Is this what happens to everyone in the beginning?

ChrisTheBrown

Ok..So today marks at least the third time now that this has happened, since I qualified as a cover driver 3 months ago..I've only drove probably 5 or 6 times since qualifying, but that's just the way things go, being the bottom guy on the totem pole..I get that. Worked my regular preload sort on Mon & Tues, drove yesterday & was informed last night by one of my supervisors that I was going to be needed to drive again today..So wasn't needed for preload..Which I was all for, nice to throw a dog a bone once in a while ya know. Drove in this morning, (15 miles each way) as soon as I get out of my vehicle & proceed to walk into the building, my phone rings..Part of me had a feeling this was gonna happen..One of the other bosses informs me that I'm not needed today, some staff changes needed to be made & the route I was supposed to drive was cut..He apologized, I didn't complain or anything. The boss that informed me last night that I was needed to drive today, approached me in the parking lot. Apologized to me several times..The bottom line here is, this just gets old. I lost hours for the day altogether, could've at least worked the preload which I would've been fine with..I just can't let this happen again, I advised my preload supervisor that from now on, I'll need to work the preload before I drive (besides during peak) to avoid this happening again..I want to stay on management's good side, because as much as I hate getting jerked around from time to time..I want to make this a career, cuz I don't really have anything else going for me. Just wanted to vent a little I guess, any advice would be cool. Just gonna have to keep playing the game I suppose..

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Ok..So today marks at least the third time now that this has happened, since I qualified as a cover driver 3 months ago..I've only drove probably 5 or 6 times since qualifying, but that's just the way things go, being the bottom guy on the totem pole..I get that. Worked my regular preload sort on Mon & Tues, drove yesterday & was informed last night by one of my supervisors that I was going to be needed to drive again today..So wasn't needed for preload..Which I was all for, nice to throw a dog a bone once in a while ya know. Drove in this morning, (15 miles each way) as soon as I get out of my vehicle & proceed to walk into the building, my phone rings..Part of me had a feeling this was gonna happen..One of the other bosses informs me that I'm not needed today, some staff changes needed to be made & the route I was supposed to drive was cut..He apologized, I didn't complain or anything. The boss that informed me last night that I was needed to drive today, approached me in the parking lot. Apologized to me several times..The bottom line here is, this just gets old. I lost hours for the day altogether, could've at least worked the preload which I would've been fine with..I just can't let this happen again, I advised my preload supervisor that from now on, I'll need to work the preload before I drive (besides during peak) to avoid this happening again..I want to stay on management's good side, because as much as I hate getting jerked around from time to time..I want to make this a career, cuz I don't really have anything else going for me. Just wanted to vent a little I guess, any advice would be cool. Just gonna have to keep playing the game I suppose..

Sent using BrownCafe App
If you qualified...and they called u from the parking lot a few minutes before your start time..aren't you still entitled to your 8 hr guarantee? Unless of course, you agreed to go home.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Thats the way the game is played homeboy unfortunately. Pretty soon it will be all hands on deck for peak so youll probably work every day soon. Get used to being poor as a mother as a cover driver. Try to learn as many routes as possible if you can, so you can work everyday. In the beginning bring your cherry lube with you everyday cause your going to need it lol. Weve all been through it, just the way the game is played. There is a light at the end of tunnel just hard to see it and understand it in the beginning. Going to be lots of days where you just want to quit but its just like anything else in life, you just have to keep plugging away at it if you want it bad enough. Just remember MONEY IS MOTIVATION son lol.

ChrisTheBrown

It's not really about money, I work a security job on Saturday & Sunday, sometimes get thrown more shifts..So I don't necessarily need the extra driving income, it's just my long term goal of being a daily cover driver, & ultimately full time.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It's not really about money, I work a security job on Saturday & Sunday, sometimes get thrown more shifts..So I don't necessarily need the extra driving income, it's just my long term goal of being a daily cover driver, & ultimately full time.

Sent using BrownCafe App
That's not the point....its the principle...they told you to come in, you did. Assuming you are entitled to an 8 hour guarantee...and you had said, I want to work today...it's funny how they would've magically found a route for you to run...lol.

ChrisTheBrown

I only know 2 routes though..& the one I know the best, that they had me scheduled to run, was cut supposedly. Mind as well just talk to my steward.

Sent using BrownCafe App

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Thing is, you gave up a sure thing (preload) based on what you were told by management. The driver gig went by the wayside (not your fault by any stretch) My thought is they owe you SOMETHING. Might be the PT guarantee or maybe the FT guarantee. You're out gas to drive to work and your time. Like BNB58 said, the guy who talked to you in the parking lot was sucking up to you, hoping you wouldn't force their hand, and make him look bad to his superiors. Like was said earlier, you need to spread your wings and run every route in your center. Better to learn them now than Dec 10 when the stops are doubled. Talk to your steward and hold their feet to the fire, don't let them bully you, because if you do, it won't stop. Good luck to you.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Have to have 24 hours notice if your start time was changed. Talk to your steward. Go to a few meetings. Become an informed member. So next you know your rights within your local and don't have to come on here an get 20 different opinions.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I only know 2 routes though..& the one I know the best, that they had me scheduled to run, was cut supposedly. Mind as well just talk to my steward.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Don't be afraid to go out blind. It'll all come off eventually I promise.

Sounds as though you're a TCD not a ft cover driver. You need to be willing to go out on anything and everything if you want your hours.

ChrisTheBrown

Just talked with my union rep, he said he'd try to touch base with my center manager & see if they can at least pay me for the preload..Not that I really need it, just the principle of the whole thing I guess. We'll see what happens.

Sent using BrownCafe App

ChrisTheBrown

Bottom line is this, I'm not gonna let them walk on me anymore..I pay a lot of money in union dues, just like everyone else. I'm not letting them get away with it this time. If they wanna take me off the road during peak, whatever..I don't really need it anyways.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UPSGUY72

Working the preload than driving in the same day becomes HOS problem. If you start the preload at 5 am and than drove after your preload shift you would have to be off the clock by 7 pm.

UPSGUY72

This is why there shouldn't be TCD. There only should be FT cover drivers. In my area the new contract has TCD language in it but they only can be used during peak.

Having TCDs is just another way UPS can say we don't need to hire more FT drivers.

By The Book

Sent using BrownCafe App
Call your local and talk to them. There may be something about if you are on layoff and work during the week, they may be required to work you the rest of the week.

10 point

You reported to work. Ask about that language.

Here, they have to pay a driver 6 hours to send him home when he was told to report and he reported.