Is it worth it?

I will start by saying I do not work for ups. I have applied twice, once as package handler in 2018 and earlier this year as a pt driver. I was contact by hr about pt driver position and was told it would be a casual driver position. I did the driving test, back ground check, then other forms including tax info, direct deposit etc. Then waited to do the week of driving school. When I starting seeing new drivers in my area I reached out to hr who told me they had put a hold on hiring new drivers and I would be considered in the future. A retired ups driver i know is pushing me to keep trying for a position for better pay and the benefits. I've talked to a few local drivers that encourage me to do the same. Currently I work in the agricultural business 50 hrs a week normally busy season 60 to 80hrs. I'll probably top out around 60k a year( I'm pretty close to that now). If I keep trying and do get hired, I live 40 minutes from the hub I will work at instead of 5 minutes where I work now. I'm 30 and know if I'm going to make the switch I need to now. I'm asking here as opposed to stopping a busy driver because Noone here is on the clock... Would the switch at my age be worth it?

I will start by saying I do not work for ups. I have applied twice, once as package handler in 2018 and earlier this year as a pt driver. I was contact by hr about pt driver position and was told it would be a casual driver position. I did the driving test, back ground check, then other forms including tax info, direct deposit etc. Then waited to do the week of driving school. When I starting seeing new drivers in my area I reached out to hr who told me they had put a hold on hiring new drivers and I would be considered in the future. A retired ups driver i know is pushing me to keep trying for a position for better pay and the benefits. I've talked to a few local drivers that encourage me to do the same. Currently I work in the agricultural business 50 hrs a week normally busy season 60 to 80hrs. I'll probably top out around 60k a year( I'm pretty close to that now). If I keep trying and do get hired, I live 40 minutes from the hub I will work at instead of 5 minutes where I work now. I'm 30 and know if I'm going to make the switch I need to now. I'm asking here as opposed to stopping a busy driver because Noone here is on the clock... Would the switch at my age be worth it?
Don't do it

El Correcto

god is dead
I make around 60k a year if I only work like 150 ish days and with mostly 9.5 dispatches.

If I had to work 80 hours a week I’d be looking for another job, but good on you for doing that to support yourself.

JustDeliverIt

Also need to consider the benefits here. Not sure what you get now but full family medical, dental and vision at no cost other than union dues. Pension that your vested in after 5 years. And that is even if you are PT. Just something else to consider.

Est.1998

You need to focus more on what will satisfy you versus what will get you a few extra dollars. You dropping a job to drive at UPS for the holidays is like running away from home to work with the chain gang.

I live in a very rural area. So I feel like getting on after ups peak season as a package handler and putting in for cover or air driver is very doable.
I've been a route Driver delivering ice and beer and like knowing when you go to work you empty your truck and your day is done. Peak season for me is from late March to August because I run a sprayer. I go to work knowing I'm going to spray but I sit for 10 to 16 hours somedays only getting out to load my machine.
I get full benefits where I'm at but I'm paying almost $500 a month to insure my wife and kids.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I live in a very rural area. So I feel like getting on after ups peak season as a package handler and putting in for cover or air driver is very doable.
I've been a route Driver delivering ice and beer and like knowing when you go to work you empty your truck and your day is done. Peak season for me is from late March to August because I run a sprayer. I go to work knowing I'm going to spray but I sit for 10 to 16 hours somedays only getting out to load my machine.
I get full benefits where I'm at but I'm paying almost $500 a month to insure my wife and kids.
Peak season at UPS is November 1st to October 31 for the past five years.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
yes.

unloady

Thanks guys this helps out alot.
Full time UPS drivers work 50-60 hours a week. Working full time for UPS is a life commitment. Your days off will be spent sleeping/recovering. If benefits are what you are primarily looking for, I would take on a PT handler position and work that schedule around your FT job.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Your age is not the issue so much as the commute. But if I was you I would still rather drive for UPS for 40-60 hours a week for better pay rather than sit in a sprayer for more hours and worse pay.