Is Management Brainwashed?

KingofBrown

Understood, i was just curious to know what this something is , that his supervisor almost always refers him to center manager. There is a chain of command that exists , that if immediate supervisor doesn't know or have authority, it would naturally be referred to next level. But according to his post, he almost never gets answers from his immediate supervisor. I see on road sups giving out information, direction daily. Very rarely is it referred to center manager, unless its a request -such as a day off; 8 hr day request, etc.

That's the way it used to be here too, not a long ago.

KingofBrown

LOL... How did you get that hes filling a grievance cuz he has to talk to his center manager instead of his OCS. Hes refering to the fact that management has no authority to make decisions(like pupets). Well actually they do they are just afraid to cuz of the DM finds out about it and higher up then they will get lynched. Like for instance I bet our DM doesnt know that when there are misloads instead of going out and getting them to the right driver they will tell them to put NI 1 w/ out going to the stop and sometimes w/ out calling the stop so they dont have a missed pkg for the day.

Exactly, bro. hehehehe. That's what I meant.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Its not so much that they are brainwashed, its that they are puppets who have been given a responsibility to meet impossible expectations without being given any of the resources or authority they need to achieve those goals.

Its a mistake to even call them "management" in the first place. "Management" implies that they have authority, and the ability to make decisions. The "management" that most of us deal with on the operational level have no authority whatsoever and they are not empowered to make any meaningful decisions. They would be more accurately described as "facilitators".

Most of them are pretty decent people who went into management with the best of intentions. Most of them made the mistake of thinking that they could make UPS a better place to work. And now that the myth of the "partnership" model of management has been exposed for the lie that it is...most of these people are just trying to survive one day at a time.
"Facilitators?" Nah, Just hard luck pawns that stumbled into the wrong game.

deleted9

Is there a special training received by management? UPS has been a great place to work at. But, these last two years it has been as if management wants to get rid of people. I don't know, even the supervisors I got along with, and were congruent with one on other, started to have a more hostile attitude. I dont know the atmosphere feels discordant. Is the same way in your place or is it just mine?

I made decisions every minute of every day in the operations i was assigned, thats what management gets paid to do, i stood by all of my decisions and when necessary i explained to my boss why that decision was made, end of story. A lot of times people get upset because they receive answers to their questions or concerns that they don't want to here. There will always be production and quality standards at UPS, the difference now is that technology can monitor peoples actions more closely than ever before. Example, years ago a driver went out on the road when he/she came back to the building, their production and service levels were not available to the next day, now they can monitor what is being done while it is being done. More accountability......

Insincerity

I'm Insincere
I made decisions every minute of every day in the operations i was assigned, thats what management gets paid to do, i stood by all of my decisions and when necessary i explained to my boss why that decision was made, end of story.

no longer "end of story"
tolerance for non-optimal decisions has been reduced
some react by not making decisions

Blizzard

Its not so much that they are brainwashed, its that they are puppets who have been given a responsibility to meet impossible expectations without being given any of the resources or authority they need to achieve those goals.

Its a mistake to even call them "management" in the first place. "Management" implies that they have authority, and the ability to make decisions. The "management" that most of us deal with on the operational level have no authority whatsoever and they are not empowered to make any meaningful decisions. They would be more accurately described as "facilitators".

Most of them are pretty decent people who went into management with the best of intentions. Most of them made the mistake of thinking that they could make UPS a better place to work. And now that the myth of the "partnership" model of management has been exposed for the lie that it is...most of these people are just trying to survive one day at a time.

If I can make a judgement based on the number of posts you make here and the venom behind them it appears management has actually been managing you to point where you vent here?

Blizzard

no longer "end of story"

Good post interesting analogy. I think perhaps the tolerance for non-optimal decisions has never been there.
In the past you could be forgiven if you learned from your mistakes?
is there forgiveness in todays world?

upssup

I was a mechanic for 5 years and supervisor for 3 years. Yes I can say my cars because when there is an issue, no matter what it is, it is my butt that is in the line of fire not the driver. And yes I take ownership of these cars. I am paid to make sure that these cars run. I do not have time to worry about listening to drivers complain about everything outside of automotive and I do not have time to be the excuse for a driver whacking some OT from the company. I come to work, do my job and go home.

