Is there a push to save fuel?

RedThunder

I have a question about air drivers being used to shuttle ground packages. I was a driver for 20 years before i bid on a 22.3 job about a year and a half ago.

Now i work the preload for 4 hours and after the sort i I deliver air. I also take out bulk stops and meet drivers with those if they won't fit on the package car. These are mostly ground. I also shuttle misloads, ground, air, whatever between drivers for the rest of my day.

Now on the sort i make a higher wage than i do as an air driver. ($22.50 as air driver). After i finish air deliveries, i code all the time i spend shuttling as wash, so i get the higher wage that i make working on the sort. Should i be receiving the package drivers rate for the time i am shuttling these ground packages between drivers? I do this approx. 3-4 hours per day.

Mike Hawk

I have a question about air drivers being used to shuttle ground packages. I was a driver for 20 years before i bid on a 22.3 job about a year and a half ago.

Now i work the preload for 4 hours and after the sort i I deliver air. I also take out bulk stops and meet drivers with those if they won't fit on the package car. These are mostly ground. I also shuttle misloads, ground, air, whatever between drivers for the rest of my day.

Now on the sort i make a higher wage than i do as an air driver. ($22.50 as air driver). After i finish air deliveries, i code all the time i spend shuttling as wash, so i get the higher wage that i make working on the sort. Should i be receiving the package drivers rate for the time i am shuttling these ground packages between drivers? I do this approx. 3-4 hours per day.
Yes, you get top driver rate for touching ground.

RedThunder

Well, i wonder if i should file?

It's a real small rural center. Only 16-18 routes a day. It's the easiest job i've ever had at ups. Hours are 5am to 1 pm monday through friday. I would hate to muck that up for $15 a day difference before taxes.

outamyway

Well, i wonder if i should file?

It's a real small rural center. Only 16-18 routes a day. It's the easiest job i've ever had at ups. Hours are 5am to 1 pm monday through friday. I would hate to muck that up for $15 a day difference before taxes.

Yes you should be getting top rate driver pay(it's $28.15 here)for the WHOLE day, including preload time.

It is your right to file but you will likely stir up a lot of :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: if you do. $22 an hour,8 hours a day, 40 hours a week, seems like a pretty good gig to me.

Also, there is a code for shuttling, it's on the last page of the codes list in the other work section. I'd hate for them to fire you because you're on road washing cars.

RedThunder

Yeah, thats what i'm thinking. Plus it's $22.50 only for the 45 minutes or so i drive air and $24.31 for the other 7.5 hours. Maybe best to just leave this one alone. Thanks.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Before I went on vacation they posted a chart on which they will post the miles that each area runs on each day. They have established a base line mileage figure for each area and will track the mileage each day with the hope that we will in turn work to reduce our mileage. The only problem is the base line figures, at least for my area, are low (45) as I average 55 to 60 each day (depending on whether I go for ice cream or not). I will be curious as to whether this chart is still being used and what the reaction has been to it when I go back to work.

New Englander

Yeah, thats what i'm thinking. Plus it's $22.50 only for the 45 minutes or so i drive air and $24.31 for the other 7.5 hours. Maybe best to just leave this one alone. Thanks.

I'd file. Then when Management is out shuttling the ground, I'd file again.

At some point they will fix the problem. If not - your going to get ground rate for the easiest 8 hours at UPS.

I often wonder why we worry about the back lash of filing over something thats black and white. We seem to always forget - The Teamsters AND UPS agreed to the contract language. It's written right there.

New Englander

While they may indeed have agreed to the contract language, do you think they did it happily or was it perhaps a trade-off (contract concession) for another portion of the contract?

Absolutely there were. I'm only talking about the "feeling" we all have about filing. As if it makes us dirty or is the wrong thing to do.

Ultimately both sides agreed to what was written.

If I was a 22.3 that had all overtime eliminated, then they wanted me to shuttle ground misloads about - I'm getting the ground rate. If they didn't like it and went back to management running them out in their personal cars - I'm getting ground rate on those days as well.

upsdude

Question..............

If a sup (or hourly) is moving packages in their personal car, is that a DOT violation? What if the person doesn't have a DOT card?

