Is the healthcare enrollment automatic at retirement?

Automaton

I'm looking at the retirement benefit request form, and there's nothing spelled out about healthcare. Do I have to file separately for that, or does coverage just continue when my pension kicks in?

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
I can tell you that here in the West, NorCal specifically, it wasn't automatic. Lots of paperwork had to be filled out through the pension office. Part of that paperwork was that even though I was still staying with Kaiser coverage, I had to re-enroll as if I were a new customer. And, if you didn't get enrolled within a certain period, I can't remember exactly but I think it was 60 days, you were screwed. Now, my healthcare isn't through UPS or even the Teamsters as a whole, we have a special plan through the local where we pay nothing for retiree medical or dental coverage. We basically prepaid while we were still working with a wage deduction. So I'd imagine like with all things UPS, it depends on where you are. With something this important, most definitely contact the union and find out information specific to your situation rather than listen to random answers you'll get here.

Automaton

I can tell you that here in the West, NorCal specifically, it wasn't automatic. Lots of paperwork had to be filled out through the pension office. Part of that paperwork was that even though I was still staying with Kaiser coverage, I had to re-enroll as if I were a new customer. And, if you didn't get enrolled within a certain period, I can't remember exactly but I think it was 60 days, you were screwed. Now, my healthcare isn't through UPS or even the Teamsters as a whole, we have a special plan through the local where we pay nothing for retiree medical or dental coverage. We basically prepaid while we were still working with a wage deduction. So I'd imagine like with all things UPS, it depends on where you are. With something this important, most definitely contact the union and find out information specific to your situation rather than listen to random answers you'll get here.
Thanks. I'm assuming I will still be in teamcare after I retire. I looked all over the UPSers site and couldn't find anything helpful.

tourists24

I retired two years ago. When I put in for my paperwork and it arrived, I had to choose what to do about my health insurance options (single, married w/spousal coverage, or none). Now I'm in the Atlantic supplement area so other places may be different. My coverage started the day I retired and everything remained on myteamcare.org; it simply went from a full time worker plan to the retirement coverage.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If you are under 65, you will go on Teamcare Retiree Insurance at a cost of $200 month a person. This will come out of your pension check. I think I did fill out a paper they mailed to me to start this. At 65, you automatically go on Medicare and it comes of your Social Security check if you are already taking that. Like anything else, all this depends on where you live and what plan you fall under. Don't ask here, call your insurance benefits person at your Local for the correct information.