Is it a Hub or a Center?

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
What determines if a building is classified as a Hub or Center? I was told that if a bldg generates loads it is a hub but if they just sort loads and deliver them on package cars it is a center.:confused2:

over9five

Staff member
I believe it was Hoax (one of our most knowlegable and good looking members) who said Hub SLICS end in 9.
What's your SLIC, dude?
Mine's 0189.

DS

Fenderbender
A hub is the wheel in the middle
A center delivers the freight
A hub can have numerous centers
A center is 8 divided by 8
So the hub is the mentor for a whole lot or centers
That feed all the hubs everywhere,but a center is one
by itself as a whole , a hub can can have lots of late air

bluehdmc

Hubs have a night sort and centers do not.........at least thats the trend that I have noticed in my travels

Edison, NJ, (SLIC 0899) only has 2 sorts. There are others in NJ that only have 2 sorts, yet still end in 9

I think it may be a Hub if it has 2 or more centers.

InTheRed

I think what will define a HUB vs CENTER is what type of outbound loads it creates.

If it creates hub to hub, as well as hub to center (i.e. generates/creates a bunch of preload loads for other buildings), then it is a hub. If it doesn't (i.e. it creates its own retain load, and a few hub loads to handle the rest of the country), then it is a center.

This, of course, will be dependent upon pickup volume. If you pickup enough volume, you can't shove it all onto 3-4 hubs... you'll have to do the hub's job and create preload loads, or numerous hub-to-hub loads. If you do that, you are a hub.