Is this right?

Justaperson

I've been a P/T package handler at a UPS Hub for about a year now and I have a little issue thats been bugging me for a bit. I started out as a loader and I absolutely hated it. I would not have stayed if I was stuck as a loader so I got certified on the sort. When I gained seniority I switched to being a sorter which were in high demand at the time. This hub has had a staffing problem and the outbound is plagued by call ins and people quitting. As the low man on the sort and having come from the outbound myself, I was constantly sent halfway or before through sort to belts that were in bad shape to load since I had a login and experience. This was fine and I accepted it as I was the lowest on the chain. However they constantly hired more off the street sorters and still kept sending me to the outbound. One time I had gotten sick of going and asked my supervisor if I could call seniority on one of the 7 or so newer sorters and stay on the sort aisle instead. I got a stern "no" because I was the only sorter with "load experience" and if the outbound requests help from the front I have to go. This doesn't seem fair to me since unless another loader comes to the sort I will always be the only sorter with load experience and that won't change regardless of how many people I have seniority over. I'm not trying to be selfish because I do see why it makes sense to send me instead of a sorter with no clue what to do on the outbound but it just bothers me getting sent to horror belts day after day. Was the supervisor right when he told me that I can't call seniority on sorters with no load experience to stay on the sort?

ogrelord

Ground Down
it was my understanding that they could keep you out of your bid postion for 2 weeks, then you can file. even if you do file, i'm not sure it will be heard before peak is over. ask your union steward to say something. I'm in the southern region, so your contract might read differntly.

Kingpin13

this is exactly what union stewards are for bud

talk to him, he will know or be able to find out exactly how the contract reads...you are getting ****ed basically, hopefully the contract language will send you to the sort which is where you bidded up to

SnowCitizen

Article 3 Section 11 of the Central Supplement states "When a part-time employee must be temporarily moved off his/her job to another work area, it shall be by seniority, from those employees qualified and available, in the immediate work area."

I have also had issues with this, and I disagree with it, but there isn't much you can do about it.

If you aren't under the Central Supplement, your language may be different, but I would imagine it would be similar.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It sounds like some of your time might be being charged to the outbounds, thus the constant bouncing to there. sups seem to enjoy playing with numbers. Also, if you hated loading and got out of it with a deal, you can bet for sure they are going to play the game right back and use it to their advantage.

chev

Nightcrawler
Sometime it bites you in the butt to know too much. :wink2:
I always got stuck with covering the worst delivery trips because I knew them and they had no one else trained on them.

Dark_Team_135

Article 3 Section 11 of the Central Supplement states "When a part-time employee must be temporarily moved off his/her job to another work area, it shall be by seniority, from those employees qualified and available, in the immediate work area."

I have also had issues with this, and I disagree with it, but there isn't much you can do about it.

If you aren't under the Central Supplement, your language may be different, but I would imagine it would be similar.

I would tell the company the next time that they need to send lower seniority sorters to load so they can be trained. If not, I would file a grievance. Part time employees are allowed to take preferred jobs and what good would that do if you could just be moved off of it every time there was a need somewhere while junior employees are left doing your preferred job?

Until it was settled you could also work very methodically & safely when you are sent out to load. There are no production quotas at UPS ...Maybe they won't want to use you so much if you aren't killing yourself trying to make their bad planning work...

gandydancer

It sounds like some of your time might be being charged to the outbounds, thus the constant bouncing to there. sups seem to enjoy playing with numbers. Also, if you hated loading and got out of it with a deal, you can bet for sure they are going to play the game right back and use it to their advantage.

Didn't take a "deal". NM Article 22, section 4: "...Part-time employees with six (6) months or more seniority shall have the right to place their name on the list of employees waiting to be moved to a preferred job within their building. Such preferred jobs shall include, but not be limited to: Preload, Sorter, Clerical, Irregular Train, Designated Responder, Carwasher, Loader and Unloader. Employees do not have the right to select any specific unit, load or workstation unless a prior past practice has been established."

So Justaperson has a right to be a sorter.

But there's nothing in the contract that requires the company to train any sorter less senior than him to load. So for now he can be sent if they want to.

But if he knows the Safe Work Methods and uses them they won't want him loading. Takes too much time. Gives other loaders ideas. So, use load stands. Hand to surface. Clear your pathways. Build tight walls all the way up. Lock your walls into the ceiling ribs. No bags in walls. Pretty soon your sort supes won't be able to give you away. No takers.