Is Central States pension fund ready to go under?

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
Maybe his route allows him to eat home for lunch too.
This is a statement from a yellow freight driver out of Miami,Fla that went to the Teamsters picnic ! Two drivers approached Jim Hoffa with two security guards and the one driver asked Jim Hoffa what is he going to do about the pension. Jim asked the one driver what his age was and the driver told him - Hoffa stated your too young to worry about retirement and walked away ? I wouldv`e yelled out you wouldn`t need protection if you were doing the right thing !

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red, check this out. I have been looking at the times that you post on this forum. You are on everyday of the week, and in the morning, afternoon, and night times. If you were working for UPS as an employee, then you would not be able to write on this forum at the times that you do. I believe that you are a BA or union representative trying to keep your job and hefty pension that the Teamsters provide for you. You seem to have all hours of the day everyday of the week to write pro-Teamster propaganda.
E thanks for the concern, but i will take almost anyday off that i can so sometimes i might come on here during the day if im home and while my kids are napping. Thats usually one day a week but for the most part i come on here after 8pm central if i have a chance after work. Cole and some others on here know who i am and i know who there are, because believe it or not some of us have became buddies outside of here and communicate through emails and have exchanged phone numbers. Please just try sticking to the facts, because your confusing use with all the conspiracy theories of yours.

wwarner11

What does the pension of GM have to do with the pension of UPS employees? There is a big difference that you overlook. GM controlled its employee pension plan, and they manipulated it any way they wanted. However, the APWA plan differs such that the company (UPS) only contributes money into a pension plan, but is managed by the union (whether it be the Teamsters or the APWA). The big advantage of the APWA plan over the Teamsters is that all the money would go to the employees of UPS, whereby under the Teamsters, our money is shared with all the other Central States employees, thus we receive only 40% of our money, or less every year that we remain in the multipension plan. Currently, UPS puts $214 per week per employee into the pension plan, but we are credited only $86 per week. Why should we accept this?
With all due respect, UPS is not a easy employer. If in the future you should decide to change jobs and you have a UPS pension and that is it, your out of luck.Your local union will not be able to help you because you are no longer in the Teamster plan, rather you are under the UPS plan and this would not contribute towards to your pension because UPS is no longer with your locals pension plan. However if you belong to a multi fund you do continue being protected. Remember once they have your pension then they own you. Production levels will increase.
20 stops a hour will now be 25 stops a hour and this is just the beginning. beware of this nonsense, it will bite you in the ass in the end.Remember UPS is willing to spend billions to withdraw from these funds. I ask you, what protection do you have after you give up your pension. And why would UPS be willing to spend all of this money?

Bill

I have no beef with the teamsters. The beef with cs pension is on the investment firm. I am an active member i attend every monthly meeting and outside organizing drives, i get out of it what i put in, and i cant complain about it. The teamsters give me more than i give them. Get involved and quit your crying!
You get more out of them, because you will receive a nice pension check of $5000 per month (Correct me if i am wrong on this figure) when you retire. You only have to work 30 years to receive it. The unfortunate employees in CS have restrictions, no 30-and-out, and a far inferior pension than other employees around the country. Put yourself in our situation. Would you be happy knowing that you have to work up to 40 years to receive less money? I don't think so.

Bill

Boy, this is funny! Again, Eng, FOCUS! YOU sure haven't explained anything to me! Please refer to earlier posts. I've asked you question after question and you just artfully direct the answer to APWA and the CS! You should be a politician.

TRY to zero in on the question at hand and stick to it. I'm not going to go over and over this time and time again (at least I said I wasn't), but you seem so Attention Deficient that I find myself trying to get you focused somehow and it just ain't working! You just won't take your meds when we're not watching you every hour!
I believe your questions have been answered by satellite or sawdustv. What specifically do you want to know? While you are on the topic, why haven't you or anyone else answered my only question that I pose to you? What are the Teamsters doing to fix the pension problem in CS. You don't care, because you and Red are in Chicago enjoying a hefty pension when you retire after 30 years. Why are you watching me every hour? Don't you have a life or anything else to do? I guess not.