Not starting a fight, just a question.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Good question and one that I don't have the answer to. There have been times when I have done this and this thought never entered my mind. For example, I have come back off the road only to find a left in building for an address near my house. I will offer to deliver it on my way home and I then call the OMS to let them know where I left it and to adjust my punch out time accordingly.

upsdude

Good question and one that I don't have the answer to. There have been times when I have done this and this thought never entered my mind. For example, I have come back off the road only to find a left in building for an address near my house. I will offer to deliver it on my way home and I then call the OMS to let them know where I left it and to adjust my punch out time accordingly.

I've done that myself, no one asked, I offered.

Again, not trying to start anything, just wondering.

Here’s a scenario to think about. You me or anyone else is driving our POV with a package to be dropped off somewhere. We have an accident with serious injuries to ourselves or the other party. Imagine the can of worms those in the legal profession will open.

New Englander

I've done that myself, no one asked, I offered.

Again, not trying to start anything, just wondering.

Here’s a scenario to think about. You me or anyone else is driving our POV with a package to be dropped off somewhere. We have an accident with serious injuries to ourselves or the other party. Imagine the can of worms those in the legal profession will open.

It would fall back to UPS. You were on the clock and doing bargaining work.

Not that it's going to be a fun thing to deal with but in the end I've got to think thats what it will come down to.

Same if a manager is doing an on area in their personal car and the same thing happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander
We seem to always forget - The Teamsters AND UPS agreed to the contract language. It's written right there.

While they may indeed have agreed to the contract language, do you think they did it happily or was it perhaps a trade-off (contract concession) for another portion of the contract?

New England is correct this time. It's irrelevant if either party as happy bout the "trade offs", the fact IS both parties signed. They are going to hold the hourlies accountable for things we don't like about the contract, we have the right (if not obligation) to hold them accountable also.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yes you should be getting top rate driver pay(it's $28.15 here)for the WHOLE day, including preload time.

It is your right to file but you will likely stir up a lot of :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: if you do. $22 an hour,8 hours a day, 40 hours a week, seems like a pretty good gig to me.

Also, there is a code for shuttling, it's on the last page of the codes list in the other work section. I'd hate for them to fire you because you're on road washing cars.

AMEN!!! Outamyway hit it on the head. Sounds to me like employees are being instructed to falsify records. Surely "wash" cannot be equated as "shuttle" work. The 22/3 guy should file for top pay and a full time driver should file as well, at time and a half for time spent by the 22/3 guy working outside of his classification.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander
We seem to always forget - The Teamsters AND UPS agreed to the contract language. It's written right there.

New England is correct this time. It's irrelevant if either party as happy bout the "trade offs", the fact IS both parties signed. They are going to hold the hourlies accountable for things we don't like about the contract, we have the right (if not obligation) to hold them accountable also.

AMEN again!!!

outamyway

AMEN!!! Outamyway hit it on the head. Sounds to me like employees are being instructed to falsify records. Surely "wash" cannot be equated as "shuttle" work. The 22/3 guy should file for top pay and a full time driver should file as well, at time and a half for time spent by the 22/3 guy working outside of his classification.

The point I was trying to make is, if he starts filing grievances, they may decide he is a liability at UPS. They may try to find dirt on him and send him out the door. This has been happening at our building for some time. The union here is weak. I won't go into details.

If they check back and find out he has been coding his on road time as preload time, which is the higher rate for him, they could easily say he is falsifying his time and could decide to terminate him. Whether a supervisor told him to do this or not is irrelevant. Do you think the sup that told him to do it, if that is the case, would defend him if the sup was confronted about it?

I think not.

New Englander

The point I was trying to make is, if he starts filing grievances, they may decide he is a liability at UPS. They may try to find dirt on him and send him out the door. This has been happening at our building for some time. The union here is weak. I won't go into details.

If they check back and find out he has been coding his on road time as preload time, which is the higher rate for him, they could easily say he is falsifying his time and could decide to terminate him. Whether a supervisor told him to do this or not is irrelevant. Do you think the sup that told him to do it, if that is the case, would defend him if the sup was confronted about it?

I think not.

It's not really that hard to do our job correctly and not worry some one is going to find "dirt" on us. Unless it's a cardinal sin he isn't going to get fired the first time. It's got to be documented. That is a perfect wake up call to fix the problem as an employee.

Trust me....your Union isn't that weak. I think it's more of a personal desire not to file. We all get that feeling. Though it is in his right to file and honestly I'd be telling them if I'm running ground misloads for you I need to get ground pay.