Is it worth it though?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I didn't say it was transferable. I simply said economically it is feasible. Also I never said it was ready yet..it takes time for things to be ironed out so they aren't an insurance risk. And yes it is being widely adopted, how many billion dollar companies are getting their feet wet in this? All of them. Because they know it's the future.
Yeah, they're dipping their feet in the water. But it's a lot further out than you seem to believe.

ITwannabe

Yeah, they're dipping their feet in the water. But it's a lot further out than you seem to believe.
People have said that about almost ever new piece of tech....it's not gonna be all implemented at once. It will be gradual. 10 years is a long time to finish something they are already working on.

oldngray

nowhere special
Expert-Advice..png

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
How does the drone get a signature in the ghetto without getting bashed/stolen along with the the package? How does the self driving car drive in the ghetto with no one obeying traffic lights, people walking, running, and fighting in the street, and dead crackheads on the curb? I'll be ok I guess.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
How does the drone get a signature in the ghetto without getting bashed/stolen along with the the package? How does the self driving car drive in the ghetto with no one obeying traffic lights, people walking, running, and fighting in the street, and dead crackheads on the curb? I'll be ok I guess.

In the utopian future world of @Smellsmira, everything will be nicer than even the BOG.

SixSidedAnomaly

What about the cost of maintenance of automated vehicles? Gotta retrain all the mechanics of UPS, the systems will have to be reprogrammed for each individual route each day, and what happens when the system malfunctions in the middle of a route? How does a jumper figure out how to drive to rescue said package car?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Mercedes self driving system only cost them 10k per car. If u add that plus a low yearly wage it will probably pay for itself in a year compared to the 85k a year a full time driver costs them plus benefits.

I didn't say it was transferable. I simply said economically it is feasible. Also I never said it was ready yet..it takes time for things to be ironed out so they aren't an insurance risk. And yes it is being widely adopted, how many billion dollar companies are getting their feet wet in this? All of them. Because they know it's the future.

What exactly do you do for ups that you have all this brilliant insider information ?

sandwich

The resident gearhead
People have said that about almost ever new piece of tech....it's not gonna be all implemented at once. It will be gradual. 10 years is a long time to finish something they are already working on.
so in the near future when ups puts a full self driving fleet on the road and us unskilled service providers are still doing the same job for 11 hours a day. what makes you think we are going to take a pay cut. we're still service providers it's just now our trucks have an added safety feature. also you must not be a driver. to get a route done in some what of a normal day you have to do a lot of creative driving and parking. this tech is so far away from package cars it's not even worth talking about. so what now, ups makes all these new 8 dollar an hour package runners part time, excellent idea smellsmira. so now they will have to triple the amount of trucks on the road. sounds economically feasible for sure. ups can't even figure how to add ground to saturday.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
with all this talk of drones delivering packages everyone is forgetting pickups. I run 45 pickups a day and pickup about 700 pieces. I bulk out a 1200. how is a drone going to do that. you would need thousands of drones per center to do what one package car driver can do. and even if a drone could pickup one package it would have to be perfectly placed outside in the drone pickup area. not a stack of boxes sitting inside a ware house on the ground. or maybe an 8 dollar an hour runner in his self driving truck will bust out my massive pickup string...... for 8 bucks an hour lol

Turdferguson

Just a turd
What exactly do you do for ups that you have all this brilliant insider information ?
He's been driving two years.
So this is a unique situation. I have been at UPS 1 year now(hired full time off street) I qualified on a route and then stayed on this route for 1 year. I have been told by other drivers that technically i can claim that route as a bid route because i have been on it for 1 year. Is this true? And if so there is still an issue i am unclear about. This route was originally run by a top seniority guy. He got "injured" and went on disability for a short time. But he never gave UPS an injury date. During this time he also put himself into "active duty" for the national guard. He was no enlisted. He sought this job out. So he was cheating UPS by claiming disability and also working for the guard. SO he has just come back and i have been kicked off this route and put on :censored2: i hate. He originally thought he was going to be able to retire by having his military years count but UPS has denied that request. So if they denied his years of service does this mean i can file a grievance and claim the route as my own bid route? Because if they denied him the years then how do they hold his route for him? its contradictory.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
so in the near future when ups puts a full self driving fleet on the road and us unskilled service providers are still doing the same job for 11 hours a day. what makes you think we are going to take a pay cut. we're still service providers it's just now our trucks have an added safety feature. also you must not be a driver. to get a route done in some what of a normal day you have to do a lot of creative driving and parking. this tech is so far away from package cars it's not even worth talking about. so what now, ups makes all these new 8 dollar an hour package runners part time, excellent idea smellsmira. so now they will have to triple the amount of trucks on the road. sounds economically feasible for sure. ups can't even figure how to add ground to saturday.
I see it taking over feeders much sooner than package car.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
He's been driving two years.
oh we are dealing with a real winner here. The way he was talking, I thought he was in I.E. 2 years??

Okay he can officially shut the hell up now.

Sounds like he fits this new batch of arrogant young sups that have it all figured out.

I would of pegged him for a PT belt sup.

So he basically thinks his job will be outsourced or degraded to $8/HR ???

He should quit now and get a head start on designing the next big tech. The way he talks, I would have figured he has a basic high school education and very little common sense.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
What kind of driving? Air driver or seasonal maybe?
hes in one of those new driverless package cars now. They did it just for him.

Does anyone want to break it to skippy that if all his "predictions" are true, he's out of a job etc???

I'm betting by the time the AI tech is perfected and the legalities worked out, he will be retiring with 35 years in.

oldngray

nowhere special
hes in one of those new driverless package cars now. They did it just for him.

Does anyone want to break it to skippy that if all his "predictions" are true, he's out of a job etc???

I'm betting by the time the AI tech is perfected and the legalities worked out, he will be retiring with 35 years in.

Maybe he was running one of the golf cart helper routes.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
It won't be a drone....it will be you sitting in the jump seat for 8 bucks an hour while a computer drives you around.
You sir are not smart. Insurance companies don't cover driverless cars. Plus the billions of dollars to implement these technologies into every center in every state, in every truck. Think a little harder... Maybe alot