Bill

Red usually posts after 8pm eastern i think.... excepting Weekends

could be wrong
You are wrong. All you have to do is check the times of his posts (adjust for pacific time) and you will see that he is on in the morning, noon, and evenings, 7 days a week.

705red

Browncafe Steward
You are wrong. All you have to do is check the times of his posts (adjust for pacific time) and you will see that he is on in the morning, noon, and evenings, 7 days a week.
Once again e79 you show that your more worried about nonsense than you are about the facts. I do try to take at least 1 day off a week and sometimes i get lucky and get 2, lets not forget that its summer time and thats the time alot of us also use vacation time. You probably would know that if you in fact were a ups employee! Seeing you would like to know whos who, what do you do at ups? Lets hear your history with ups! Should i inform you of my upcoming weeks of vacation so you know when i might be on?

I must really be getting to you if your looking at ways af attempting to discredit me and bring me down to your level!

Fyi i had a half day today, i sure hope thats ok with you!

Last edited:

30andout

Once again e79 you show that your more worried about nonsense than you are about the facts. I do try to take at least 1 day off a week and sometimes i get lucky and get 2, lets not forget that its summer time and thats the time alot of us also use vacation time. You probably would know that if you in fact were a ups employee! Seeing you would like to know whos who, what do you do at ups? Lets hear your history with ups! Should i inform you of my upcoming weeks of vacation so you know when i might be on?

I must really be getting to you if your looking at ways af attempting to discredit me and bring me down to your level!

Fyi i had a half day today, i sure hope thats ok with you!
Hay Red, how do you get so many days off? I'm senior driver and they take my route out every Monday. A lot of times they will send a lower driver home and not even ask me. I asked the steward if they can do that and he said sure why not.

Cole

30, the contract says "voluntary lay off", so if you push it you can go home over the jr driver. Know your contract and push it bro. Point it out to your steward, he may not know the language, but that's what it says in the Atlantic Area Supplement.

Fullhouse

Cole, In M Beach they won't let us go home. They say that the junior driver dosen't know the route and they will not have service failures, and the sups come up with bs reasons why they can't ride/train the junior driver. The truth been known it has to do with being lazy!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Cole, In M Beach they won't let us go home. They say that the junior driver dosen't know the route and they will not have service failures, and the sups come up with bs reasons why they can't ride/train the junior driver. The truth been known it has to do with being lazy!
Seniority rules!

30 here if they bust out your route you get first shot at going home over any swing driver, you are a bid route driver and not a cover driver.

Truth be told on the days off alot of it is because im in the office fighting for somenones job. im not a steward that is content with ok fire him, we will argue it for hours some days and its just easier to give away my route than have me leave at 1030 or 11am.

I dont have any outstanding credit debt other than my house payment, i believe if you need it than save for it, i hate paying finance fees on my money.

E79 i worked over 11 hours today, just so you know!

Cole

It's a matter of enforcing your contract, and using your seniority. They used to try to send jr drivers home here, but we stopped that yrs ago. If they don't know a run it's mngmnts job to teach them etc...Believe me it's very hard for a jr driver to go home, because alot of sr drivers are waiting like buzzards over carrion, to go home, because the contract says, "voluntary lay off". It's a non issue if you push the contract.

I am certainly kind enough to volunteer my run to a poor jr driver who has nothing to run for 1 day. ;)

30andout

All sounds good but if I complain or file I'll be guaranteed some sort of harassment or just 10 hour days the rest of the week. Steward here says there is nothing in the contract to file on anyway.

Cole

If you know your contract my friend, what your steward says is irrelevant, because the language is clear, and he/she can bring reproach on the union by failing to enforce the contract. Art 37 deals with excessive overtime, so you have plenty of options, also it is illegal to retalliate against you for protected activity, specifically the activity of filing grievances in violation of our contract.

I'll post the article tom on the "voluntary layoff, as it's late and I don't feel like going out to the car and getting my contract book out.

Sometimes a steward doesn't know the contract that well, and you have to point out the specific language to them.