odd. I would bet that over months or years of noise levels in most Hubs, your hearing is damaged, even if the damage is not severe.

Still, earbuds with music would be a welcome perk for many grunts AKA "Package Handlers". I'm sure some Pick-Offs and other positions would like them as well. I have seen YouTube videos of UPS PT-ers wearing them or wearing one ear as they work. Depends on the area and the Supe I suppose.

MiaFl27

Music has been a wish of mine ever since I started working the unload. Over time I saw several people with earbuds and realized that the best way is to simply buy a mp3player with a watch wristband and hide the ear buds inside of the hub. I'm guessing every location has different rules but in mine they are strict with security and have metal detectors but they never seem to mind watches. I just purchased the mp3/watch today from eBay .... Let's see if it'll be a good investment