Is The US Making The Same Mistake As Japan Did in 1941?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
In 1941 Japan felt it had no choice than attack Pearl Harbor after Roosevelt froze all of Japan's assets and oil which accounted for 90% of all oil imported to Japan from US in response to Japanese expansion and attacks on China and South East Asia.

Now history seems to repeating itself. The US and Nato is punishing Russia by wide scale sanctions due to their attack on Ukraine.

Russia feels cornered......

Not saying what is right or wrong here but I see the similarities from 1941 and now.

vantexan

In 1941 Japan felt it had no choice than attack Pearl Harbor after Roosevelt froze all of Japan's assets and oil which accounted for 90% of all oil imported to Japan from US in response to Japanese expansion and attacks on China and South East Asia.

Now history seems to repeating itself. The US and Nato is punishing Russia by wide scale sanctions due to their attack on Ukraine.

Not saying what is right or wrong here but I see the similarities from 1941 and now.
I don't see Russia as the war machine Japan or Germany were in WWII. They have nukes, that's it. Got totally exposed by the Ukrainians. Only China half heartedly supports them. Germany had multiple countries supporting them including Japan. And Russia just doesn't have the manufacturing to sustain a war effort.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I don't see Russia as the war machine Japan or Germany were in WWII. They have nukes, that's it. Got totally exposed by the Ukrainians. Only China half heartedly supports them. Germany had multiple countries supporting them including Japan. And Russia just doesn't have the manufacturing to sustain a war effort.
6300 nukes say otherwise

BigGuy2732

The Axis were the actual good guys. Russia is just run by an old school autocrat who doesn’t get along with globohomo. I meme about support for Putin but it’s not serious beyond a hatred of the American regime.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Russia has some serious supply chain issues to correct for their military equipment.
Attacking the country that makes a lot of their spare parts was not planned out well.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Japan needed raw materials and oil in 1941.
What they hoped to achieve was quick victory by removing the US Fleet and having the USA sue for peace.
Their error was that it didn't work out as planned.
They were not prepared for a long drawn out conflict.
Putin knows whoever uses nukes first will lose everything.
He wants to rebuild Russia , not turn it into a wasteland.

rickyb

ive never heard that. but i heard the comparison between cuban missile crisis and NATO encircling russia.

UnionStrong

ive never heard that. but i heard the comparison between cuban missile crisis and NATO encircling russia.
Well it’s true. And the Cuban missile crisis was very different. Nuclear missiles 90 miles off Florida and 5 minutes away from DC is a little bit more serious.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
The Cuban missile crisis was a result of the United States having missiles in Turkey aimed at the then USSR.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

The US is far from a bunch of angels.

vantexan

Russia has some serious supply chain issues to correct for their military equipment.
Attacking the country that makes a lot of their spare parts was not planned out well.
You know how we're having supply chain issues with computer chips? There's a shortage of new cars because manufacturers need chips. Turns out computer chips are made with lasers. And lasers require neon. Guess who produces about half the world's neon? Two companies in Ukraine. So unless we come up with an alternative supply of neon we'll continue to see a lack of new cars for years.

UnionStrong

You know how we're having supply chain issues with computer chips? There's a shortage of new cars because manufacturers need chips. Turns out computer chips are made with lasers. And lasers require neon. Guess who produces about half the world's neon? Two companies in Ukraine. So unless we come up with an alternative supply of neon we'll continue to see a lack of new cars for years.
Then let’s plant some neon trees. Right next to the money tree and electricity tree. Just throw some unicorn :censored2: on them for fertilizer.

vantexan

Then let’s plant some neon trees. Right next to the money tree and electricity tree. Just throw some unicorn :censored2: on them for fertilizer.
You do realize this is a legitimate concern? I was surprised to learn when I lived in the Texas Panhandle that most of the world's helium is produced there. Besides making you sound funny it has industrial uses. So not surprising to find out a needed commodity has few sources. Our supply chain problems are more than just ships waiting to be unloaded. Sort of like China producing much of the world's rare earth metals.

El Correcto

god is dead

The real question is “Are the Russians making the same mistake Japan did in 1941”
Pissing off America didn’t work out so well for Japan. If I recall correctly our ancestors went all “I am become death destroyer of worlds” on Japan’s ass and they are still sucking America’s dick to this day.