Is it worth it though?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
It's the classic traveling salesman problem. Which he probably never heard of.
He's trying to put stuff he's learned in college and apply it completely to ups without even understanding ups, its operations or how they do things.

It's the classic" I got a degree and damn it I want to show everyone what I know" pattern.

oldngray

nowhere special
He's trying to put stuff he's learned in college and apply it completely to ups without even understanding ups, its operations or how they do things.

It's the classic" I got a degree and damn it I want to show everyone what I know" pattern.

More likely he only had a couple of classes but hasn't learned about the real world yet.

ITwannabe

So you have a degree in software development and you think that ups will implement driverless cars and we will all take huge pay cuts to be glorified "helpers"?

Do I have that correct?

For a tech guy, you seem really really stupid. Research telematics a little more. It's pretty much all GPS. And if they wanted turn by turn gps, they would have installed them years ago. They had and have the technology. Why haven't they? Because it wouldn't be productive in the bigger picture of running a route.
You don't have to believe me about my degree or not. They haven't put GPS in the trucks because it's a distraction. They were working on voice only GPS but what I heard lately is that the GPS will display your location on the backup camera when the car is in park. More like a map that shows where you are on it and pin points of your stops...just like the Orion computers they installed in the centers.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....

You got a degree, but do you have a job?

ITwannabe

First you bash me by saying I'm uneducated...now you bash me for being educated? I didn't say I was better than u. In fact I didn't mention it on purpose because I didn't want to come across that way. But you can't have a normal conversation without calling me an idiot, insulting my wife, or bashing my life history? Your a real stand-up guy

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
First you bash me by saying I'm uneducated...now you bash me for being educated? I didn't say I was better than u. In fact I didn't mention it on purpose because I didn't want to come across that way. But you can't have a normal conversation without calling me an idiot, insulting my wife, or bashing my life history? Your a real stand-up guy

Where did he call you an idiot?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
You don't have to believe me about my degree or not. They haven't put GPS in the trucks because it's a distraction. They were working on voice only GPS but what I heard lately is that the GPS will display your location on the backup camera when the car is in park. More like a map that shows where you are on it and pin points of your stops...just like the Orion computers they installed in the centers.

So you're now intimately involved with Ups and their technology department ???

Yeah they've been saying the monitors were going to serve a multi purpose for years. Know why they haven't implemented any of this you speak of? Because it won't increase efficiency or production and will actually create some severe safety issues.

And once again, GPS is in the trucks. They can see every path taken, delivery point etc.

The GPS you speak of would hinder a driver from doing his job safely and effectively.

Seriously, go learn some more about ups before you start making sweeping generalization predictions of the future.

ITwannabe

So you're now intimately involved with Ups and their technology department ???

Yeah they've been saying the monitors were going to serve a multi purpose for years. Know why they haven't implemented any of this you speak of? Because it won't increase efficiency or production and will actually create some severe safety issues.

And once again, GPS is in the trucks. They can see every path taken, delivery point etc.

The GPS you speak of would hinder a driver from doing his job safely and effectively.

Seriously, go learn some more about ups before you start making sweeping generalization predictions of the future.

The Orion team members told me in 2018 at least in our center they would have that.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
umm I never bashed your wife genius. Please show me where I said this??

Do you know how to read a forum on the Internet?? I'm confused. You have a degree in software development and you can't read or comprehend what's written?

Man you really are stupid.

BrownArmy

Automated Feeder runs maybe, but honestly we're a decade away from that, for the simple reason that our nation's infrastructure is in shambles.

Dedicated lanes for automated tractor-trailers that draft off each other and travel at 130mph?

We have the tech for that. If we all decided to implement that, we're still a decade away.

In either case, we're half a century away from a computer program savvy enough to handle all the variables of a drivers job.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
umm I never bashed your wife genius. Please show me where I said this??

Do you know how to read a forum on the Internet?? I'm confused. You have a degree in software development and you can't read or comprehend what's written?

Man you really are stupid.

Not stupid; simple idiot.
Big difference.