Incongruity

Banned
Is there a special training received by management? UPS has been a great place to work at. But, these last two years it has been as if management wants to get rid of people. I don't know, even the supervisors I got along with, and were congruent with one on other, started to have a more hostile attitude. I dont know the atmosphere feels discordant. Is the same way in your place or is it just mine?

yes we are all brainwashed into believing our brainwashing is less then other guys.

deleted9

no longer "end of story"

Its still "end of story" if you can justify your decision if it comes to that, if anything you will be told you should have done it a different way, not making a decision could cause you more problems than making the wrong one. Three things i would analyze when making a decision 1) Safety
2) Service and 3) Cost...... Keep it safe, make service, lowest possible cost.

Incongruity

Banned
Good post interesting analogy. I think perhaps the tolerance for non-optimal decisions has never been there.
In the past you could be forgiven if you learned from your mistakes?
is there forgiveness in todays world?

Blizzard,
Forgiveness is available to everyone.
Sincerely,
I

Blizzard foregiveness is not available to everyone, it must be earned.
Effort and intent value the forgiveness available.
forgive my younger brother for his weak answer.
sincerely the real

I

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Blizzard foregiveness is not available to everyone, it must be earned.
Effort and intent value the forgiveness available.
forgive my younger brother for his weak answer.
sincerely the real

I

First thought was about Jesus.
I'm not "Born again" or a huge religious person, but my mind went there first and that is probably a good thing.

Happy Easter to all!!

Integrity

Binge Poster
First thought was about Jesus.
I'm not "Born again" or a huge religious person, but my mind went there first and that is probably a good thing.

Happy Easter to all!!

fxdwg,
Not a good thing, but a great thing. According to the Christian faith belief in Jesus is the only way to receive the forgiveness necessary to save a soul.

God the Father offers forgiveness to all mankind through His son Jesus.

According to the Holy Bible, His spilled blood and broken body were a sacrifice for forgiveness of sins for all men who choose to believe.

His bodily resurrection on Easter morning fulfilled what was written in the Holy Scriptures.

Anyone can choose to believe.

Thanks for the Happy Easter and Happy Easter to you!
Sincerely,
I

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If I can make a judgement based on the number of posts you make here and the venom behind them it appears management has actually been managing you to point where you vent here?

There isnt any "venom" in my posts. I simply express the truth as I see it. The truth often hurts.

This is a pretty good job to have, and I am grateful to have it. My frustration is in the wasted potential, and in the fact that as employees we are often held to standards that could not possibly be lived up to by those who are trying to hold us accountable to them.

I want what is best for UPS. Most management people I know also want what is best for UPS. We just have different perspectives on what "the best" might be and on how to get there.

Blizzard

There isnt any "venom" in my posts. I simply express the truth as I see it. The truth often hurts.

This is a pretty good job to have, and I am grateful to have it. My frustration is in the wasted potential, and in the fact that as employees we are often held to standards that could not possibly be lived up to by those who are trying to hold us accountable to them.

I want what is best for UPS. Most management people I know also want what is best for UPS. We just have different perspectives on what "the best" might be and on how to get there.

I would have never thought I would ever get such a positive answer out of you after so many negative posts here?

Omega man

Unfortunately the current hostile work environment has turned many people into disgruntled employees. Many who used to go above and beyond their job descriptions to try to help UPS function daily will no longer do anything more than their job. UPS upper management has implemented these hurtful policies in the false belief that it will help their corporation stay as profitable as before. They couldn't be more wrong. These policies will hurt UPS for decades, as workers will be hard pressed to forgive and forget. An operation that is run FUBAR daily with all its associated problems will only function even worse without our willful help.

Incongruity

Banned
woe is me and me is woe
treated like a three dollar hoe
I think I'm hurting feeling the pain
200 stops over 95 again
I blame the corporation feeling so low
blame the ties who now wear polo's.
I remember back to when this job seemed so cool
when i signed up for prostitute school
give it to me baby i said with glee
I'll do what you want I want the money.
use me abuse me slap me around
pay me the dough I deliver the town
don't need no love don't need no foreplay
I'm selling my soul for delivery pay
And then one day my knees started to wear
shoulder gone , ligaments started to tear
old and decrepit my body too sore
how did i end up being the brown whore.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would have never thought I would ever get such a positive answer out of you after so many negative posts here?

You confuse "negative" with "critical".

Just because someone disagrees with UPS corporate policy, or calls attention to flaws and problems, does not mean they are "negative".