Is there a push to save fuel?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Air drivers can deliver 2day too. They just can't deliver ground, but our air drivers shuttle ground to driver. They shuttle air and ground together. They also shuttle misloads.

Common misconception. To a full time driver a 2nd day air pkg (2nd day AM excluded) are no different than a ground package. They carry no time commit and require no extra attention. They are therefore not an exception pkg and management has no valid claim to use air drivers to service these pkgs.

I know it is common place for these part timers to used outside their contractual limitations. It will continue as long it is profitable to do so. It will become unprofitable when grievances are paid at time and a half over and above the wages paid to the part timer. Also to you part timers doing this work, you are untitled to full time top scale rate when you work outside of your classification.

Grieve it, grieve it, grieve it....!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Wouldn't you rather see your union brothers/sisters get the work than a sup?
I mean really..ups isn't going to change how they operate. If you grieve them using air drivers..they will just do it themselves.

Oh but wait..what do you have to lose right? You can grieve that too and get paid.

Oh..and "cost ineffective"??? Surely you jest..what the **** does ups do that isn't cost ineffective???

Supervisors working is grievable at double time. I see that, I grieve that too. UPS will and does change how it operates and that is dictated by the bottom line. Standing by the water cooler whining wont change things but grievance settlements and awards will. Labor charges after grievances are on record will. Maybe not "overnight" but in time with persistence and solidarity things can and will change.

Article 40. A part time air exception driver is ONLY allowed to make service on air packages that the full time driver cannot service due to time commitments. An example would be I have 20 air stops and can only make 15 by 10:30. The extra 5 are exceptions and can be delivered by part time exception air drivers. Shuttling misloads, bulk stops, PLIB's, etc. are blatant contractual violations and should not be tolerated. As a full time driver that waited 8 yrs for my chance, I simply will not tolerate this in my center. I file whenever I see it happen.

UPS supposedly negotiates our contracts in good faith then operate like it is printed on toilet paper.

Article 40
Air Operation
Section 6. Wages​
All hourly wages for employees covered under Article 40 will be determined in accordance with this
Section, Article 22 and Article 41 where specified.
a. Part-time air drivers including exception air drivers will be paid as follows:
Start $11.50
Seniority $12.50
Seniority Date plus 12 months $13.00
Seniority Date plus 18 months $13.50
Seniority Date plus 24 months Top Rate
1.​
Effective August 1, 2008, the prior $20.62 twenty-four (24) month (top) rate will change on August
1st
and February 1st of each year of the Agreement to reflect the agreed upon general wage
increases.
, as follows:
August 1, 2002 $16.25
August 1, 2003 $17.00
August 1, 2004 $17.80
August 1, 2005 $18.60
August 1, 2006 $19.50
August 1, 2007 $20.50
2. All part-time bid air drivers in progression on August 1, 2002 will be slotted into the new progression
in paragraph a. above. Seniority part-time employees entering a part-time air driver job after August 1,
the effective date of this Agreement will begin at the seniority rate.
Part-time employees who are awarded a scheduled part time air driver job shall receive progression
credit in accordance with the following: for each four (4) days on which exception air work was
performed in the two (2) years immediately prior to the bid award, one (1) month of progression credit
shall be granted. In addition, if a bid part-time air driver is displaced, he will retain his/her progression
credit under paragraph a. for any air exception work. Seniority part-time employees entering a part-time
air driver job after August 1, 2002 will begin at the seniority rate.
b. Full-time air drivers will be paid as follows:
Start $13.50
Seniority $14.50
Seniority Date plus 12 months $15.00
Seniority Date plus 18 months $15.50
Seniority Date plus 24 months Top rate
Effective August 1, 2008, the prior $22.62 twenty-four (24) month (top) rate will change on August
1st
and February 1st of each year of the Agreement to reflect the agreed upon general wage
increases.
as follows:
August 1, 2002 $18.25
August 1, 2003 $19.00
August 1, 2004 $19.80
August 1, 2005 $20.60
August 1, 2006 $21.50
August 1, 2007 $22.50
2. All full-time air drivers in progression on August 1, 2002
the effective date of this Agreement will
be slotted into the full-time progression in paragraph b. above. Seniority full-time employees entering a
full-time air driver job will be slotted based on their Company seniority.

c.​
All new hire full-time or part-time air drivers will be placed in the applicable progression in
paragraphs a. or b. above.
d. All current full-time or part-time air drivers who are out of progression shall receive the general wage
increases provided for
in accordance with the split dates provided in Article 41 on each contract
anniversary date, or the Top Rate provided in paragraphs a. or b. above, whichever is greater.

