Is it really worth it?

To be fair to Loyal Teamster, when you ship with Ebay, you have two options of who to ship with, FedEx and USPS. You can use UPS, but its not nearly as simple, and 90% of the time it does cost more. UPS needs to work with Ebay to get that account. I think the thing is that UPS is more expensive most of the time with smaller items than FedEx or USPS, that is why it doesn't work well for most Ebay items.

I know I could stick around and maybe someday see 100k a year, but it will also mean working 50-60 hours a week, dealing with supervisors who treat you like kids, not like part of a team. I am sick of being talked down to. I know the sups work hard, but so do I.
50-60 hours a week for 25- 30 years YES OR NO?

opey

the technology at UPS doesnt make a drivers job easier.. in fact it just complicates it more. its really there for THEM, not us.. so they can monitor everything u do, time you down to the minute, and so forth. if u cant read a map, orion isnt going to help you...

NXA

Think about how much simpler this has become in the last 10 years. Loaders are loading by numbers not addresses anymore. Drivers don't have to develop a personalized route, it's already set for you.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe, from a certain perspective, the dispatch and immediate supervision functions have been automated. "Simpler" because the machines do the decision-making.

But on my routes, in the last ten years traffic has nearly doubled, the cell-phone-driver-ridiculousness is ubiquitous, and the delivery density os way up. And customers still expect top notch service. (As they should, because they're paying top dollar). This job has not gotten easier. At all.

To the OP. This is a tough job with long hours. It takes a toll over years.

But damn $45k isn't very much money if you've got a family.

brownstreak86

Maybe, from a certain perspective, the dispatch and immediate supervision functions have been automated. "Simpler" because the machines do the decision-making.

But on my routes, in the last ten years traffic has nearly doubled, the cell-phone-driver-ridiculousness is ubiquitous, and the delivery density os way up. And customers still expect top notch service. (As they should, because they're paying top dollar). This job has not gotten easier. At all.

But damn $45k isn't very much money if you've got a family.[/QUOTE]

Maybe 45K isn't much, but its enough. I'd rather spend 40 hours a week and 4 days a week at a job thats good, than work 10-60 hours a week at a job that be-littles me, doesn't offer a steady income, and wears me out every day that I do work. I think happiness comes with a price. Maybe its 55k a year... I'm not sure. Still on the fence.

I was called into the office today with my steward because apparently my email last week to my supervisor about feeling frustrated in my position made her feel like I was disrespecting her. I didn't know anything about it but after the PCM she told me to follow her. Then she called her supervisor who said "what you did was not cool". My email was simple and straight to the point, not what I thought would be considered disrespectful. I'm over it.

NXA

But damn $45k isn't very much money if you've got a family.

Maybe 45K isn't much, but its enough. I'd rather spend 40 hours a week and 4 days a week at a job thats good, than work 10-60 hours a week at a job that be-littles me, doesn't offer a steady income, and wears me out every day that I do work. I think happiness comes with a price. Maybe its 55k a year... I'm not sure. Still on the fence.

I was called into the office today with my steward because apparently my email last week to my supervisor about feeling frustrated in my position made her feel like I was disrespecting her. I didn't know anything about it but after the PCM she told me to follow her. Then she called her supervisor who said "what you did was not cool". My email was simple and straight to the point, not what I thought would be considered disrespectful. I'm over it.[/QUOTE]
Only I would say this, getcha something going on the side, a little business or investment income. Helps fill in the bottoms of the potholes.

And mind your diet and health. Have fun. Imma try to spring this joint in ten.

brownstreak86

I emailed her requesting a day off to close on a house. She said that day was really bad for me to take off. I told her, its non-negotiable and explained how frustrated I was with the situation I am in. I thought open communication was a good thing, but apparently its not the case at UPS. I have blocked her email address now as well as her personal cell phone and told her to only contact me through the UPS line.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It's a different world now toonertoo. I don't know how you stand it. Hope you get out soon.
I come to work as little as possible. I understand email, but, when you need the day, and you have a phone, you call. I just dont get the email thing. Why wait for an answer? And it should not have been a question. Personal, reasons. I wont be in today.

brownstreak86

They changed the date on the closing at the last minute. I am the lowest seniority driver. I don't have any vacation, sick, or personal days. But I will tell you, I am not showing up to work on closing day.