Is Understaffed Cheaper?

El Morado Diablo

There is a 15 year service time gap between the topped out employees at my station and those on the next closest step (I think they're Step 4). That means no one who was hired in all the years between them stayed when they started stretching out the time to top out. All part of the FedEx plan. In less than 10 years there won't be many topped out employees at all.

yadig

The difference between step 10 and step 1 is $10-$12 an hour (depending on market level). At base level, a step 10 courier grosses $225 for an 8 hour day. A step 1 courier grosses slightly less than that for 8 hours plus 3 hours of OT. There are plenty of scenarios where that's worthy of serious consideration.

Attachments

• FB5EBB75-E21F-4C21-A37D-73FEB7F3038D.gif
    FB5EBB75-E21F-4C21-A37D-73FEB7F3038D.gif
    473.6 KB · Views: 49

floridays

There is a 15 year service time gap between the topped out employees at my station and those on the next closest step (I think they're Step 4). That means no one who was hired in all the years between them stayed when they started stretching out the time to top out. All part of the FedEx plan. In less than 10 years there won't be many topped out employees at all.
Fedex understands a person running a route for a few years is just as efficient as a topped out courier. They will get basically the same production from a 5 yr as they get from a 25 yr at much lowered cost.

Legitimate question.

If you guys and gals actually want to make a living and put something away for retirement, why don't you organize at the district level and plan a job action?

No blue collar since around 2003 or 2004 has any pension benefit. A 401-k is not a pension.

It's just a question, not directed to you only. I'm hoping someone else reading this to you might respond.

Star B

White Lightening
They could easily pay some veterans 2x what some of the new hires make and still come out ahead when you’re talking about productivity and vehicle collisions alone. And the crusty old veterans could still map their route in their head and go home by 2.
I wonder what has changed in the past year and a half to maybe address this?

Hmmm...

!Retired!

No blue collar since around 2003 or 2004 has any pension benefit. A 401-k is not a pension.
Anyone hired by FedEx before 1/1/21 has a pension. FYI......as of 2019, only 14% (70) of the Fortune 500 companies offer a pension. If that's what's most important to you, go work for one of those 70 companies.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Anyone hired by FedEx before 1/1/21 has a pension. FYI......as of 2019, only 14% (70) of the Fortune 500 companies offer a pension. If that's what's most important to you, go work for one of those 70 companies.
Seriously? You consider the PPA to be a pension? You'd starve to death on income from it!

Is it still offered as of 2022? Or have we fully transitioned to just the 401K and its temporary 8% match?

FedexCares

Seriously? You consider the PPA to be a pension? You'd starve to death on income from it!

Is it still offered as of 2022? Or have we fully transitioned to just the 401K and its temporary 8% match?
The pension is not offered to new employees but some people still have the pension if you didn’t elect to change to the new 401k plan when they gave us the option in 2020-2021.

I elected to keep the portable pension and the 3% company 401k match myself. It varied employee to employee whether it was worth staying or switching back when they gave us the option.

yadig

It’s the newbie’s at my ramp that are constantly leaving. Let them pay to train you and get your CDL and leave. Revolving door and the ot is nice also. The 20+ rtd’s ain’t leaving.

Questions Needed Answered

I certainly don’t know the averages around the entire company, but there aren’t a huge amount of Step 10 employees at my station. I know of only 4.

I’m at Step 5 and I’m sure if the company did the math they’d see that paying me roughly $5 more/hour ($40 a day) will get them further ahead then the new guy who barely got 30 stops done by 2:30. Or the other new guy at my station bringing 50 Dex 01s back every day.

The funny thing is I’m $5 more an hour right now, but I could even shave 2 hours off the guy doing it for $20/hour because I’m not an idiot. And? The customer got the package on the commit day.

The customer got the package on the commit day.
Is that really how you gauge your level of success ... on the commit day? And the company wonders why some couriers don't care about service.

Questions Needed Answered

You mean *any* topped out employees at all.

FedEx is looking for people like me; don't have to have the job and are looking for extra money and something to do. We don't cause trouble and do a "good enough" (ask Dano) job and don't cause a whole lot of problems. The entire paradigm of the company has turned into a retirement route. All you crusaders looking to save the company and all you runners looking to blow your knees out are doing it the wrong way.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Is that really how you gauge your level of success ... on the commit day? And the company wonders why some couriers don't care about service.
Why should it be on the courier’s shoulders when the company repeatedly fails to get the freight to the stations on time, or these whiz kid engineers who back off start times to look good on paper or managers who send their people out over capacity?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
FedEx is looking for people like me; don't have to have the job and are looking for extra money and something to do. We don't cause trouble and do a "good enough" (ask Dano) job and don't cause a whole lot of problems.
Mr. “I Don’t Need This Job” is the guy who isn’t very good. Every station has one from time to time. He usually lets people know he doesn’t need the job when he’s telling them that his boss wasn’t happy with one of his mess ups. Always critical of everything and everyone despite absolutely no background or experience in the industry. First one to tell how he’d do things if he was in charge.

Like I said, every station has one at some point.

McFeely

Huge Member

If I get the package during a Response sort and go back on road at 14:00, then yes. The amount of freight that doesn’t make it to our station on time isn’t under my control. I take care of my customers and commit times as best I can.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
The sad part is that some managers will let it go and never say anything about it. The even sadder part is that some couriers who misuse that code still miss goal by a mile.
Managers looked the other way because it kept them off the hot seat. Couriers used it because they were tasked with ridiculous requests. “Take and make service on this FO that totally disrupts your route”. It was abused until District put the clamps on it.