e.​
Employees in existing or newly created less-than-eight hour combination jobs shall be paid the parttime
air rate in accordance with paragraph a. above for air driver work and their normal part-time wages
for the hours worked in other classifications in accordance with Article 22.

friend.​
Employees who are in existing full-time combination jobs or who hereafter enter a full-time
combination job shall be paid the appropriate full-time air rate for air driver work and appropriate inside
part-time rate for the hours worked in other classifications. If an employee has no established inside
rate, that employee will be paid the appropriate part-time rate in accordance with his Company seniority.

g.​
Employees on the exception air driver list shall continue to be slotted into the part-time air driver
progression in paragraph a. above based upon the length of time the employee has been performing air
exception work. Seniority employees who begin performing air exception work will start at the
seniority rate. New part-time employees signing up to perform air exception work will receive the start
rate in paragraph a) above until they gain seniority.

h.​
Part-time air hub and gateway employees and air walkers shall be paid at the all other rate of pay as
shown in Article 22. However, if a part-time employee is awarded an air walker job he/she shall
continue to receive his/her inside rate in accordance with Article 22. Full-time air hub and gateway jobs
shall be paid in accordance with Article 41, Section 3 unless there is an existing agreement under Article
40, Section 3 expressly providing a pay rate for such a classification.
i. Air operation employees who are covered by a daily guarantee shall receive the same rest period
provisions as outlined in the appropriate Supplement, Rider or Addendum.

Where does it say that here?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
1989 you have listed sec 6 of article 40 which deals with wages. Article 40 is not a short or an easy read. I urge you to start at sec 1 and read it slow in order to separate the does from the don'ts. There are some differences in the restrictions in delivering verses making pickups. I maintain my assertion that air drivers and supervisors are not allowed to deliver and or shuttle any pkgs that are not exception air pkgs and when they do we need to grieve.

bellesotico

BOXstar
Section 1. Air Drivers
(a) Air driver work shall consist of delivery and pickup of air packages which, because of time and customer commitments, cannot be reasonably performed by regular package drivers. Such work may include:
(1) Delivery of air packages which the regular delivery drivers cannot deliver within guaranteed time commitments.
(2) Delivery of air packages arriving at the facility after regular drivers have been dispatched.
(3) Delivery and pickup of air packages on weekends and holidays.
(4) On call air pickups.
(5) Pickup at air counters and drop boxes.
(6) Additional late air pickups.
(7) Air drivers may, on an exception basis, be used to make service on packages which are not air packages.
An exception package is intended to be when an Air Driver is making a pickup, as outlined above, after the regular driver has been at the customer�s premises, and the customer has an exception ground package(s) for shipment, the air driver may make service on this package(s). Air drivers may continue to pick up Automatic Return Service packages but the features of this service will not be expanded.
Any violation of Section 1(a)(7), shall obligate the Employer to pay the Air Driver involved the difference between his/her rate of pay and the top regular package car driver wage rate existing at that building. Grievances concerning violation or abuse of this shall be referred directly to the National Air Committee.
(8) Delivery of early AM Packages.
(9) Movement of air packages to airports and other locations such as service centers, UPS buildings and driver meet points. Shuttle work currently performed by regular full-time drivers shall be excluded. Should a regular full-time driver vacate a position which includes air shuttle work, that job shall either be rebid as it previously existed and continue to be paid at the regular driver rate or the air shuttle work may be combined with other air work to create one (1) or more full-time air or full-time combination job(s) paid in accordance with Section 6 below. In no event shall such shuttle work be assigned to a part-time air driver.
Shuttle work currently being performed by part-time air drivers shall be converted to full-time air driver work when the driver vacates the job except when there is not enough work available to create a full-time job.

Ok..maybe I'm not reading this right...and maybe I'm way off..so if I am, someone please correct me, but what I highlighted in the bold clearly shows that a grievance leads to proper reimbursement..ft driver pay as listed in the wage section.

and-

if you could grieve an air driver essentially working as directed...wouldn't that be a lateral move? Like grieving another teamster? Isn't that a no-no?

Seriously..just curious.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Bellescotico here it is in a nut shell. The grievance is not against the air driver ( a fellow teamster ). It is against management who directed him or her to perform the work outside of their classification. You are bringing no reproach toward the air driver who is simply working as directed. As far as the pay, that air driver is entitled to top scale driver pay for the time they work outside their classification. They should ask to paid accordingly and should grieve it if they don't receive the appropriate pay rate.

