Is there a union recourse to refuse more work?

O

OLDMAN3

I do believe you're wrong. At least in my local, to get away with that, the person who's route you were on ALSO needed to be on the 9.5 list.

I still haven't been able to get a copy of the new contract yet, so I can't verify it, but I'm pretty sure you're wrong
You can read/search the contract online here:

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/2013-2018_UPS_Master_Agreement-FINAL.pdf

Management is trying to kill 9.5 grievances by spreading the lie that cover drivers with less than 4 years can not file for 9.5 protection. If you have less than 4 years in and are a cover driver you can still file a 9.5 as long as you cover a route for a week.
Read the contract yourself. Here is the applicable wording; notice the word is OR; not AND:

Article 37...
Employees within the full-time driver classification shall be eligible for the protection of this Section provided: (1) the employee covers a route for a full week; (2) the employee bids or is assigned to cover a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the Employer; or (3) an employee with four (4) years of seniority as a full-time package driver.

Last edited by a moderator:

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/2013-2018_UPS_Master_Agreement-FINAL.pdf

Management is trying to kill 9.5 grievances by spreading the lie that cover drivers with less than 4 years can not file for 9.5 protection. If you have less than 4 years in and are a cover driver you can still file a 9.5 as long as you cover a route for a week.
Read the contract yourself. Here is the applicable wording; notice the word is OR; not AND:

Article 37...
Employees within the full-time driver classification shall be eligible for the protection of this Section provided: (1) the employee covers a route for a full week; (2) the employee bids or is assigned to cover a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the Employer; or (3) an employee with four (4) years of seniority as a full-time package driver.

Great to know. I'll get on the 9.5 list in feeders. Thanks for the heads up.

My center would hardly ever let us cover guys run a route for a full week, so it didn't matter.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Article 37...
It says in the last sentence you need to have 4 years seniority to have 9.5 protection.....why do you keep saying thats not true......is there some loophole im not seeing?

O

OLDMAN3

It says in the last sentence you need to have 4 years seniority to have 9.5 protection.....why do you keep saying thats not true......is there some loophole im not seeing?
The way the contract is worded you are eligible for 9.5 protection if...
1: You cover a route for a full week.
2: You were supposed to cover a route for a full week but were moved off of it.
OR
3: You are a 4+ year driver

Since the word used is OR; if any of the three are true you have 9.5 protection.
If the contractual language stated AND instead of OR, you would have to fulfill condition #3 in all circumstances.

So newbie cover drivers have protection if they are on, or should have been on, a route for an entire week.
Cover drivers with 4+ years have 9.5 protection without the condition of being on the route for an entire week.

...wednesday I was able to enact some of the advice. Done with the same split route of about 135 stops around 5 that day. Green light, call the center. I call and sup says go help another. I say sure, after the rest of my lunch and my breaks. So not moving till 6.

By the time I got to the meet point (it was near a mall at 6 p.m. rush hour) The other driver only had 5 stops to give me. To maneuver through all that mall traffic, go and deliver in the dark and snowbanks, then drive back, UPS basically paid me an hour and a half of overtime to deliver 5 stops. Next day I was not asked to help anyone.
I'm glad it worked out for you. Now remember that and do it every day from now until you retire. It's a real shame that UPS punishes those with good work ethics and forces them to have to "modify" those ethics to avoid more work. I was abused for about 2 years before I learned what you just learned. Slow and steady wins the race my friend.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Lettice...

Can I buy a vowel, Pat?
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1423366510.426855.jpg

Sent using a Potato

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

The way the contract is worded you are eligible for 9.5 protection if...
1: You cover a route for a full week.
2: You were supposed to cover a route for a full week but were moved off of it.
OR
3: You are a 4+ year driver

Since the word used is OR; if any of the three are true you have 9.5 protection.
If the contractual language stated AND instead of OR, you would have to fulfill condition #3 in all circumstances.

So newbie cover drivers have protection if they are on, or should have been on, a route for an entire week.
Cover drivers with 4+ years have 9.5 protection without the condition of being on the route for an entire week.
So I can file if I'm on a different route everyday as long as a work 10 hours each of the days......because of the word or.......I have more than 4 years seniority

By The Book

So I can file if I'm on a different route everyday as long as a work 10 hours each of the days......because of the word or.......I have more than 4 years seniority
If you have 4years seniority as a driver you qualify the first week that you work over 9.5 hours 3 days in a workweek. You are then on the list and can file the next week if you work a 3rd day over 9.5 hours in that week or any week up to the 5 months excluding November and December.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I don't mean to pick on you but the lack of knowledge of the English language online is making me sick.

Is there, their, and they're really that hard of a concept? How about too and to?

Know and no? Do and due? I thought these were things about any middle school kid should know.

Once again not aimed directly at you. Just something I have been noticing more and more of.
whats is you all talking bout???

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I is drunk toooo and its only 6 oclock on a sunday morning. their is to much work to do aromd heres too be drunking toooo much on a days of.

somes of these peoples might have English as a secomds langwich.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

If you have 4years seniority as a driver you qualify the first week that you work over 9.5 hours 3 days in a workweek. You are then on the list and can file the next week if you work a 3rd day over 9.5 hours in that week or any week up to the 5 months excluding November and December.
Morion said you don't need 4 years seniority because of the word or in art 37,he said all you need is one of the three either cover a route for a week,covering a route for a week and ups changes you or if you have 4 years seniority. I thought you need 4 years he said no you only need 1 of the 3 to qualify for protection....that's why I asked the question because I have 1 of the 3 I have 4 years seniority so that qualifies me under what he's saying

Boulevard859710

UPS rules, the hard workers get more work off the lazy driver's. So slow down find your groove so you are not there pack mule. Work safe that way they cant say anything to you. And if they due, say are you telling me to work unsafe!!!!!!
I think there are lackadaisical drivers out there who deliberately take their time knowing they'll get help.

By The Book

Morion said you don't need 4 years seniority because of the word or in art 37,he said all you need is one of the three either cover a route for a week,covering a route for a week and ups changes you or if you have 4 years seniority. I thought you need 4 years he said no you only need 1 of the 3 to qualify for protection....that's why I asked the question because I have 1 of the 3 I have 4 years seniority so that qualifies me under what he's saying
I read your post which I replied to coming to the conclusion you only had the 4 years seniority. That's why I only referenced the 4 year language, just for you. Your post starts out sounding like you think you can file if your on a different route everyday as long as you work 10 hours each day. I thought your post was a bit unclear. I hope my additional knowledge on the 4 year seniority helps to clarify this for you. Now that you are a driver with 4 years seniority you do know you don't have to worry about the other requirements right?