Is it normal for recently hired part time workers to work only 3 hours

DBD12

I was recently hired as a part time unloader and it has only been two weeks since I started working. I was hired along side 4 other guys and a few of us get sent home early almost everyday. I know that the union guarantees at least 3 and a half hours of work each day but most of the time some of the new hires including me get sent home with barely three hours of work sometimes less if there is less packages than usual. Once the majority of the packages have been unloaded, the supervisor starts sending the new hires home so if you're one of the first ones chosen then you leave work with barely three hours of work and if you're one of the last ones remaining then you leave work with around 3 and a half hours of work. The only few times that I worked more than 3 hours was when I was one of the ones unloading the last truck so I had to stay or someone needed an extra pair of hands somewhere else but those are rare moments and most of time I get sent home around the 3 hour mark. I was just wondering if this is normal for new hires and I could expect my hours to increase once.

542thruNthru

I was recently hired as a part time unloader and it has only been two weeks since I started working. I was hired along side 4 other guys and a few of us get sent home early almost everyday. I know that the union guarantees at least 3 and a half hours of work each day but most of the time some of the new hires including me get sent home with barely three hours of work sometimes less if there is less packages than usual. Once the majority of the packages have been unloaded, the supervisor starts sending the new hires home so if you're one of the first ones chosen then you leave work with barely three hours of work and if you're one of the last ones remaining then you leave work with around 3 and a half hours of work. The only few times that I worked more than 3 hours was when I was one of the ones unloading the last truck so I had to stay or someone needed an extra pair of hands somewhere else but those are rare moments and most of time I get sent home around the 3 hour mark. I was just wondering if this is normal for new hires and I could expect my hours to increase once.
It would depend on where you are and the size of your building. You're guaranteed three and a half hours but you're in your probation period and I wouldn't recommend pushing the issue until you pass probation. After that tell them you want your 3 and 1/2 and they can shove it if they want to send you home!

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
What did the job description say when you were hired 3 and 1/2 to 4 hours right?

meritocracy

It's normal for your probationary period. You can ask for more work when you get done every day though. They probably won't let you do it during your probationary period but you can ask to double shift as well.