Work as directed now, grieve later.

bellesotico

BOXstar
Bellescotico here it is in a nut shell. The grievance is not against the air driver ( a fellow teamster ). It is against management who directed him or her to perform the work outside of their classification. You are bringing no reproach toward the air driver who is simply working as directed. As far as the pay, that air driver is entitled to top scale driver pay for the time they work outside their classification. They should ask to paid accordingly and should grieve it if they don't receive the appropriate pay rate.

Work as directed now, grieve later.

Alright thanks for clearing that up.

1989 you have listed sec 6 of article 40 which deals with wages. Article 40 is not a short or an easy read. I urge you to start at sec 1 and read it slow in order to separate the does from the don'ts. There are some differences in the restrictions in delivering verses making pickups. I maintain my assertion that air drivers and supervisors are not allowed to deliver and or shuttle any pkgs that are not exception air pkgs and when they do we need to grieve.

Thanks, I see, all I have is section 6 of article 40 for some reason.

rod

Retired 22 years
Supervisors working is grievable at double time. I see that, I grieve that too. UPS will and does change how it operates and that is dictated by the bottom line. Standing by the water cooler whining wont change things but grievance settlements and awards will. Labor charges after grievances are on record will. Maybe not "overnight" but in time with persistence and solidarity things can and will change.

I totally agree with this but I will add that when new management comes in you probably have to start at ground zero all over again:wink2:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I totally agree with this but I will add that when new management comes in you probably have to start at ground zero all over again:wink2:

That's just it. If it is just me, a select few, if this premise is the exception rather than the rule, then it will be a viscous circle. Our strength has to come from unity. The belief that things can't change at UPS is indicative to the absence of the spirit that made this country great and conceived the principles of organized labor. There was a great parable that I think proves that change can happen at UPS. The trick is convincing management that changes are necessary. Here it is. Maybe this happened at your building.

For my first 20 yrs. at UPS when entering or exiting the building I simply walked in or out of the 4 huge overhead doors. I'd walk across the parking lot from whatever point to the guard shack and out to the parking lot. This was what everybody did.
Due to what I am sure was a tragic accident somewhere, management mandated that nobody was to exit through overhead doors. We were to only exit through the pedestrian doors. Nobody was to be in the yard without the safety vest and other safety related items. This was viewed with scepticism and contempt by most and treated as the usual "flavor of the week". It wasn't long before my co-workers and myself found out that this was real and was here to stay. Constant reminders and several warning letters to a select few later have the present day to the point that you do not see anybody crossing under those overhead doors anymore. It is no longer questioned. This policy is the way it is.

The moral to the story is that when properly motivated, whether it be safety or contractual obligations, change is possible. If we all act in concert to enforce the contract, things can change. For management the bottom line is dictated by the bottom line. Make them pay and things will change.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The moral to the story is that when properly motivated, whether it be safety or contractual obligations, change is possible.[ /quote]

Where do you think your rear view camera came from? Do you think UPS suddenly thought that we would be safer if we had these installed on our package cars? No, UPS is reactive, not proactive, when it comes to implementing safety changes, and the cameras were no exception as they were installed due to the tragic loss of a young life.

Aren't the package car routes designed with as many right turns in them as possible so that you don't spend so much time sitting at a stop sign? I remember hearing this on the news a few months back.

H

hseofpayne

Aren't the package car routes designed with as many right turns in them as possible so that you don't spend so much time sitting at a stop sign? I remember hearing this on the news a few months back.
Yeah, I had a girl call me while playing Trivia asking me "which way do UPS drivers turn?" Seems it has made its way into board games, too.

RDF_Airhub

I know on the ramp we have been pushed hard to shut everything off if its not moving. I would think the easiest way to save some fuel would be to tell the fueling guy to watch whats hes doing. He just fills it up till it over flows, goes to the next one. Gas is all over the sides of our vehicles and all over the ground. dont know how many gallons a week he must waste.

bad company

semi-pro
We have a cheesy board with the "5 Keys to Scratching a Route" posted, and one of the 5 keys is to "Drive aggressively up to the posted speed limit". So the other day, I confronted a supervisor and asked him if he would rather have me save some fuel by not accelerating so hard (per the 5 keys to scratching) or have me run scratch. He told me it was cheaper to pay for the extra fuel than to pay my overtime...

So I guess it varies?

Last edited:

brownrodster

I'd be surprised if there were people who actually left their truck idling while they made a delivery!!! I have never done that before.

I've always liked to find one park position to make multiple stops from (part of the diad training)