Is there any actual language on "occurrences?"

Lysandra

I called out Monday and Tuesday and now my sup is trying to hit me with 2 steps of discipline all at once.
I always thought that two consecutive days like that only counted as one "occurrence" and so you just get one discipline.
He's trying to say that since it is 2 call outs I get 2 steps in the discipline chain.

542thruNthru

I called out Monday and Tuesday and now my sup is trying to hit me with 2 steps of discipline all at once.
I always thought that two consecutive days like that only counted as one "occurrence" and so you just get one discipline.
He's trying to say that since it is 2 call outs I get 2 steps in the discipline chain.

Where are you?

Lysandra

When you were disciplined what did your steward tell you?

He did not seem sure about it.
He stayed quiet at first and it was only after I brought up the occurrence thing that he started defending it.
The sup didn't seem to believe us and said he needed to check on this and get back tomorrow.
When I clocked out they were still in the office debating it.
So I have a feeling this is going to come up tomorrow and need to be prepared to deal with it.

When the sup originally pulled me into the office he had one paper for a warning letter and one paper for a suspension, and even said "we're doing the warning letter one today and the suspension one tomorrow since we can't do both in one day."
Makes no sense.

542thruNthru

He stayed quiet at first and it was only after I brought up the occurrence thing that he started defending it.
The sup didn't seem to believe us and said he needed to check on this and get back tomorrow.
So I have a feeling this is going to come up tomorrow and need to be prepared to deal with it.

When the sup originally pulled me into the office he had one paper for a warning letter and one paper for a suspension, and even said "we're doing the warning letter one today and the suspension one tomorrow since we can't do both in one day."
Makes no sense.

Yeah that sounds very wrong to me. I'm not in the southern though. Here it has to be a documented talk with then a warning letter and so on.

Also here days in a row are counted as one occurrence.

If you get a suspension tomorrow. File a grievance ASAP. You may also want to contact your local and confirm with your BA on how the process works.

dogs.bite.me

Makes no sense.
If you called or 2 consecutive days , is one Occurrence. Grieve it.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
First step of discipline is “written warning letter”, second is “suspension letter”, third is “termination letter”. A “verbal warning” is not contractually necessary and is solely at the behest of your management.

in regards to your “occurrence”, your call out regardless of the total amount of days, is still one occurrence. They can ask for a doctors note after 3 days but that’s besides the point.

At worst, you’re looking at a warning letter as long as this is your first disciplinary encounter.

With that said, my BA has routinely stated that they can do and say what ever they want, it just won’t stick.

542thruNthru

First step of discipline is “written warning letter”, second is “suspension letter”, third is “termination letter”. A “verbal warning” is not contractually necessary and is solely at the behest of your management.

in regards to your “occurrence”, your call out regardless of the total amount of days, is still one occurrence. They can ask for a doctors note after 3 days but that’s besides the point.

At worst, you’re looking at a warning letter as long as this is your first disciplinary encounter.

With that said, my BA has routinely stated that they can do and say what ever they want, it just won’t stick.
Absolutely true unless your area has a agreement.

Here in socal we have to be given a verbal warning for attendance before a warning letter.